Fishing partners

I had a neighbor ask me to take out a couple of out of town friends, so off we go fishing for 10 hours, caught or limit of salmon drank everybeer in the fridge and I cleaned the fish, they pool there money and hand me $50 buck. I was running a 25 boat which burnt about 200 in fuel!

Since then I sold my boat and fish with a buddy in his 18 foot boat I pay for fuel and always bring the beer, which I think is fair because I know he spends propably a grand on insurance and basic maintenance and has about 20+ thousand invested in his boat.

HEY boywonder that boat that you take fishing is a fiberform !!!! far from a k&c, yoda wouldnt be happy with you......;);)

Wolf

Used to have a sticker; Gas, Grass, or butt. Nobody rides for free.
My main fishing partner has got it figured out.(Mrs. Playnow)
I buy the gas, I don't smoke, soo....:):D

Gee... I'm newer to Salt water fishing and read through these posting and can't believe that people don't realize what it cost to go fishing. I have a buddy out of Courtney who I met up with last July fishing that area and paid for his gas every day, bought the bait, beers and if I had a hook that was working and he didn't have it I gave it to him. Always easier to buy another one. He has been fishing for around 4 years there and low and behold I hooked and landed a nice 25lb hali. First one he has landed in his boat. I don't think he could believe I gave him half the fish... My moto is the first or biggest always goes to the boat unless he offers it back.

I have 14' tin can with a 40hp for lakes and hooked up with a buddy out of white Rock who has a 19.5 foot Aluminum for salt. I made a deal with him to use his boat when I want. Bought him a new color Garmin sounder and 2 electric Scotties. I really appreciate the fact that he will let me use his boat or go with him. saves me buying a boat. Just bought a couple of Mooching reels and rods and dropped them off at his house.

Growing up in SK my brother-in-law use to flip me the keys to his new Mustang GT and his 18' with a 220hp Yamaha (in 1988)for a weekend when I was 25. and when I brought back it was always better than when I used it...

Saying that I'm on the mainland and do have a lot of holidays in a days notice. I'm not in a position to drop huge $$$ a day but I'll pay my share and more.($100-$200day) I have gear and would really like to get out more. I'm planning on heading over to West Coast for a week or 2 this summer and would like to meet up with a few guys for fishing partners.

I will not be ready to head out till April but here is my email to keep me in the loop. bar_rig@yahoo.com i have never fished West Coast, Bamfield, or Sooke area but really want to get out that way.

Cheers, Rob

Hey guys, keep talking about those enormous gas bills- I think my two foot-itis is going away!:D

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

I have a few of those stickers, they had them at mill bay marina years ago, easy to have made up. I can take a pic of the one on my boat if you want.

www.tailspincharters.com

Sure, that would help...too funny how guys who are non boat owners have no clue....and as Charlie says never mind just the gas, there are all the other incidentals. I don't see guys sweating it when they drop a few down rigger clips over the side...."oh well, no big deal" is the usual answer...I like doing the tally idea and everyone sharing in the risk and reward. Split the cost and the catch.:)

Searun

th_067.jpg

I get realy choked when I lose those release clips.. its like, ok, there goes another 12$. Or having someone take the wheel while you work the gear, stacked up one side (of course the kicker side), then proceed to the other side, look up for a second only to realize the boat is in full hard over turn just as the kicker chops off the rigger line! Arrrg! a 15lb cannonball, two clips, and over 100' of expensive braided downrigger line.. oh well, its only 100$ worth of gear, or more!!! I get really quiet when something like this happens... pretty much fuming inside! Im putting a rear steering helm this year though, and I dont like being negative, but im sure theyll find something to break, lose or whatever..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I get realy choked when I lose those release clips.. its like, ok, there goes another 12$. Or having someone take the wheel while you work the gear, stacked up one side (of course the kicker side), then proceed to the other side, look up for a second only to realize the boat is in full hard over turn just as the kicker chops off the rigger line! Arrrg! a 15lb cannonball, two clips, and over 100' of expensive braided downrigger line.. oh well, its only 100$ worth of gear, or more!!! I get really quiet when something like this happens... pretty much fuming inside! Im putting a rear steering helm this year though, and I dont like being negative, but im sure theyll find something to break, lose or whatever..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

The one last year that killed me was when I was out with Richmake in hardy, and i was opperating the downriggers, and was nit paying full attention and the ball hit the top of the rigger and snapped off. I felt horrible. Being the fisherman that I am and knowing the costs, I dont know if i coulda hve appologized any more. When we returned to the dock I gave him a couple cold beers. Somtimes accidents happen. But its the preventable ones that stick im your mind.

-Steve

The one last year that killed me was when I was out with Richmake in hardy, and i was opperating the downriggers, and was nit paying full attention and the ball hit the top of the rigger and snapped off. I felt horrible. Being the fisherman that I am and knowing the costs, I dont know if i coulda hve appologized any more. When we returned to the dock I gave him a couple cold beers. Somtimes accidents happen. But its the preventable ones that stick im your mind.

-Steve

quote: all of these things are just common sense....and if they aren't common sense to a person,

You are appsolutely right. I find that a lot of people do not have common sense these days or just don't care. I guess I have something going for me if my buddy is willing to give me his boat when I want to go out. Rule of thumb for me is the person that breaks it pays for it. Snapping off a down rigger equals not paying attention. Some one making a hard turn should know better.

Cheers, Rob

PS: Last year my buddy took his boat up Island for 5 days of fishing, I timed it that when my buddy was done I took take over for the following 3 days. Worked out great as we only had to pay the ferry costs once for the boat.

quote: all of these things are just common sense....and if they aren't common sense to a person,

You are appsolutely right. I find that a lot of people do not have common sense these days or just don't care. I guess I have something going for me if my buddy is willing to give me his boat when I want to go out. Rule of thumb for me is the person that breaks it pays for it. Snapping off a down rigger equals not paying attention. Some one making a hard turn should know better.

Cheers, Rob

PS: Last year my buddy took his boat up Island for 5 days of fishing, I timed it that when my buddy was done I took take over for the following 3 days. Worked out great as we only had to pay the ferry costs once for the boat.

Island Fish Lifter, the way I solved guy,s shearing off $100 worth of gear on my kicker was to spend $100 on a prop saver. Was one of the best investments ever as every year someone forgets currents send the boat in circles while gear is being sent down by me, and I can always correct it without lost cable and gear!! (not to mention wrapping steel cable around your kickers prop can't be good for it) As far as the people who think being out there is a right they should have and don't need to replace lost gear or gas should only have that thought once, as they will not get invited a second time. I am like you where I get quiet and wait for them to say something about replacing it, and if they don't I look at it as it is more their loss than mine because unlike them I can go out on my boat again.

Island Fish Lifter, the way I solved guy,s shearing off $100 worth of gear on my kicker was to spend $100 on a prop saver. Was one of the best investments ever as every year someone forgets currents send the boat in circles while gear is being sent down by me, and I can always correct it without lost cable and gear!! (not to mention wrapping steel cable around your kickers prop can't be good for it) As far as the people who think being out there is a right they should have and don't need to replace lost gear or gas should only have that thought once, as they will not get invited a second time. I am like you where I get quiet and wait for them to say something about replacing it, and if they don't I look at it as it is more their loss than mine because unlike them I can go out on my boat again.

quote:Originally posted by HSM542

I went one step further, I got rid of my kicker! That'll show 'em!

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by HSM542

I went one step further, I got rid of my kicker! That'll show 'em!

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Moorage, accomodation, fuel, wear and tear... it all adds up pretty friggin quick all right.

Too bad. Good company is hard to find though.

So I will get ahold of some of you to fish this spring. Tied up for the next couple weeks. Sneaking out for the odd tide mind you... after that we'll do it.

Gimee the gaff!!!

Back