Favorite mooching/downrigger rod for salmon?

I hear talk of Hardy 10-10's and Longstone reels on here. What value would you guys put on a Hardy 10-10 and Longstone reel in very good condition?

At least 500 bucks. Depending on the rod. Second hand Longstones are either good, fair or toast. A hardy rod is hard to price.;) eman

After using my Fetha Styx 1065's for a while now I find they are great rods but beware when yanking them
out of the scottie rocket launchers the butt box tends to pop off and go in the drink.
had 3 do this now, company has been great about providing replacements each time, usually meeting me in person.
now I have dremmeled the inside of the buttbox up some to give the epoxy a better gripping point
shouldnt happen again.
10'6"shimano techniums, never had an issue

Last edited by a moderator:
my favorite two downrigger rod for salmon

Shimano Technium

Older Daiwa Samurai has no issues. I bought it from someone. He said that he had usually this Rod for 25 years or more.

I had Rapala Rod for 15 years without any issues but someone stolen it :(

I have 2 9' uglystick lites and I like them, pretty economical and I've got a 10'6" amundson moocher that we picked up new at one of the chandler fish hatchery sales, but I like the 9 footers for landing fish by myself.

I'm using 10.5 gloomis gl2 rods that I've been very happy with. Decent power and nice action. I'm running th older scotty riggers and the boom mounted rod holders. One thing I do is wrap the rod butts in the clear hockey sock tape. I've found its saving the corks and the rod doesn't bind on the holder. Gene

I bought a Fetha-Styx from their booth at the sportsmen's show.
They took me to another booth to do the transaction.
Broke before I got it down in the downrigger the first time.

Took it to the company that processed the transaction, they told me they don't want to deal with it, I should deal directly with Fetha Styx.
Took it to a 2nd dealer listed on the Fetha-styx site. They told me they don't want to deal with Fetha Styx, I should deal directly with Fetha Styx.

The attitude of both retailers made me feel like they had an issue with Fetha Styx warranty/repair.

I took the broken section into Fetha-styx. Turns out they are about 10 minutes from a place I go on business about once a month. So I took it directly to their office.
The person working there told me that they wished I'd called/shipped it instead of delivering it, and wasn't very friendly about it. Strange.

They told me they couldn't repair/replace the tip unless I brought in the Butt. Not that they wouldn't, but that they couldn't because there was no way to know if the new piece would fit the butt. That seems odd to me as it was a production rod, not custom, and I've bought other brand rods in the past (and still have them) where the two sections are seemingly interchangeable with the same sections of identical rods. But so be it. I left the front portion with them and asked them to call me with the costs. I had no problem simply buying a new piece. Never received a call. I now own 1/2 a Fetha Styx Canadian Moocher Rod. Never been used. Probably never will be. Don't see putting any further time into trying to deal with this company.

I bought a Fetha-Styx from their booth at the sportsmen's show.
They took me to another booth to do the transaction.
Broke before I got it down in the downrigger the first time.

Took it to the company that processed the transaction, they told me they don't want to deal with it, I should deal directly with Fetha Styx.
Took it to a 2nd dealer listed on the Fetha-styx site. They told me they don't want to deal with Fetha Styx, I should deal directly with Fetha Styx.

The attitude of both retailers made me feel like they had an issue with Fetha Styx warranty/repair.

I took the broken section into Fetha-styx. Turns out they are about 10 minutes from a place I go on business about once a month. So I took it directly to their office.
The person working there told me that they wished I'd called/shipped it instead of delivering it, and wasn't very friendly about it. Strange.

They told me they couldn't repair/replace the tip unless I brought in the Butt. Not that they wouldn't, but that they couldn't because there was no way to know if the new piece would fit the butt. That seems odd to me as it was a production rod, not custom, and I've bought other brand rods in the past (and still have them) where the two sections are seemingly interchangeable with the same sections of identical rods. But so be it. I left the front portion with them and asked them to call me with the costs. I had no problem simply buying a new piece. Never received a call. I now own 1/2 a Fetha Styx Canadian Moocher Rod. Never been used. Probably never will be. Don't see putting any further time into trying to deal with this company.

Wow!! What terrible chain of events. I almost bought some this spring, sure glad i didn't now. Think i'll stick with dealing with Derby, RVP and the boys at PNT. At least they stand behind their products

I have a technium and while I am happy with the action etc etc-not happy with the eyes-had two rings break off-not tips-so not easy to fix-probably just get another rod-I was surprised because I have never had this happen on any other rod where there was no mishap to cause it. Rod is 2 years old so I have no bills etc. Just a comment on them.

If you want the BEST mooching rod out there for rigger fishing get a sage 3106, nothing else compares I have fished them all. Plus sage has a great warrenty.

Ya a few too many dollars for me.., hope this trophy titan 9' 4 power does ok, it wasnt cheap at $200 bucks on sale from $279, kinda seems light but should be good for fishing solo, hope it doesn't snap from me reefin it out the rod holder..

Kinda funny cause i have alway run shimano's tdr's but i was a little iffy putting a 600 dollar reel on a 35 dollar rod, HC was out of techniuims to day or i might have went that way. Any rod will break if you mistreat it enough, this rod is garanteed but not if the tip breaks off is what i was told.:)

I fish a Sage 3106 in one rigger and a $ 65.00 Shimano Convergence in the other (10'6") .

I would miss either one equally if it broke or suffered a boating mis-hap. Lots to be said for sticking with fiberglass for DR applications. Those high-end Sage's really shine in mooching applications (and river fishing)

Oh sh$t, i just bought a titan..is it a lemon?, if so i still have reciept and will go trade it for the fetha stix of the same price?

Love to know what the problem is....I have many of the 4110 Titans in heavy use and yet to experience a problem.

Sage Babcocks in the 3106 are $600. 2 for 1 on the Titans vs. Sage and the action is exactly the same and many lodges are using the 4110's with but few issues other than idiocy.

Used to have many Sage 3106's and can't say they are bulletproof either and I've had them blow up as well. I recall clearly being without a Couple of Sages for weeks while Sage warranty finally sent me the new piece.

Back