Fishing Vancouver Area Improving (pic)

FM,
Not looking for any specific spot but going out for Sat and Sun and have to decide between Sunset Marina to Horseshoe Bay strip, The Cap or possibly mouth of fraser. Would it be ok for you to advise which area might be better ? I suppose all I`d have to do is head out and see where all the boats are but might save a bit of gas with some advance knowledge. If you see an old 24` Fibreform sloshing around out there, give me a shout.
That goes for anyone else from the forum , too. Radio usually sits on 16 but if there is another channel that locals hang out on, let me know.

F.M. , It would be nice to see more people catch fish and keep the sport alive. We need to stick together. Tell us where you caught the friggen fish!;)

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

F.M. , It would be nice to see more people catch fish and keep the sport alive. We need to stick together. Tell us where you caught the friggen fish!;)

You're right. We do need to stick together. They were caught...in the ocean around Vancouver. [^]

I was out yesterday ,on a 4 hour boat rental from Sewells-Hshoe bay. Fished from about 3-7 pm, mostly trolling around the West van waterfront. Had no fish finder or downriggers ,so I knew that my chances of finding good salmon schools were slim.

The top line with the small pink apex and the pink spoons got no action whatsoever.The Deep 6 line with the flasher and anchovies was the only onethat got some love.

Had 2 or 3 good hits, with chewed up or absent bait to show for it but only when I got the bait down deep. I ended up getting a good hit, which I landed , and turned out to be a scrappy , little 5 lb ling , which I released as quickly as possible. Sure glad that I had the barb on my hook pinched down, and I'm pretty quick and steady handed with the needlenose, so she swam away unfettered , in the evening sun.

Great night ! I can start saving for next years local venture now....

Yeah baby, two weeks off starting right now...:)

Brother and nephew coming in from Alberta. Hope to get them into some spring action. And hey if not, there's all them pinks heading this way.

Now to find FM's boat out there and find that elusive "top secret hot spot" he's been talking about....:D

I like the coalport area, guess it's because that's where I was introduced to salmon fishing as a kid. But there's always Sand Heads, T-10, QA, Thrasher Rock for a nice day trip, should be a good vacation.

If you see an aluminum hull, white top, "North of 49" give us a shout. I usually talk on 68 but FM says channel 88A???

Good luck everybody.

quote:Originally posted by Northof49

Brother and nephew coming in from Alberta. Hope to get them into some spring action. And hey if not, there's all them pinks heading this way.

Now to find FM's boat out there and find that elusive "top secret hot spot" he's been talking about....:D

I like the coalport area, guess it's because that's where I was introduced to salmon fishing as a kid. But there's always Sand Heads, T-10, QA, Thrasher Rock for a nice day trip, should be a good vacation.

If you see an aluminum hull, white top, "North of 49" give us a shout. I usually talk on 68 but FM says channel 88A???

Good luck everybody.

Results from today--smaller fish.. a deuce of 16lb Whites and a 20 lb red.

Best depth of 65 feet. Cut plug herring on long leaders.

Must catch sleep....

quote:Originally posted by Northof49

Good luck everybody.

Here are those pics from earlier this week....

the one with the 2 fish are from Tuesday, the one with the 4 fish are from Wednesday.

Sorry to break the news to everyone but a Superpod of Killer Whales (40 ++++) were in BIG TIME TONIGHT and were feeding off the mouth of the Fraser and picked the South, Middle and Finally North Arms CLEAN. They were feeding heavy. They finished up in the Vancouver Harbour then headed south again. No point in fishing out there for the next few days...

Cam002.jpg

Cam005.jpg

Cam004.jpg

quote:

Sorry to break the news to everyone but a Superpod of Killer Whales (40 ++++) were in BIG TIME TONIGHT and were feeding off the mouth of the Fraser and picked the South, Middle and Finally North Arms CLEAN. They were feeding heavy. They finished up in the Vancouver Harbour then headed south again. No point in fishing out there for the next few days...

You're just trying to hog the water for yourself.

Well I'm heading out, Whales or no... 24 fat anchovies and a good attitude. See you out there!

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Dean

quote:

You're just trying to hog the water for yourself.

Could be, but why would I? When there are that many fish in the Killer Whale's bellies now...I mean...go 'git 'em....if you want salmon you may as well fish for the Killer Whales!

There were a few boats out there last night who saw it happen.

Fish are all over and move with the tides just as bait is moved with the tides.

One thing for sure not much in front of Stanley Park quite yet.

I see the same boats(s) there almost every night and there's nothing to hold them there for long.

Look for the upcoming evening flood tides.....;)

Dogbreath, Would you be so kind as to explain to us which way the bait travels with the tides? I believe the Cap is better on an ebb, then what? Do you move to the Q.A. or T-10 on the flood?

quote: I believe the Cap is better on an ebb, then what? Do you move to the Q.A. or T-10 on the flood?

The West Van waterfront is best on a flood</u> once it starts to ebb head over to the Bell Buoy.

Of course you can catch fish there on the ebb but the bite isn't the same.

Too tired to explain further.

Well we were out at QA for the morning - got out around 7:30am and boy was it snotty out there! We were marking huge schools of fish off the mouth of the north arm but nothing we threw at them enticed a bite.

We had a chovie down at 45 for most of the day and picked up puppies with it.. fished hootchies, spoons, apex's & squirts off the other rods between 20 & 50 and didn't get a sniff all day.

Must have been the super pod that moved in over the weekend.

2 mid sized fish taken off the Bell Buoy this AM-not by me.
fishing0826.07002.jpg

fishing0826.07003.jpg

Headed out with the boat owner (the guy in the bottom picture aka Big Jay) later in the afternoon, we managed 3 hard takes some sizzling runs and lost each fish!

Anchovy in Purple Haze teaser head @40'.

Someone in the post said that it looked like a white. Can u tell from the outside whether it is white or red? I caught a few whites this summer and couldnt see the difference.

Okay, this is probably a stupid question but here goes. I usually fish with my father in-law off the cap and still get confused with all the markers out there. Which one is the Bell Buoy?

Fished off the mouth of the cap this evening. Had a double header of pinks, woohoo! that was it. Didn't see one other fish caught between 5 and 8 pm.

quote:Originally posted by Merrittboy

Someone in the post said that it looked like a white. Can u tell from the outside whether it is white or red? I caught a few whites this summer and couldnt see the difference.
Lift up the gill plate and you should be able to see some of the flesh.

quote:Originally posted by chromechaser

Okay, this is probably a stupid question but here goes. I usually fish with my father in-law off the cap and still get confused with all the markers out there. Which one is the Bell Buoy?

Fished off the mouth of the cap this evening. Had a double header of pinks, woohoo! that was it. Didn't see one other fish caught between 5 and 8 pm.

The Bell Buoy is the Red marker off Spanish Bank that actually does have a bell that rings all the time.

Thanks for the info from the Cap I wondered what was going on there last night.

Back