Favorite Big Spoon Patterns

Slabby20

What would be your recommendation for the best two or three 6" spoons and color patterns for offshore of Barkley Sound?

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

I'd say my top three are the 6" Coyote green/silver, 6" Coyote Cop Car, and the 6" Tomic 602. Then again I don't have a lot of big spoon colors but I'm looking to add some more. With as many Coho and Pinks that are out there I plan on going big to try and target the springs. I have lots of 6" & 7" plugs but not many bigger spoons.

Yeah I am with poppa-swiss. Wonder water melon it is a killer. Springs were crushing them last year(teeth marks all over them) . Hoping for the same next week when up at Nootka.
Also blue and silver coyote, another proven winner.
tight lines to all.

The Three Amigos

Had reasonably good success with the Tomic 5" Watermelon up at Nootka in July. Not the be all/end all but well worth giving it some water time!

Where do you pick up your spoon brite? Looking for a good product to clean my spoons...I'm not disciplined enough to clean them after each trip.

Searun

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

What would be your recommendation for the best two or three 6" spoons and color patterns for offshore of Barkley Sound?

Buy this 6" Coyote (or the #8 Blue Stripe Wonder):

spoon_1.jpg

and then buy a black and a yellow fine point permanent Sharpie, and turn the spoon into this:

spoon_1_mod.jpg

Walla - a pilchard. Drop either into the water anywhere offshore right now, and HANG ON! :D

Your Welcome [^]
Nog

Nog,

Have you tried your customization with the green version of that Coyote and if you have, how does it perform?

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Have you tried your customization with the green version of that Coyote and if you have, how does it perform?

Pilchards are blue backed, which is why that one I posted works. The green one (without mods) works better when they are herring.

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Nog.
That explains why the green one has been deadly around here this year.
GLG

With the amount of pilchards around now I would drag big plugs over spoons right now.I've never seen plugs work as well as this year!.Anything with a scale back.

Plugs have indeed been going off pretty good. That said, I believe those huge Wonder spoons are producing faster. Had just over 75 fish smoke them on one charter two days ago. Dunno if the plugs could have matched that. Will know right shortly now though. I'm headed back with the Big Rig for the plug opening, so will get to conduct a real test.

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Have you and OSAMA been drinking and fishing together to get those kind of #'s? Noggin!:)

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Hey Iron, when you say big rig, do you mean Billy?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Pretty sure he means commercial vessel

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Hey guys-- just a reminder about crappy Coyote hooks. This is from Ralph Shaws column in todays Comox Valley "Record"

quote:We were quickly rewarded for following the bait when a nice hatchery-marked coho in the six- to seven-pound range took my Coyote Cop Car spoon 70 feet below the boat. A short time later Chuck caught a nice 15-pound chinook in deeper water on a green-glow Coyote spoon. The day was already a success and we had only started.

What followed were four broken hooks by chinooks from a faulty batch of hooks on 3-1/2 inch Coyote Cop Car spoons. Lesson learned: replace hooks on Coyote spoons with stronger hooks.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

At Bajo Reed did well with 5 1/2 and 6" Wonder Spoons half and half. (Brass/Chrome)

Back