e-chip?

I have tried it and I found it to not make a differance compared to the same colour flasher with out the chip on the other side.I don't think it works but thats just my opinion.

I put in over 500 hundred hours last summer and found that the e-chip stuff didnt make a bit of difference. I thought that they would make a difference on those days when you knew the fish were there but were not biteing. Save your money and stick with bait.

I too tried them the flashers only and it seems they are heavier and it tangles the line for some reason I personally think they are and must spin a lot faster because i never have line tangles with the hot spots the good old PROVEN flasher and local too, always want to support our people and our city first!!!!!!

Hotspot,Rhys Davis products (Tom),and the bait company (Gary) these are the guys that are working very hard so we can enjoy our fishing

Good luck Wolf

I have the echip flasher, used it lots, never had a tangle. Did it make a difference? Doubt it. But I have caught fish on when nothing else has worked. You know the old saying. "Fish don't change, just fisherman and the lures."

Wolf, Could yo have used a lighter leader or leader with a bad swivel on the end of the flasher? This depending if you were using a spoon or bait, which both spin. I run all kinds of different flashers and use the E-chip flashers most and think they work. But who knows. You can run them side by side with anything and it might work. I have had several friends have better success rates for ocean kings with them. They ran them side by side with the same exact hootchy setup and it was the Echip every time. It could be anything from electrolosis from the downrigger cable or leader thickness to placement on the downrigger. Who knows. We can get the e-chips down here cheaper than anything else, so we run them.

Hello I use 30 lb main line and i use a sampo guick change swival on the main line and it tangled it, all of the guides tried them and we all found it did the same thing we were using the one with the little tabs on the back end of them a guest brought them up from the states I tried it about 5 times with the same result so maybe it was the tab who knows but i have about 5 of them left I may cut the tabs off with a zip wheel and see what that does!!!!

Wolf

I used them off and on all summer and never experienced a tangle, so it really seems weird that yours tangled everytime you used them.

Its like having a crank bait with a rattle in it, sure the same bait would catch fish without the rattle, but I think it can still help "call" fish.

Maybe its just clever marketing though.

I caught one spring that had had a battle at sea with a seal or something as one side of it's head was scarred up and it had no eye. Was on a e-chip hoochie. I think the e-chip made a difference in this case. Otherwise, it didn't make much difference.

e-chip in my opinion is a bust. they tangle they are heavy and they do not out produce other local made flashers.

WOLF ~~~~ There are two styles with and without the tabs ~~~ the tabs are supposed to be used at slow speed only to still get a kick out of the flasher so at normal to fast speed it would over rev = tangle city -- Have and used some but not sold on this latest money maker for some one !!!
I have just rebent some hotspots for years to do the same thing if needed

"FEEL THE THROB"

I forgot about the ones with the tabs or rudders. I have never run them and have heard if you are running multiple setups, they drift into your other gear while trolling and letting them out.

I know the older ones had the cheap swivels until recently. Now they come with the ball bearing swivel at both ends like the good commercial Hot Spots do. I have not had this problem and wonder if you had a bad batch or the rudder does something different.

I have a couple of ruddered ones but didn't want to try a new learning curve so I never took them out of the wrapper. I am pretty happy with them. Like I said they are a couple of bucks cheaper than all of the others.

Yes I bet you thats what it is the rudder or tab for us up here the hot spots are cheaper by far so ill stick to them, good thing i never paid for them LOL

Wolf

For me the jury is still out on the e-chip. I need more experience with it to tell if it really works. One thing to remember is that these things probably have a pretty limited range in the water. So do they draw fish in, or when they do catch fish it's because the fish are already there in the first place and maybe any flasher could do the job?[?]

I've had good success with the e-chip flashers. That's probably because I tend to fish with them more than anything else. Who knows if they actually work as advertised (the e-chip part). I will say I've had better success with the ones with the tab/fin on it. That may be because I don't troll real fast like some do and the tab/fin gives a better kick to the bait or hootchie at slow speeds. Luckily I've not had the line twist problem that some have described. I usually rig a Sampo snap swivel as well and mabe that helps. I think that like most fisherman, if we try something new and catch fish right away we are hooked and tend to use the new stuff a lot. If you don't catch anything the first time or two using it it goes on the scrap heap. Probably better in the long run just staying with what we know works.

Slabby

ya I think a lot of it comes down to having confidence in your gear and keeping under water for longer then you have it above water messing with it.

I've used them off and on for the last three years and here's what I have found.
Slow trolling only on the rudder style. Doesn't seem to make any matter on anything larger than 10 pound fish.
Was given just the e-chips and installed them on hootchies and bait, again didn't have any effect on larger fish.
Where they did work, is on Sockeye, in Alberni. Both on the hootchie, baitbuster lure and the flasher itself. Conservatively increased catch by 25%.
Springs and Chum, made little or no difference.
I think colour choice is more important.

I'm not sold on the e-chip myself. I've caught using the flashers, but the chip just rusted out and it caught the same amount of fish without it. But i've had one flasher identical without the e-chip loose all the reflective foil on one side and still fish great.

so after leaving this post I think I am more uncertain then ever if they make any difference. I am doubtful though

Back