FIRST NATIONS selling SOCKEYE ?!?!

Come on you guy's, this selling of fish has been going on forever, long before the europeans showed up. It is their right to sell or trade the fish they catch and it's a win win situation. The First Nations make a few bucks, the consumer gets a deal and the fish isn't wasted if someone buys it. The sporties can get out and catch their limit or stop on the way home and pick some up off the reserve to top off their catch.

Agreed Alumaman. Most of the seller's don't even fish for the fish...they recieve it from the fishers who go out and get it and it gets iced or frozen and then sent around to vaious reserves around the island and mainland.Also,there is a pick up for non reserve living native peeps too.
People do buy these fish too. Ever see the prices for a couple sockeye or pink steaks in the grocery store...!?!?!?!!?!
Thinking about whether its right or wrong is not even on my mind. It's just the way things are. I don't target sockeye or any fish really and get out when I can to try n get a fish on.
I met up with a couple Nanaimo natives involved with the nanaimo river fisheries coupel days ago on the Nanaimo river who are advocates of sustaining and protecting the Nanaimo river spring and summer run of chinook and all other species thru out the year and they said they try and educate their peoples about the signifgance of not over harvesting the fish with the netting in this river.
They were getting on land visuals of where the salmons were stacking up at various holes from the mouth and all the way up river.
uhhh...dunno where I'm going with this other than to say that .... alot of natives do care about the fisheries. It's the lazy non working welfare resipient fn that usually go and sell the fish that they recieve for "food fish"...there..I said it! :D

When money is involved there have to be rules that are followed or greed will set in and I know, and you should....THE FISH WILL PAY THE PRICE. I would never buy fish not legally caught and sold. Your only hurting yourself and screwing some poor guy who has followed the law and bought and is paying for a commercial license and vessel.

quote:It's the lazy non working welfare resipient fn that usually go and sell the fish that they recieve for "food fish"...there..I said it! :D

What if they just don't like eating Salmon? Ever think about that? Not every Native likes to eat it (imagine that) but they still get there 25 fish. Let it rot or sell it to whitey? Likly the only way to solve the problem is to licence them, let them sell there 25 fish at a community roadside stand if they choose to do so, but then you could at least have some CFIA rules followed. Then anyone fishing in the river is breaking the law. simple, and I bet all the cheifs would sign on too. For the most part they don't like seeing their band members taking advantage of the fish, but will back them up if push comes to shove. If we gave them at least that much then it would be better for everyone involved.

I know a few FN peeps that don't like the fish they sell cause it's all they ate through out their lives when they were younger. I also know some that jus plain don't like fish. Dunno if it be worth it for the seller's to buy license's unless they get more than their share to sell. It's free to them and they know they got the opportunity to sell it. My gf got 50 fish once and we kept a few that we sent to St. jean's to make candied. I gave a few whole fish away to co-worker's on the job site and also gave away quite a few packages of the candied that St. Jean's made. Canned a shyte load too. She recieved for 2 people at once. None of it makes sense. I can't do much about it. No one can.

Maybe the public should be the ones to blame.. It's like Johnny crack dealer with his regular clientel of users, as long as they keep a comin, he keeps a sellin.. It is the users, not the takers that keep this crap going.-dirty[}:)]

Went down to one of the bands on the fraser and they were selling them for 12 bucks a fish, i started talking to the old native lady and she said the majority of the fish caught by her 2 boats were going over to Germany as her son had worked on the bridge projects and they were run by the Germans who love salmon. So the question is, does this sound fair, fishing the waters to make money? sounds like something the boats with a C at the begining of the regi number do???? Dont take it the wrong way everyone. Just think about the whole fishery and how they do things wether they are FN, or you!!

HPIM1274-1.jpg

Every FN memeber on this coast deserves to make a moderate livlihood off the resources that are exploited daily by non-natives. Enough is enough Congratulations to Chemainus FN in stopping the commercial fishery in their own back yard! Way to take</u> a piece of the action.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

When money is involved there have to be rules that are followed or greed will set in and I know, and you should....THE FISH WILL PAY THE PRICE. I would never buy fish not legally caught and sold. Your only hurting yourself and screwing some poor guy who has followed the law and bought and is paying for a commercial license and vessel.

Yup. It's the same as buying stolen property from a crack head. If people don't buy it then the market is gone

They sell the fish and get cash and then go to McDonald's.

They sell the fish and get cash and then go to McDonald's.

Back