Favorite mooching/downrigger rod for salmon?

tidal shot

Crew Member
Want to know what guys are running for rods, and how they perform for the price of them?
Looking to upgrade another rod to a 10'6" but on the fence of what to try.

I have looked at them all and my conclusion is that if you want to spend a few bucks 160-$200, I narrowed it down to 2.

1) Shimano Technium 12-25lb version. Loads of backbone and virtually indestructible. ( a little bit too stiff for my liking.)

2) Fetha Styx Down Rigger rod...Has a Carbon fibre bottom handle that will not wear out going in and ouf the the down rigger and has more feel than the technium when it comes to playing the fish. I have 3 of these and love them. They are hard to find, harbour chandler in nanaimo has them and maybe one other place in the lower mainland. http://www.fethastyx.com/shop/Chrome/Downrigger

lots of threads on this if you search.....

my 2 cents,
1. under $200 Shimano Technium
2. $200-$300 Titan Trophy, G-Loomis
3. Money no object, Sage Custom

I am rather rough on my fishing rods and have learned the hard way to avoid the graphite rods. Bang the tip against the gunnel and next time it goes into the downrigger (well maybe not the next time--but soon), snap. I now use cheap fibreglass rods, for downrigging. I use 9ft Diawa wilderness, and have had no problems with them. If I know that I won't be using a flasher then I will use better rods, but for all practical purposes IMO you do not need an expensive rod when playing a salmon when using a flasher. Of course if I win the lottery my opinion may differ, but right now I have better uses for my money.

I like 9 footers........Shimano TDR......the reel seats/ferrules are pretty much the same on Shimanos and other rods...they all seem to use the grooved plastic/malleable metal rig.

The cheapo Daiwa mooching rod sucks......

Shimano TDR model number is:- TDR 90MH2B

Shimano Technium 10'6 Medium is my favorite for sure.
Daiwa Coastal 10'6 Medium is very nice for a rod that is less than $100

I used to use a 9' Trophy and Shimano TDR 9', which is probably easier when fishing solo, but I hardly ever do, and the feel of the 10'6 is so much better.

Has anyone tried the fenwick elite tech mooching rod yet just got one for my birthday paired with a mr3

Fetha stix,, priced right. 10'6" nice grip and the butts dont get chewed up. Best bang for the buck.. I got six of em now:)

I got a couple 1065 fetha styx as well,
I really like them
I also like my shimanos I fish all 4 side by side
Both have Great warranty

Richmake 880 F all glass rod ........... 35 + years and hundreds and hundreds of fish later good luck finding one though ........

HT

Has anyone tried the fenwick elite tech mooching rod yet just got one for my birthday paired with a mr3

The problem with this rod is that the reel holder tightens up from the bottom. You can't put them in upright rocketlaunchers to run anywhere or after a while the reel comes off the rod.

The problem with this rod is that the reel holder tightens up from the bottom. You can't put them in upright rocketlaunchers to run anywhere or after a while the reel comes off the rod.

My new set ups are Titan Trophy XL 10'6 Power 3 Single actions with Abel Mooching reels, they are nice platforms and so far are working out great..

Shimano Technium 10'6" medium my favorite, only problem is cork on the butt getting roughed up, solved it by putting on a rubber grip off a broken pike. GJ

The original Fenwick 1264 all fiberglass 10'6" mooching rod. I have yet to find a rod that compares. If you can find a blank they are well worth the money.Hey haven't been made in a while. My second pick would be the Hardy 1010.

The original Fenwick 1264 all fiberglass 10'6" mooching rod. I have yet to find a rod that compares. If you can find a blank they are well worth the money.Hey haven't been made in a while. My second pick would be the Hardy 1010.

Agreed, the old Fenwick blanks I have are the old Fenglass
Mine are 1262 so lighter power than the 1264 but I only use them when not trolling with a flasher.
When I use a flasher I step up to my Fethastix or lammi 1265s.

My 1010s I dont use much anymore but still a fine rod, just like the fenglass more for how I use them.

Cant beat the old glass blanks for mooching IMO

Back