Espar heaters

fishin solo

Crew Member
hey guys wondering if anybody has one and how they like it. They seem to be a lot cheaper then the wallas so looking for pros and cons. I thought about putting in a Dickinson but really like how compact and out of the way the forced air heaters are.

Cheers Chuck

hey guys wondering if anybody has one and how they like it. They seem to be a lot cheaper then the wallas so looking for pros and cons. I thought about putting in a Dickinson but really like how compact and out of the way the forced air heaters are.

Cheers Chuck
I've got an Espar Chuck. Diesel tank is small and is installed under sink with filler cap on outside side rail, heater is up under helm with heat tubes installed up front in pilot house. Control is a small on/off switch with temp dial..gas venting is plumbed to starboard side of boat next to where bilge pumps out is. All very neat and tidy. Doesn't take up too much room. I'm not a fan of diesel fumes at all so I don't use mine unless it's really, really cold out when fishing cause even though the venting goes out the side of the boat, even with a bit of wind, or when you open a door or window for a second those fumes do come in and seem to just stay in the cabin for awhile. When leaving it on for awhile while fishing and going in and out the cabin to the fish deck those fumes can get to you pretty quick. But it is nice to have if fishing very cold temps. I have a Wallas diesel flat top two burner cook top that I love. Had a butane one before that I swapped out for the Wallas diesel.

I have my Espar D2 running right now. This is my 4th winter running it and it has run flawlessly. Single most important investment I made ... expanded the fishing season to year round. Frankly, there has never been a day that has been that has been cold or too wet and I don't need to dress like it is winter out. The little Espar sips diesel and does a great job of quickly drying out the cockpit and cabin ... I have a vent in both areas. In hindsight, I would have run a 3rd vent to the dash as a defroster / defogger. Other than that, all good.

I picked up my D2 today. Losing the bus heater so I ordered an Espar, and a 7 litre fuel tank from Planar. Once you have had a heat source it tough to go without. The one thing that is puzzling is the through hull didn't come with gaskets?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 62
I picked up my D2 today. Losing the bus heater so I ordered an Espar, and a 7 litre fuel tank from Planar. Once you have had a heat source it tough to go without. The one thing that is puzzling is the through hull didn't come with gaskets?
where did you get it from ? price?

I installed an espar D2 on my boat about four years ago and the thing is great,no problems with it at all. produces nice dry heat and uses very little power so it is good for overnighting. I think i just used 5200 when mounting the exhaust through hull, i don't recall a gasket being involved. I have mine hooked up directly to my starboard fuel tank. I got mine from an E-bay vendor up in the valley somewhere as they seemed to have the best pricing.

I have used both diesel and kerosene.
I found the difference in heat generated was not noticeable.
Kerosene smell was definitely less offensive.

I've heard when installing, you want the heater above the fuel tank if you can. Is this true?

I've heard when installing, you want the heater above the fuel tank if you can. Is this true?

Yes you want any air bubbles to go up easily. If the tank is level or above you can get airlocked.

Yes you want any air bubbles to go up easily. If the tank is level or above you can get airlocked.
Ok great, thanks windsurfer

my espar is going on 32 years old and still throws the heat out. i have owned the boat for the last 10 years. the person I bought the boat from told me what he did. i just get it serviced every 3 or 4 years and pour a little conditioner in the tank every so often and run them at least 20 to 30 minutes every month if you don't use it regularly. I will replace it with another if it ever dies.

Ive run a d4 for 10 years and just had to replace the motor and that was pricey. The diesel exhaust is only an issue when starting and shutting down but when it is running it smells like jet exhaust so it is tolerable.

Make sure you get a digital thermostat controller so that you can read and clear your codes on your own.

Back