North Island MP John Duncan suppports fish farms

Islandgirl

From Alex Morton

"This has been sent to all federal candidates that have public emails.

April 20, 2011
VoteSalmon.ca

Dear Candidates:

Further to my letter of April 5, thank you! Fifty-three of you have now answered my questions: would you protect wild salmon by removing salmon farms from BC waters and protect aquaculture jobs by supporting a land based industry? John Duncan (Conservative) is the only candidate to support open-net salmon farms remaining in BC waters (All Candidates meeting, Port McNeill). While the NDP, Liberals and Greens support moving the industry onto land to make more permanent jobs in a sustainable industry. The Conservatives are unable to say they support wild salmon. They are telling me they want to wait for the results of the Cohen Inquiry. However, Randy Kamp and Ed Fast who I have met with, will not commit to implementing Justice Cohen’s recomendations.

This is a concern, because the Coastal Resource Interests Study, Salmon Aquaculture Review, Special Legislative Committee, Pacific Salmon Forum and Auditor General report are all expensive government processes that recommended changes to the industry to protect wild salmon that were never acted on.

Further to the BC Salmon Farmers letter sent to you on April 8; here are some findings by the Cohen Inquiry.

March 17, under oath Dr. Laura Richards (DFO, Director General of Science) indicated DFO research suggests the majority of Fraser sockeye are being weakened and killed by a retro virus. The Minister of Fisheries (Gail Shea, MP, PEI) was briefed that a virus is one of the top three suspect causes of the 2009 sockeye collapse, but she did not tell the public. Instead, DFO left the fishermen and First Nations to take the blame. We learned the DFO scientist who made this finding is not allowed to present at meetings not run by DFO and not allowed to speak to the media. She has also not been allowed to test farm salmon to find the source of the virus killing sockeye and Strait of Geogia Coho and Chinook.

“Epidemic of a novel, cancer-causing viral disease may be associated with wild salmon declines in BC” Report is at Cohen Commission March 17 exhibit 613G

On April 5, we learned that senior DFO officials met with the salmon farming industry to discuss a “crisis,” the BC public rejects the salmon farming industry.

“Due to the scope of the public confidence crisis in the Pacific Region, however, it is recognized that regional Communications and Aquaculture Management staff will need to continue to manage the file…key to the strategic approach to addressing confidence issues will be targeting information for the general public….” Cohen Commission April 6 exhibit 611

Does it seem right to you that at a time when DFO is closing its community offices, cutting funding to wild salmon habitat protection work and research that money is being spent to change our minds about salmon farms? When DFO speaks about salmon farms how do we know if they are trying to sell us on the industry or telling us the facts?

I will continue traveling through southern British Columbia to your campaign offices to find out: will you protect wild salmon by removing salmon farms from BC waters, will you protect salmon farm jobs by supporting a land-based upgrade to the industry and are you certain the Norwegian companies have not imported foreign viruses? As a result of my work so far I would like to add one question: Who actually supports the ocean salmon farms that are using the BC seafloor as a dumpsite?

On May 1, we will be walking into Victoria because BC voters need to know which federal candidates have the backbone to stand up and protect wild salmon. This is your chance to let them know that you stand for wild salmon. Let your supports know they can join us and fly the flag for wild salmon. For more information Salmonaresacred.org

Thank you and I look forward to meeting you and/or hearing from you. You can respond to this email.

Alexandra Morton

VoteSalmon.ca"

I'm not on the island but make sure all of you who support wild salmon in BC make your voices heard come election day. We can sit around all day and debate issues related to fish farms but the fact of the matter is they do not benefit wild salmon at the best and are extremely destructive at the worst. We need to elect people who are committed to long-term sustainability of our coast, province and country... not the same short-sighted politicians who are in bed with big business.

I have never been a political person, until this election .While I do support some of the Conservative policies, I am voting NDP this time. I will not vote for those that are in the pocket of the Norwegian fish farmers and halibut quota holders. While having a back benchers as my MP may not seem the best thing to do-- at least I know that Ronna-Rae Leonard will stand up for what is right and take my opinions into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been a political person, until this election .While I do support some of the Conservative policies, I am voting NDP this time. I will not vote for those that are in the pocket of the Norwegian fish farmers and halibut quota holders. While having a back benchers as my MP may not seem the best thing to do-- at least I know that Ronna-Rae Leonard will stand up for what is right and take my opinions into account.

Super and that is what is required to stop a member who does not listen to his constituents.

Good post I-girl! Beat me to it.

Agreed, I can't and won't give my vote - my endorsement - to the Conservatives regardless of the implications on other matters.

For me it's simple: if I give Harper my vote I'm accepting that the net-pen salmon-farming business will be a permanent fixture on our coast; that wild Pacific salmon are expendable; that the recreational fishery is unimportant in the big picture.

Not so! And it's too bad the Conservatives just don't get it.

Now... if I can just figure out who to vote for?

Back