Favorite mooching/downrigger rod for salmon?

The original Fenwick 1264 all fiberglass 10'6" mooching rod. I have yet to find a rod that compares. If you can find a blank they are well worth the money.Hey haven't been made in a while. My second pick would be the Hardy 1010.

Northislander: I made 3 Fenwick 1264's many years ago and agree they were great rods. I unfortunately lost mine but do have a 1263 which is shortened by 4 inches (truck door), but it isn't quite the same.
I have several Fenwick HMX rods which I have had no problems with (10'6" and 11') and find good for the value (~$100- $130 on sale). Last year I got a Trophy Titan 11' Power 4 rod which has been very good matched with a new blue Trophy reel.

...Rob

We run 10'6" Techniums and love them. Flexible enough to have fun as well as absorbing quick direction changes of fish (we run braid), yet stiff enough to help direct decent sized fish into the net.
3 weeks ago we were at PNT and the boy spotted a bin of 10'6" ugly red rods. Turns out they are discards from QCL, and PNT is taking offers on them. We got a pair super cheap, added tip eyes, added 3/4" of butt knob (used cut down mountain bike grips), and ran them last week. This was all just for grins, the rods were cheap. Wouldn't you know it, the rods closely mimic the feel of the $180 Techniums!!!
At home again, we firmly mounted a Technium beside a QCL rod and added the same weight to each rod's tip. The bend up the rod and deflection at the tip is almost identical.
So, if you want a nice feeling 10'6" mooching rod for cheap, go see PNT!

Looks line I'm buying another technium by the looks of it, can get them here in Alberta for $150.00 plus I get another 10% off with my wholesale sports wild card. Used mine for the first time this last trip and really enjoyed it, never had a long rod like that before, came in really handy with the 8ft leaders we were using behind the flasher.

Old school Hardy TenTen or Fenwick 1264 here... Used to love a TenTen for guiding, as even a hamfisted, all knuckles guest wouldn't break off a fish with the TenTen, which would double over on the cork! 1264 has lots more power, probably better for a skilled angler. I still have a TenTen of my own, so have no idea how much better the new stuff is...

I have a couple if 1262 also and have been using them for steelheading. Only this year did I throw on a longstone reel and use one out at Bamfield. Caught a 20ish lb spring on it with no flasher and what a scrap. Will be switching to the 1262 for when there is less chance of bigger springs. I managed to find an original Fenglass 1264 still in the wrap and will be getting it custom built this winter. Matched up with a MR3 I personally don't think there is a better combo.
Agreed, the old Fenwick blanks I have are the old Fenglass
Mine are 1262 so lighter power than the 1264 but I only use them when not trolling with a flasher.
When I use a flasher I step up to my Fethastix or lammi 1265s.

My 1010s I dont use much anymore but still a fine rod, just like the fenglass more for how I use them.

Cant beat the old glass blanks for mooching IMO

Attachments

• 20130726_163504_resized.jpg
    20130726_163504_resized.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 768
I have a custom built Fenwick 1264 built 20 or so years ago by Wayne from the old Bucks Bait and Tackle on Stewart Ave in Nanaimo. Excellent build excellent blank. Paired with a Hardy Longstone. My favourite rod.

I'm looking at a Shimano convergence 10' 6'', what action would you suggest getting for downriggers? Slow, medium or fast?

Richmake 880 F all glass rod ........... 35 + years and hundreds and hundreds of fish later good luck finding one though ........
HT

Hey High Tide; me too! When my old aunt (a fishing fanatic) passed away she left me some $$ and I purchased a custom made Sage steelhead rod so I retired my old Richmake. What a tough old rod; I'd hate to tell you how many steelies it put on the beach and how badly it was treated bushwacking along the river banks and wacking branches. When I started fishing from a boat I dragged it out of retirement for a downrigger rod...I love it! I believe the old Richmakes were built on a blonde Fenwick blank. Steadmans used to sell them in Nanaimo many years ago.

I believe Richmakes in the day were lamiglas...still have my dads original steelhead rod.. :)

IMHO you can't beat the Shimano Techniums, light, incredibily strong, durable, beautiful action, lifetime warranty, best rod for a reasonable price.

Would you go 15-25 lbs or 10 - 20? I'll be fishing vancouver and southern gulf island areas...

I'm looking to just get one for now, this fishing **** is expensive!

I've landed heavy springs while jigging with 10-20 lbs rods before, will they stand up to the drag of the flasher with a 20lbs+ fish on?

Blew up yet another Fenwick HMX three weeks ago so was out searching something different to give a try without spending the big dollar. Happened to be at Can Tire and came across the Rapala 10'6 Classic Mooching and was pleasantly surprised with the price $90 and the rod, reel seat, cork and butt appeared outstanding! This is a great looking rod. Landed a nice 22lb spring at Constance this pass weekend on it and it performed beautifully. Not sure if anyone else has given one a try? I guess we'll see how it holds up. Not keen on the NC reels by Rapala but this rod so far is sweet.

i am with Seafever on this one, shimano tdr 9 foot, medium action it is strong enough to land any spring i have ever caught and for around 40$ you cant go wrong, also when fishing alone it is much easier to net fish on a shorter rod. next year i might look at a technium or convergence 10 foot mooching rod.

I concur with the Richmake's were Lamiglass blanks Derby. I still have a few kicking about, great rods.;) eman

Back