Sage CP3113-3–Downrigger Rod?

Sharphooks

Currently using a Sage 3106 that’s gotten pretty beat up... I was thinking of getting another similar rod just to have as back-up

So I found a CP113-3 (green) for sale… can anybody comment on how that rod would perform as a downrigger rod? I’m thinking “CP” = center pin ?

Also, can a CP rod be flipped upside down and used as a bait caster for river fishing without worrying about compromising the graphite?

Thanks!

I’ve never been a fan of the arc on that blank. Mine had a flat spot in the ferrule area under load

I don’t know how you like your trolling rods set up but my CP Sage rod has quite a short butt section after the reel. It may not be ideal for your preferred setup.

I have 2 of those built for exactly what you want to do with it. I personally like the 3113mb but they don't have the power of the 3106. My buddy from WA state calls them the "SNOOPY POLES" because they bend right to the cork on the hook set. I don't recall a flat spot at the ferrule Aces but I will check on that tomorrow. They are lots of fun to play big fish on. Definitely a special purpose type of rod, I don't know if it replaces the 3106..... as for running it upside down, yes you can do that. I had a 2106 that started life as a pin then went to a baitcaster then back to a pin. No performance difference.

I’ve run the 3113 mb for years (extended butt for rigger/mooching). Personally my favorite rod. Run it with a 3106 that I love as well. Use it winter fishing deep with flashers, handled a couple large Hali up north no issue. Just as noted above - it’s a bit of a noodle so treat it accordingly. Don’t rip it recklessly off riggers etc and it does great. Super fun playing fish on

I have 2 of those built for exactly what you want to do with it. I personally like the 3113mb but they don't have the power of the 3106. My buddy from WA state calls them the "SNOOPY POLES" because they bend right to the cork on the hook set. I don't recall a flat spot at the ferrule Aces but I will check on that tomorrow. They are lots of fun to play big fish on. Definitely a special purpose type of rod, I don't know if it replaces the 3106..... as for running it upside down, yes you can do that. I had a 2106 that started life as a pin then went to a baitcaster then back to a pin. No performance difference.
I definitely prefer the 3106

Good information … I found both a 3106 and that CP113-3 (green) ….for some reason I thought the 113-3 would be a stiffer action rod…. based on the responses sounds like maybe I should stick with the 3106 which is tried and true

Last edited:
I have fished with the Sage 4110 for a number of years and for me it's the ultimate downrigger rod. It has plenty of backbone for a good hook set and battling large Chinook. My Sage 3106lb and 3113lb are reserved for Steelhead float fishing.

I had a 3106lb without a trigger reel seat made for bait caster, but sold it as It was too weak on 12lb steelhead, even in low water. The trigger reel seat is much preferred.
I asked the tackle shop that made it if it was possible to use it as a CP rod, and was told the guides for CP stand farther off the blank. Must be a new trend as it didn't seem that way years ago.

I had a 3106lb without a trigger reel seat made for bait caster, but sold it as It was too weak on 12lb steelhead, even in low water. The trigger reel seat is much preferred.
I asked the tackle shop that made it if it was possible to use it as a CP rod, and was told the guides for CP stand farther off the blank. Must be a new trend as it didn't seem that way years ago.
Interesting that you say the Sage 3106lb was too weak for a 12lb Steelhead. I have caught a ton of big fish on mine including at least 3 Steelhead in the 20lb range. I actually got my PB doe Steelhead last spring thar was estimated in the 19lb range.

The 3106 is a great rod and it would be a challenge breaking one on a fish if the ferrules are seated properly and it there’s no high sticking going on but I remember thinking after a few larger chinook when first using mine that it’s not the best tool for C&R….
I have a Sage 8’6” rod I keep in the boat that gets them to the boat in short order and
I’m guessing it’s the same out on a river…. Lots of fun with the 3106 but there are other rods out there that would be more appropriate for a quick and clean C&R fishery …a 12 foot Loomis GL3 comes to mind

I learned the hard way that besides the extra 9 inches the 3113m and 3106 are completely different (not all bad) rods. I have a CT2106, CT3106, SA3106, SA4110, and the aforementioned GSH3113m. They are all excellent rods and they can all handle bigger fish both on the salt and in the river. Just forces you to handle the fight differently depending what you're fishing. If I had to choose 1 all rounder it would be the 3106. Wish I found the below information before so I didn't have to buy every single one. I found this below online (from Brian Babcock) too late as there is tonnes of debate and chit chat on colours and models. In hindsight I would have passed on the GSH3113m and the SA4110 (the 3106 has plenty of backbone for tyees)

Can I say this any clearer - THE NEW GREEN BLANKS ARE NOT A HIGHER MODULUS GRAPHITE!! They are identical to the most recent brown blanks in everything except colour and logo. Trust me. It was my baby. Here's how a few cross-over:

Brown GSH3113M = Green CP3113M = Green CT3113M
Brown GSH4110 = Green CT4110 = Blue SA4110
Brown GSH2106 = Green CT2106
Brown GSH3106L = Green CP3106L
Brown Glll 290 = Green CT290F ***Note this is Glll material both brown and green***

So any of the brown "GSH" models used Gl graphite and they now come out as green (or blue for the SA's) with the CT, CP, or SA designation followed by the model number. Any of the brown Glll models (286,290,296,386,390,396) used Glll (higher modulus) graphite and they now come out as green CT(model number)(letter F).

Where someone answering the phones at Sage may be mistaken is assuming that we went to all Glll with the colour change. We did not! Any of the "new" green blanks that don't have the letter "F" attached are still using Gl graphite. To further emphasize this point, I am currently waiting for Sage to run a large order of Gear blanks and it is being delayed because Sage doesn't have enough Gl in stock. These are the only rods they use that graphite on.

I really can't say any more on this. I'm sure there will be some that refuse to believe what I'm saying even though I was Sage's Product Manager for Gear when all this occurred. It's obviously a conspiracy on my part to fool everyone into thinking that Sage is still using the same technology as they did 20 years ago! Would that make any sense???

Brian Babcock

Attachments

• Sage Gear Rod Blank codes.pdf
    225.2 KB · Views: 21
I’ve run the 3113 mb for years (extended butt for rigger/mooching). Personally my favorite rod. Run it with a 3106 that I love as well. Use it winter fishing deep with flashers, handled a couple large Hali up north no issue. Just as noted above - it’s a bit of a noodle so treat it accordingly. Don’t rip it recklessly off riggers etc and it does great. Super fun playing fish on
I have that exact same rod and I love it, only used it a few times as I usually had rookies on board or was guiding so it stayed home most of the time, I love that rod but may sell it as I'm just not fishing much these days.

Back