Find out whre your Fed Party Candidate Stands on Fish Farming

Whole in the Water

If you are interested in (for or against) net pen fish farms check this link out: https://www.wildfirst.ca/pledge-tracker/

Interesting to note that that results to date are:
  • only 3 Liberals and 1 Conservative candidate signed,
  • only Liberal and Conservative candidates declined to sign,
  • no NDP or Green candidates declined to sign,
  • the large majority of those who did sign were NDP and Green candidates.
Something to think about. Interpret the results as you wish...

Last edited:
I believe the greens are the only ones that have announced with will get rid off fish farms.

I agree for thoes that are passionate about removing fish farms they should vote NDP or greens.

The conservative candidate in my riding has declined. I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and the young chap wasn’t able to answer most of my questions. Neither he was able to clearly articulate his party’s position on the matter. He gave me a bunch of BS and our conversation ended with him agreeing to do some research and get back to me - which he never did.

Guess he’s been educating himself on the topic and has aligned his position with the wants of his corporate donors. My useless Lib MP hasn’t signed either.

I think when you take into consideration all aspects, not just fish farms. A vote for conservative is key. Green only party that has EVER said get them out. But they also want some absurd amount of ocean protected so we won’t be able to fish anywhere. Or hunt as land too. It’s about a balance...opportunity, standing up to FN insane requests, fish farms, habitat etc

I clicked the link to the Fisheries Minister, who's riding I am not in, to see what the response would be.
Here's the response:

Hello Mark,

I'm emailing you on Jonathan's behalf as his Campaign Manager.

Unfortunately, as the sitting Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, he is not permitted to sign the pledge. This was something we were advised of by the Office of the Ethics Commissioner.

However, you will be interested (and I hope pleased) to know that as part of our fully-costed Election platform, which we released on Sunday, we have committed to transitioning away from open net pens to closed containment in BC by 2025.

Warm regards,
Laura

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 15:59, G. Mark Callagan <mcallagan@shaw.ca> wrote:
Dear Fisheries Minister,

I am writing to you as a concerned Canadian who cares deeply about our endangered wild Pacific salmon. I understand you have recently been asked to sign the Wild Salmon Forever pledge to signal your support for transitioning salmon farming from the use of open net pens which permit the transfer of sea lice, viruses and other pathogens between farmed and wild salmon to sustainable closed containment aquaculture systems which prevent such transfers.

I urge you to take this pledge and commit to protecting this iconic species. If you have not already, please fill out the pledge and return it to info@WildSalmonForever.com (copied on this email).

Sincerely,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Campaign Manager
Team Jonathan - North Vancouver

Back