Dungeness in Area 14

Bait:​

• Only fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine may be used as bait. No other finfish may be used as bait
. Under the fishing gear tab
I found the same thing, only not stated in regulations. I'm curious as to how this came to be.. and what the actual legalities are. Again the only reference I can find is in the fishing (general) regulations, section 34. Believe me, I've been looking.

Herring are a designated "bait fish" As Riverboy says.... big difference between using herring or Salmon frames and trim for bait and Catching dogfish or small rockfish to use as trap bait...

CR Greg
You should let the guys on Dangerous catch know about that.

Fish right off the end of the sewer pipe at French Creek. Lots of other traps around there. If you follow the line of bait logic of “matching the hatch” you can likely crap in your trap and ...let er rip

I found the same thing, only not stated in regulations. I'm curious as to how this came to be.. and what the actual legalities are. Again the only reference I can find is in the fishing (general) regulations, section 34. Believe me, I've been looking.
I spoke to a FO at the Victoria Boat Show in 2019 and she claimed the prohibition on wasting human consumable parts as bait is not actually in the law. I guess that makes the online regulation just a red herring. :). Not surprising the government can't even figure out what's legal in its own mess of rules.

Back