Extended Outboard Warranty?

eroyd

Debating whether or not to spend the bucks on my outboards extended warranty offer. Obviously if there is a major failure it would be worth it, but on the other hand Mercury is probably in this for a profit. Motor still has a year of mfg. warranty. $1100 for three additional years.

I’ve always felt that it’s decent value. How much is a major repair in year 4 or 5 going to cost? Probably more than $1100, in these inflationary times

Debating whether or not to spend the bucks on my outboards extended warranty offer. Obviously if there is a major failure it would be worth it, but on the other hand Mercury is probably in this for a profit. Motor still has a year of mfg. warranty. $1100 for three additional years.
It’s worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

I personally have never believed in any extended warranty on anything I have bought in the last 40 years, whether it’s a vehicle, outboard, TV etc. Yes you are rolling the dice but I have probably saved over $20,000 over those years and still have not had any major failures in anything, touch wood. I also never buy the first generation of any new product, I always wait a few years until they work the bugs out before buying.

I personally have never believed in any extended warranty on anything I have bought in the last 40 years, whether it’s a vehicle, outboard, TV etc. Yes you are rolling the dice but I have probably saved over $20,000 over those years and still have not had any major failures in anything, touch wood. I also never buy the first generation of any new product, I always wait a few years until they work the bugs out before buying.
Warranties are only good until something breaks then they are void. This has been my experience over the last 40 years of ownerships.

When I bought my new boat and riggings 2 years ago they tried to sell me on the extended warranty, I told them if Mercury can’t build an engine that last longer than 3 years then take it off right now and I’ll put something else on it. That was the end of that conversation. You look after your equipment theres a 99% chance it will look after you. There is always the chance of a lemon but any standard warranty lasts plenty long enough to detect that. After that it’s pretty much maintenance and the way it’s ran.

Last edited:
If you're a handy guy with good mechanical skills, tools and time to do the repairs yourself, then it may not be worth it. But if you depend on the dealership/professionals for repairs, then $1,100 is a drop in the bucket. Who knows what the major engine parts going to cost in 4-5 years from now, let alone the labor...

Do it. $1100 is cheap and not much work can be done for that. I tried to extend the warranty on my 2019 Yamaha F250 in June. Sherwood quoted me almost $3 K for I think it was 3 years. When I bought the motor new i said I'll wait and buy it later. It almost tripled in cost over those 3 years. Don't think about it, do it.

i did it on my merc, didnt do it on my yammy. never used it on the merc so it was a waste. but it was my first engine so i didnt know better.
havent regretted not taking it on the yammy. merc, maybe. realistically if you treat the engine well there is not much point in taking it. the parts in modern engines are pretty reliable so the chances of actually using it are pretty low. and if you do have an accident the repairs arent going to be covered under warranty anyway.

I'd do it. Its not just the motor itself that might make use of it, there is all the ancillary components that make up a modern outboard that can develop a problem.

I'm currently waiting on a new trim unit for a 2017 Verado. Apparently a relatively common issue speaking to the dealer and the fact that there are none available in North America at the moment. I wish the previous owner had purchased the extended warranty as it is $4,500 for just the part.

Well a few sensors or coils would eat up that 1100 in no time and mercs are quite often eating coils and failing, BUT and this is a huge BUT look at fine print is it a limited warranty or full warranty some things under the "limited" are not covered just make sure what your getting thats all.

Go to your online banking and set up a new account with an automatic transfer of X amount per month. Insure yourself - it piles up quickly. If you're disciplined and leave it alone, in three years you'll have enough to pay for repairs if needed and be on your way to a repower in 10. We do something similar for dental and extended health.
Insurance companies love extended warranty sales.
Maintenance matters in this scenario.

Go to your online banking and set up a new account with an automatic transfer of X amount per month. Insure yourself - it piles up quickly. If you're disciplined and leave it alone, in three years you'll have enough to pay for repairs if needed and be on your way to a repower in 10. We do something similar for dental and extended health.
Insurance companies love extended warranty sales.
Maintenance matters in this scenario.
I agree as does about 99.9% of all money managers.

Depends on the installation too. Builder did terrible rigging on my 19 and so wires chafed through from fuel line hose clamps 18in from the engine. Also he installed a terrible vent design so saltwater was going into the engine and killed some injectors. All that was covered by Merc warranty / service plan.

Also make sure you find a good shop to do warranty work. When I had a Merc steering failure on another motor that should have been covered the shop in Langford wouldn't cover it allegedly because Factory Rep said warranty on the steering was expired when it wasn't expired. They did a terrible job and ended up breaking the steering after they charged me to fix it. Too bad I paid before I noticed they had broken the steering. Bailed on them and took the boat to Vector in Sidney Vector bypassed the factory rep and contacted Merc directly. Of course the steering was still covered so it finally got fixed under warranty.

If you use the motor a lot and I'm guessing you do, the extended service plan is probably worth it if you can get it to a good shop.

Well a few sensors or coils would eat up that 1100 in no time and mercs are quite often eating coils and failing, BUT and this is a huge BUT look at fine print is it a limited warranty or full warranty some things under the "limited" are not covered just make sure what your getting thats all.
Well my 2016 Mercs have never had anything but maintenance with almost 2000 hours so not sure what you’re referring to

Well my 2016 Mercs have never had anything but maintenance with almost 2000 hours so not sure what you’re referring to
talking about the verados guy at dock at pedder has spares on his boat at all times as they are constantly failing

Warranties are all good until it takes them 6 weeks to get the part and you could buy it online and get it in a few days

Back