Fishing partners

This is sad but true. Technically speaking accepting any money for gas or bait (even $5.00) constitutes a business arrangement, thus nullifying insurance on a pleasure fishing boat. Just be very careful that any fishing partner agreement is not for money unless you are fully covered and certified to do business. There would be nothing worse for something to go wrong on the chuck and end up in court with your fishing partner's lawyers trying take your lifesavings from you.

To circumvent this reality, just ask for a donation once you have got back on terra firma at the dock.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Yeah and if a "friend" tried that I would then argue that the payment was ever received. ....No invoice?....good luck trying to sue.

Two guys going fishing should go 50/50 period. ...or I get one trip you get the next.

Ahhhhh Hummmm , Ahhhh Hummm !!!... [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Cheers ,,,FD...;)
quote:Originally posted by highlights

Yeah and if a "friend" tried that I would then argue that the payment was ever received. ....No invoice?....good luck trying to sue.

Two guys going fishing should go 50/50 period. ...or I get one trip you get the next.

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

I've fished with a number of Guys I've met on this Forum over the years, a very solid, reliable, knowledgeable & personable bunch. [8D]

billreidsalmon.jpg

The best fishing partner you could all have is a young kid who just wants to be on the water....
Look around guy's and the true fishing partners are all around us.
I speak from experience as well as loss...and for all the time I spend guiding every goddam day I have off I spend with my boy....
I guess I spend a few day's with the rest of the family here and there but when you've got the bug....4am comes to early for most!

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

Good call ritch, I take my 12 year old son with me whenever I can, i just find it hard hittin him up for $[:p]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I drill and push on the oil rigs and my schedules 20 and 10 of corse all my buddys work week days and most don't winter fish just me I'm in for sure I usually just hit thrasher in niami but if I no somebodys willing bamfeild would be awsome I've got a 2009 striper 22ft and she's loaded bsudsy@telus.blackberry.net e-mail if your interested especially with the hali fishing coming up I pull my boat down to peddar bay but I'd love to play in barkley

I always loved the sticker I saw on old bananas boat

"THIS BOAT RUNS ON GAS NOT FRIENDSHIP"</u>

So very true especially now it seems we have all gone to bigger boats I remember when a 21 ft boat was a boat people would drool over as we all had 16 to 18 ft double eagles,hourston,sangster etc
now its 23 to 28 footers is the norm.

BTW the perfect fishing partner is one who brings lunch and bevies and at the end fills up the tank.food for thought for people who dont have a boat!!!when someone who owns a boats asks you to go fishing thats what you should do as many think ohh its just a boat it only cost 30 bucks in fuel WRONG!!!!!!!!!

The things you dont see is the owner re wiring things bilges,downriggers etc then all the matenance of the boat and trailer. the insurance,moorage,bait usually he has on the boat there is many hidden costs that you dont see. this is why you i see many guys book 4 or 5 trips a year as its cheaper in the long run to book charters than to spend 20 or 30 grand on a boat and all the things needed.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

yeah, $30 for fuel. That cracks me up. I let themm watch me fuel the sucker up . Always cracks me up when I see the bead of sweat rolling off their brow when filling a full tank with more than half their mortgage payment. Suddenly they can't buy enough beer and chips for you. At least the thought is there.

I want one of them stickers, where did Trev get it? Nothing funnier than filling up both empty tanks and watching the eyes bulge out when we take on 900 litres:D:D:D

Searun

th_067.jpg

Very true. It is quite a shame how non boat owners dont realize the true cost of everything. Like Wolf stated how they believe $30 is plenty for a day of fishing. The amount of money fisherman spend on mending things on the boat, extra gear, maintnence, and bait is no small numbers. I have sure realized who my true fishing buddies are after a couple seasons of heading out there and your so called buddy wont even let a $20 bill release from his grips.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

I had a buddy who didn't carry his own weight with the gas money, but didn't just ride as a guest.... he'd give me a $10-15 or three or four spinners about every 8 -10 trips out...and I'm spending $25 - 30 per trip (gas was a bit cheaper then)... I'm sure he thought he was "doing his part" even though he'd see me fill the tank and knew the boat only got 2 miles per gallon. It's just as likely he wasn't cheap, just bad at math.

When taking out a group of other guys, I mentioned the first guy's tendencies and said "I can barely afford my OWN fishing, let alone subsidizing somebody elses who earns more than I do!" They've been better about chipping in.

Here's a question: What do you guys do if a guest drops some of your gear overboard or breaks it etc.? I'm not talking about one or two lures or weights. A friend dropped my Leatherman tool into the salt. He offered to give me his bulkier, used and slightly rusted Gerber and I declined (because I like the slimmer, lighter Leatherman for everyday wear). He never offered to replace it with a like model ($43), which I would have insisted on if I'd dropped his in the drink. I'm now extremely reluctant to let him even hold a rod of mine with an expensive Avet ($200-400) reel on it (he broke two of his own rods in one day last year) knowing he doesn't replace his mistakes.

Do you guys replace any gear you drop overboard? I would. How do you handle that situation? When it comes to gas, I always ask the skipper what his burn rate is, estimate the hours, divide by the number of guests, and bump it up a notch and pay that.

CW

Satisfaction: 23' Aluminum Thunderjet with Ford 460 salmon fishing the Columbia River

Nice sticker! :D

900 litres isn’t bad… can you say 1120 litres (296 US gallons). I have had several people over the years give a marina a credit card and told them to put the gas on it – And, I do have to admit I have fun with that one. You should really hear the comments and see those eyes light up, as I will usually be on empty and fill’er up!! Most really don’t understand or know the cost of owning, maintaining, or operating! So, don’t be too hard on them!

I let everyone know upfront, the rules on my boat and they are simple. It applies to all, except my own kids and grandkids! You’re on the boat, you pay your share, or, they don’t go fishing! Everything used, lost, or broken is put in the “pot”, and divided equally.

I tell people upfront that they are expected to share for gas and they pay for any gear they lose. I give them a rough estimate of what it will cost depending on where we go-so it is no surprize!! I usually fish for 3 days with these guys off Wcvi. I leave home with a full tank in the truck and on the boat-we fill both up before the boat goes home and I split the cost with them-usually runs 150 each-I haven't been stiffed yet cause I can't afford a free rider. If I had a none payer I just would take him off the list-message sent! I absorb the maintenance and insurance and pay my share of gas but that is the cost of having a nice boat which is a pleasure to fish.Just explain it up front!!

Hey there charlie. i dunno if springing the huge fuel bill on guys is the best idea personaly. Do you by chance tell them ahead of time, like "hey this is a huge tank so be prepared for maxing out the plastic" haha. Just because I have had buddies come with me and ive only got a 19.5 K&C with a 4.3 chev motor. it burns a fair bit but never would i surprise them with such a stagering fuel bill

quote:Originally posted by BoyWonder

Hey there charlie. i dunno if springing the huge fuel bill on guys is the best idea personaly. Do you by chance tell them ahead of time, like "hey this is a huge tank so be prepared for maxing out the plastic" haha. Just because I have had buddies come with me and ive only got a 19.5 K&C with a 4.3 chev motor. it burns a fair bit but never would i surprise them with such a stagering fuel bill

Never let them pay the whole thing! Just their share! :D
I have fuel meters on both engines, so I know what is burnt on each individual trip and divide that out, but again it is fun to see and hear the looks and comments! FYI, my largest single fuel bill in the past 3 years - $1,611.00, in Victoria!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by BoyWonder

Never let them pay the whole thing! Just their share! :D
I have fuel meters on both engines, so I know what is burnt on each individual trip and divide that out, but again it is fun to see and hear the looks and comments! FYI, my largest single fuel bill in the past 3 years - $1,611.00, in Victoria!

Hey Charlie, would that have been last summer when gas was $1.50 per litre?

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Back