Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

Sorry the URL I gave was missing the (s) to make anglers plural. Just to update the most recent count. Outfitters are now sold out and the 3 tickets that Chris had were sold to online sales before that option was shut down. The remaining tickets are at Wise Buys and they have 7 left as of this morning.
There are still a few sponsor tickets available and once the 7 remaining tickets are sold out the cost of each sponsor rod ticket will be $500.00 each. Off that $250.00 goes towards the prize pool and $250.00 will be directed towards the Sooke Chinook Revitalization Project.

4 tickets left at Wise Buys as of noon today

We are now sold out of regular tickets.

Thank you to everyone who purchased tickets and supported this event. Good luck everyone!

We did print a certain number of sponsor tickets and there are still a few of those left. Those are available with a $500 per rod contribution to the derby. If you want to participate in this years derby and also have first right to tickets for future events you can contact myself or Chris Bos. Our emails are sscl@shaw.ca and c.bos@shaw.ca

Just to ad further as next year our plan was and still is to increase regular tickets to 500 and then cap it there with no further increases, we will now start a wait list for those who missed tickets this year but want to buy into the 200 additional tickets available next year. We opted to take this derby up to the 500 mark in two baby steps to ensure we run this derby well instead of going big out of the gate and possibly being overwhelmed and running it poorly.
Next year with the increased tickets available the first place cash prize will also increase, likely to $20,000. Our goal is to have a total prize purse of $100,000 next year.
If you want on the wait list you should contact Chris Bos.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little off topic but do you guys have any idea on what the DFO is thinking for regulations when they adjust them on the 14th? Going to be that increased slot or is there the potential for us to keep at least 1 bigger fish? If its still a slot its going to be pretty crazy at Sheringham for the derby weekend.

No one really knows...Have to wait and see. Probably won't know until day before...Likely zone one and you can keep a wild fish around 20. But that was last year it could change..

Latest announcement states they will review the slot restrictions on June 16.
we may be able to keep one wild over, same as last year
or the slot may carry forward until they deem otherwise.

Last year I think the slot increased to 83cm or something until mid July. I guess we all need to run to sherringham and beyond...

I feel for the organizers here really hard to set up a fair derby when there are different rules throughout the fishable area. One idea might be just say derby follows area 19/20 slot regs. That makes it biggest hatch derby and allows everyone to fish where they want. With cash and high value prizes for the top salmon there is going to be a real draw to running west if big wilds can be entered. Even if top prize is split between wild and hatch i like my odds better at sherringham where i could catch either (or finish 2nd or 3rd) vs. fishing in the slot zone and only hoping for biggest hatch.

Oh well everyone's just got to make the best of it and lets hope for two calm deby days so we can run west without killing our backs.

There always has been a backup plan for zone 1. The $10,000.00 will be split into $5000 for the largest hatchery and $5,000 for the largest Chinook overall. That means you can fish anywhere in areas 19/20 and win $5,000. If the largest fish overall happens to be a hatchery it takes both for $10,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a decent solution but it ignores the great prizes for 2nd, 3rd etc...

Westward bound for this derby nothing we can do about it gotta play by the rules regardless if they make any sense. It will still be a good time just like I said I hope its calm because it's a long run from pedder and that's where we plan to stay. It's too bad because the biggest fish will probably be caught at church like it was last year only the pour sap weighing it in was honest about where he caught it and of course got rightfully DQ'd.

There is still hope for a re-evaluation before the derby. We have been told that DFO has decided to do another stock assessment by the 9th.

Looking forward to it. Going out with my 6 year old son who is super excited ( went to sviac last year)and I picked up everything for event...Not many kids there I am hoping some take there little ones. I am not going to serious on this one.... We probably would have been out anyway.

Hope someone got the islander....

We are likely going to have one more opportunity by way of a pub night this week for those who didn't make the Friday night meeting to get in on the Team Entry Jackpot and Accumulator Entry Jackpot. As of last night there is $4500 in the Team Jackpot and $1700 in the Accumulator. Watch the SVIAC website for details of the weeknight last chance to enter the winner take all jackpots.

There have been concerns brought forward about the implications if we are stuck in zone one and the possibility that some may try to enter large wild fish caught in the waters not open to retention. We will have measures in place with derby personnel recording and photographing all the boats that fish at Sheringham Point and further west to the boundary. We also ask that all participants observe the boats landing fish in the areas they are fishing. Any angler with a potential winning wild salmon (if zone 1) may be asked for his or her boat registration number and a description of their boat.

When the prize money gets big, the cheater's get creative.
You almost need marshal's on the water called to verify the fish on the spot.
It would be easy to retain a large wild fish at Muir creek and then run to Sheringham.
Best scenario , the reg's get changed and it won't be a problem.

Back