Extended Outboard Warranty?

I usually don’t with most things, but decided to on my verado. Trim pump blew 6mo after original warranty ran out, washed a pretty nasty bill so there is something to it.

Extended warranty is just an insurance policy. As with all insurance policies the insurance company always wins, as in whatever it costs you, probability is that you'll get less out of it than it cost you. Insurance should only be on the things you can't afford to self insure like your house, or $$M liability etc. Having said that, I did get talked into an extended warranty on my Mercs lol, but it will pay in resale if I sell my boat before the warranty expires I figure.

Well Extended warranty has bailed me out twice. Last summer a oil pump failure on my 115 Merc left me with a seized engine.
The warranty just had 10 days left on it before expiration date. Mercury was caught in the outboard shortage that hit all makes, but they found a new powerhead in the States and had it shipped to CV Marine in Courtenay. Only cost to me was for a new impeller as there was no point in not replacing it and the $50 deductible on the warranty. Am I a believer for extended warranties for big ticket items ?????? Damn Right !

Well Extended warranty has bailed me out twice. Last summer a oil pump failure on my 115 Merc left me with a seized engine.
The warranty just had 10 days left on it before expiration date. Mercury was caught in the outboard shortage that hit all makes, but they found a new powerhead in the States and had it shipped to CV Marine in Courtenay. Only cost to me was for a new impeller as there was no point in not replacing it and the $50 deductible on the warranty. Am I a believer for extended warranties for big ticket items ?????? Damn Right !

Was your motor a 2 stroke direct oil injection motor and the oil output which failed pumped 2 stroke oil and mixed with gas to be sprayed into combustion chamber? Or is there also an oil pump in the 4 stroke mercury?

What were the symtoms so I know if mine goes. My merc 115 is just about out of warranty.

Did alarm bell go off? Was it hard to start motor etc?
Myself and a buddy were fishing off the southern end of Hornby Island. ( 200ft contour) At noon we pulled into Tribune Bay to drop the hook and eat lunch. After lunch I started the engine normally and slowly idled out past the other anchored boats. When I throttled up all hell broke loose. The engine started shaking and was noisy as hell. I shut the engine down and restarted. Fine at idle speed but again started to try to shake itself apart when I gave it some gas. I phone CV Marine in Courtenay and all they could say is to don't run the engine up again until I took it into them. 4 1/2 hrs later the kicker got us back to Comox. Apparently there was enough oil getting through the engine to idle, but not enough to prevent the engine self destroying. I wasnt sure, but I thought I might have some time left on the warrantee , CV marine called Mercury in Wisconsin and verified that I did have have just a few days left ! Whew !

Thanks for the replies. Hard choice to make. Price of the extended warranty basically adds 10% to the price of the motor. That's a lot in my books. Of course it's not going to cover wearing parts like impellers etc. ~$7oo for that at todays rape prices. I also read in the fine print I have to prove maintenance. I sure as crap am not paying a dealer a ridiculous fee to do the basic stuff like change engine and gear oil, grease, plugs etc. Not sure how I "give proof" of doing that, except for keeping the receipts of purchase of 'approved' products.

Thanks for the replies. Hard choice to make. Price of the extended warranty basically adds 10% to the price of the motor. That's a lot in my books. Of course it's not going to cover wearing parts like impellers etc. ~$7oo for that at todays rape prices. I also read in the fine print I have to prove maintenance. I sure as crap am not paying a dealer a ridiculous fee to do the basic stuff like change engine and gear oil, grease, plugs etc. Not sure how I "give proof" of doing that, except for keeping the receipts of purchase of 'approved' products.
While the fine print says you have to proove maintenance was done, doesn't mean a dealer has to do it....I think that clause it there to ensure they don't replace a motor on an engine that wasn't running 3 year old oil etc...

I just had to deal with a warranty issue on my outboard. Dealers will always assume it's not a warranty item until they spend a few hrs finding root cause of issue...if root cause was a warranty item then you don't pay...but if it's an intermittent issue that didn't replicate when it was at the dealer, you are left with a bill you have to pay.

Debating whether or not to spend the bucks on my outboards extended warranty offer. Obviously if there is a major failure it would be worth it, but on the other hand Mercury is probably in this for a profit. Motor still has a year of mfg. warranty. $1100 for three additional years.
What is your feel for the local merc dealer? Will they do good work if needed? Will they support you with a possible warranty claim or give you guff and excuses? Despite what is written on the contract, a lot of this stuff comes down to the people involved.

Back