Candidates offer synopsis on halibut

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/Candidates+offer+synopsis+halibut/4618907/story.html

Candidates offer synopsis on halibut

Courier-Islander April 15, 2011

Question:

Recreational fishing groups say the current halibut quota allocation is unfair and damaging to local economies. What should be done to ensure a fair split between commercial and sport fishers, and to maximize the economic benefits of the fishery?

John Duncan, Conservative:

I have committed to work with the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans to achieve a resolution that addresses the interests of all sectors before the next season. The stocks should be managed and fished sustainably to protect jobs for the current and next generation, particularly when the total allowable catch is at the bottom of the cycle, as halibut is now. I have spoken with recreational, commercial and First Nation representatives. The current conflict is benefiting no one. We can work together, as BC sectors, and provide a BC solution to the Fisheries Minister rather than receive a made in Ottawa political decision.

Sue Moen, Green Party:

The principles of the Oceans Act call for improving public participation in decision-making and in particular engaging coastal and Aboriginal communities in local fisheries management. Commercial fishing quotas should be transferred from corporations to individual fishermen or fishing communities. Individuals or communities would receive a set quota per season, per species. These quotas would be transferable such that they may be exchanged for quotas of other species.

As MP, I will work to strengthen the Fisheries Act to: require evaluation of threats to fish stocks and include provisions to protect fish stocks and the marine environment and make protection of critical stocks and habitat mandatory. I will support development of more sustainable ways of harvesting marine resources, including value-added processing; give funding priority to small-scale projects to restore and enhance wild fish stocks, and support increased non-extractive tourism businesses.

Mike Holland, Liberal:

The recreational fishery has put forward at least two proposals, both of which seem fairer than making it lease allocation from the commercial fishery year after year. One is to establish a "use it or lose it" policy to slowly transfer quota from holders who don't fish (the so-called "slipper skipper') and the other is to remove the quota from the recreational fisher and simply allocate it a set number of fish before establishing the allowable catch for the commercial fishers. The allocation system is broken and we must consult openly with commercial and recreational fishers to fix it. The Liberals will champion our valuable recreational fishery while ensuring that those who make their living on the sea are not hurt in the process. The first step is to bring everyone to the table and get them working together; something John Duncan seems unable or unwilling to do.

Ronna-Rae Leonard, NDP:

Both commercial and recreational fishery sectors have grave concerns with the privatization of the halibut fishery through the current quota system. The Individual Transferrable Quota system, initially implemented to give fisherman the incentive to fish responsibly, has resulted in nearly every pound of halibut caught now having a lease fee attached to it. These fees hurt everyone -- commercial fishermen have a difficult time competing with the Alaskan fishery and the impacts on the recreational fishing industry is obvious.

The issue of halibut allocation is complex. We must ensure that our West coast fishery remains viable and is working in the best interest of all Canadians. The interests of the commercial and recreational sectors must both be taken into account and a workable solution must be found through consultation and discussion.

There is a solution that respects all interests and ensures a robust fishery for generations. This is a public resource that belongs to all Canadians.

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Duncans answer is lame.. He has had the chance to work with Shea.. He would not write a letter or address the issue UNTIL this election came about. Now he is trying to cover his tracks and PRETEND he will do something.
He has had his chance to try and fix it. He has been an MP and a minister of the current government for the last several years.
I think Ronna Rae gets it..and my vote! (She is most likely to unseat duncan too!)

Duncan said: "We can work together, as BC sectors, and provide a BC solution to the Fisheries Minister rather than receive a made in Ottawa political decision."

who the crap wrote that line of BS? a handler? It actually sounds like it was made in Ottawa.

Nice post - looks to me like the Liberal and NDP candidates get it. I would be highly suspect with anything Shea will bring to the table - after all the only thing she gets is commercial fishing. There is no recreational sport fishery where she calls her home port.

IN typical political fashion they all skirt the issues to some degree, some more than others. At least the NDP has been consistently stronger sympathetically to the actual issues at hand.

Back