Fishing Bait Scents

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I've never used scents before but smarter fishermen have told me I should. Is there any one better
scent than the others and is there different scents for bottom fishing vs Salmon fishing?

I like the gel scents because they stay on your lures longer. I personally use anchovy or sardine and it's hard to say if it makes a difference. We always scent.

X-10 is my favourite. A drop on every spoon or hoochie going down but be careful scent spreads onto everything if not careful. Creates issues on everything it touches....gets on fingers - line - release clips - reel handles, a drop on gel coat stains terribly, stains hoochies, etc.

Years ago, I attended a salmon fishing seminar at the Vancouver Boat show. When the question of using scents on lures came up, the speaker referenced an experiment using scent versus no scent on lures with salmon in a tank. While the scent did not "attract" fish, they found that depending on who had handled the lure, human scent often times repelled the fish. Apparently, some of us emit a strong odor (especially after several days fishing I suppose) that will actually repel the fish. So, really what you are trying to do is mask your scent. Which is why some people use WD-40 and apparently it works too.

Given all of the other things that most fisherman will spend money on to improve our odds of hooking up, adding scent is probably the least expensive one. Kind of like a teenage boy using aftershave I suppose - it may not improve their odds, but they certainly think it does.

Last edited:
I melt Vaseline and put X10 in it. Basically the same as Pautzke's product but better. Stays on your lure longer than just liquid
I've got other liquids to put in scent chambers when Hali fishing. Anything is better than nothing

I would like to know what the shelf life of an opened bottle of scent is? Can't seem to get an answer from anyone.

Years ago, I attended a salmon fishing seminar at the Vancouver Boat show. When the question of using scents on lures came up, the speaker referenced an experiment using scent versus no scent on lures with salmon in a tank. While the scent did not "attract" fish, they found that depending on who had handled the lure, human scent often times repelled the fish. Apparently, some of us emit a strong odor (especially after several days fishing I suppose) that will actually repel the fish. So, really what you are trying to do is mask your scent. Which is why some people use WD-40 and apparently it works too.

Given all of the other things that most fisherman will spend money on to improve our odds of hooking up, adding scent is probably the least expensive one. Kind of like a teenage boy using aftershave I suppose - it may not improve their odds, but they certainly think it does.
Agree as well...make all my guests wash hands before/during trip and advise no lotions, sun screen,
aftershave (brute). haha shows my age

Tried looking up “Charlie White” bilge water videos with out success. I remember watching them as a little kid.

Last edited:
Do you put the scent on the spoon or hootchie? On the hook? What do you do with the lures once you're done fishing for the day?
Put a light coat on lure surfaces - you can leave it on. Be careful to not get any on the release clip pads butt it will make them slippery.
I would like to know what the shelf life of an opened bottle of scent is? Can't seem to get an answer from anyone.
From experience, at least 5 years

Never used once in my lifetime on any lure for salmon but always for hali.

Back