FIRST NATIONS selling SOCKEYE ?!?!

Woody

Returning from a quick weekend of fishing in Tofino around 4pm sunday July 11th, I was infuriated to see almost every house in the Native reserve on the west side of Port Alberni with SOCKEYE FOR SALE signs posted loud and proud, and sitting at the end of their driveways selling coolers full of Sockeye. There had to be over 20 signs and 20 different groups selling fish. To my understanding, First nations is allowed to net the rivers ( which I think is BS) for fish for their personal use only not for re-sale. I was completely pissed to come around the corner and see numerous native boats laying nets across the SOMASS River in Port Alberni just beyond the Cluetsi marina knowing they are turning around and selling them on the street on a busy Sunday afternoon to all the tourists cming home from Tofino. And people wonder where all the sockeye are going. Time to re-think Native rights on fishing! And everything else for that matter! Abuse it and lose it!

Yup, 40 fish per houldhold allowed. They were actually all cleaned this time round too.
Hey Woody, I see your kinda new here. Jus rehash the old post from years past and you'll see it ain't as surprising as you make your title look. ;)

what am I looking for in old posts? Relatively new to here perhaps, but a lifetime living/fishing BC. You got double the posts, what does it matter? Just pissed that our sockeye stocks are in such decline and this crap is still going on!!! Sounds like you don't care if one day there will be no more Salmon?

quote:Originally posted by Woody

what am I looking for in old posts? Relatively new to here perhaps, but a lifetime living/fishing BC. You got double the posts, what does it matter? Just pissed that our sockeye stocks are in such decline and this crap is still going on!!! Sounds like you don't care if one day there will be no more Salmon?

If you search the old posts you'll see that the Natives in PA have been selling sockeye from their homes for years.Given the time of year you can see them selling Coho and Chinooks and even the odd Steelhead as well.This isn't anything new!
I'm not sure about your comment about our Sockeye stocks in decline.Compare this years return to last years return.The predicted return of 600K for this year was higher than last years actual return and this years return has already been upgraded to 850k.It may well reach a million fish.
I'd be very careful accusing people on this board of not caring about the future of our salmon especially considering your apparent lack of understanding with regards to this issue.
Dave

There's a variety of signs out today.
Fresh fish, Iced fresh fish and
'Well handled iced fresh fish' [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Woody

Yip Alberni is doing quite for sox.. and Yup you can buy sockeye from every second house on the reserve for the last 20 years that I can remember.
Its legal now for most but been legal (as far as I know) for them for a long time.
Old news.........
When it ends up in ditches its a pi$$ off

I dont sell my sportfish that I have caught and it certainly doesnt end up in the landfill LOL!!! I smoke it like the FN used to do... or preserve it in cans. It doesnt go in the ditch at the end of the day..

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

...but so called sport angler fuc's with freezer loads of wasted fish going to the land fill from the previous year is good to go and much better than the other sectors, eh??? must be eh!

get facked!

r.

Sounds like someone's off the wagon again!

Agreed Unknown, The problem lies on mis management and mal practice by all sectors, but not every sector can NET countless fish from rivers and turn around and sell on the curb? I respect the first nations rights and traditions, and have quite a few FN friends, but what I saw pisses me off. Just saying...

Why not just let us sporties use gill nets to catch our fish too. Then we can all equally share in the demise of all fishes.

I think we are all direct ring our anger at the wrong group. Its not the FN or the FEDs its the consumer....We as sport fishermen have boats, rods, vehicle's, licenses etc. And we enjoy our fishing time at our cost..Now what pmoff is the average joy that gets in his vehicle goes for a drive and buys his fish at the corner FN store. He has no cost, has not contributed to the resource,probably doesn't even like to fish, yet he is the ultimate misuser of the resource these are the people we need to step on..

The offender is the gill net itself or the fish farm net. Get rid of the gear and a big step towards restoring runs will have been made. Nets and fish don't mix...the fish always loose. Not just salmon, every fish on the planet.

Sockeye for sale at Cooper Rd in View Royal near Vic too. According to the sign I saw on a power pole at Tillicum and Craigflower on Sunday. Alberni Sockeye???

THey are P.A. fish. I know, was staying in Makola housing when they posted the destination of pick-up, 25 per house hold.
Alot of FN already have a private buyer for their fish but still some don't and sell it roadside. I wouldn't neccasarily trust the handling of these fish either, some have thawed and been refroze due to hang time while figuring out what they gonna do to sell thier fish.

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

...DFO's deal fell apart with local PA area FN - all fishing is still classed under food & ceremonial. Any buyer who makes a transaction does in fact contravene the fisheries act.

[hint]The only chance for directing change in the FN sector will be through the food health act, along with a commercial deal to help encourage accountability there by creating level balance and equal opportunity between all sectors.

Start negotiating today!
Theres a good idea... But I have seen what they feel about the fisheries act.

Funny how all this seemed to happen a fistful of years ago, huge run, all over the news socks everywhere and then a couple years later boooom crying the blues pointing fingers on where they all went. What cant they just set a f@#kin sustainable small limit for ever party and be done with it. Natives on the same playing field as whites and so on. How many more hundreds of years is this bulls@$t going to go on. I remember now why i don't go fishing anymore in PA. No one group owns these fish. period.

quote:Theres a good idea... But I have seen what they feel about the fisheries act

The First Nations know where they stand in the courts of law, complying with the fisheries act is optional.

Back