Dungeness in Area 14

Baxter

Best place for Dungeness in area 14?? If you don’t mind sharing. :). Not new to fishing, but new to crabbing.

Also using roe for bait. Does roe typically produce?

Best place for Dungeness in area 14?? If you don’t mind sharing. :). Not new to fishing, but new to crabbing.

I haven’t tried in awhile, also I haven’t tried Roe I usually use chicken backs. Crabbing hasn’t been great off the spit for a few yrs now but feel free to try around there

For bait I've been using dogfish when I catch them, found it to produce nearly as good as chicken, but way cheaper to get.

Not illegal as long as you dont exceed daily limit. And as far as the section that makes it illegal to waste fish.... I dont expect any F.O. would waste his time on that.

Not illegal as long as you dont exceed daily limit. And as far as the section that makes it illegal to waste fish.... I dont expect any F.O. would waste his time on that.
Found that section -> "(3) No person who is food fishing for personal use or fishing for recreational or sport purposes shall waste any fish that is suitable for human consumption." Would really depend on the enforcement officers definition of waste I guess.. Good to know.

Seems akin to catching herring and using it as lingcod bait lol. Is all my fishing quasi illegal?? :oops:

if you are using a salmon head or tail that’s one thing. hacking up a live dogfish to throw in your trap is not legal.

Dude....you quoted it already. see your previous post. don’t know what else to say. good luck m8
use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose. - dictionary definition of waste. So I was asking if you had more information, as I am not wasting the dogfish that I use for crab bait.

So far the clearest reference I've found is in the reminders section of the Sport Fishing Guide:

Says "When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish that’s suitable for human consumption. You’re not allowed to use any finfish suitable for consumption as bait in trap fishing. However, you are allowed to use fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine" - although I can't find reference to this in the Sport Fishing Regulations.

Which indicates larger dogfish could be used, ie. over 60 cm, as they aren't fit for human consumption due to mercury.

Again, if you have knowledge of where to find concise black and white information, please, put my poor brain at rest.

This thread is somewhat off track due to the dogfish debacle. I have emailed DFO to ask them for clarification about this. I'll post in a new thread when I get information that is concise.

What
This thread is somewhat off track due to the dogfish debacle. I have emailed DFO to ask them for clarification about this. I'll post in a new thread when I get information that is concise.
Hey-- not done with the dogfish issue !!! ;) What you will most likely get from DFO, is a reciting of the regs that will be "By the book" BUTTTTTT sometimes its better to talk to a FO . Ask him/her if they would charge someone for using dogfish for bait-- I expect you will get a different answer. Now lets take a closer look at this : "When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish that’s suitable for human consumption. You’re not allowed to use any finfish suitable for consumption as bait in trap fishing. Got a definition of what is suitable ??? Is a nice large salmon head "suitable " ? Well, if you are a Nufie or FN, a fish head stew is to die for. But to most fishermen its crab bait or compost. And what about hali or salmon carcasses ??? Same issue !! Sometimes it doesnt pay to turn the dirt over, because you may not like what you find !!!! :cool:

What

Hey-- not done with the dogfish issue !!! ;) What you will most likely get from DFO, is a reciting of the regs that will be "By the book" BUTTTTTT sometimes its better to talk to a FO . Ask him/her if they would charge someone for using dogfish for bait-- I expect you will get a different answer. Now lets take a closer look at this : "When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish that’s suitable for human consumption. You’re not allowed to use any finfish suitable for consumption as bait in trap fishing. Got a definition of what is suitable ??? Is a nice large salmon head "suitable " ? Well, if you are a Nufie or FN, a fish head stew is to die for. But to most fishermen its crab bait or compost. And what about hali or salmon carcasses ??? Same issue !! Sometimes it doesnt pay to turn the dirt over, because you may not like what you find !!!! :cool:
I am in 100% agreement with you, and I'm willing to bet that the response I do get will be insufficient for the clarification I desire. Debatable words in that regulation are "waste", as already indicated, "suitable", as you so clearly explained. I will let you know what I hear back. Frankly, at this point, I see no reason to change my ways.

Back