dual helm steering

Ya I meant to say when added to my second steering station for my I/O. Same idea as in the pic posted, but had to use two stick binnacles instead of the single . Throttle on Kicker remained the same. Sorry for the confusion

My main engine is set up like Fig. 5 paralleled in the sea star .pdf posted above. It works great for a main engine application but I think FA's or pro fishers system would work better for you and your kicker.

My main engine is set up like Fig. 5 paralleled in the sea star .pdf posted above. It works great for a main engine application but I think FA's or pro fishers system would work better for you and your kicker.

Ya I agree the pro troll kicker control is very sensitive and let you set speeds very accurate. It's also a cheaper option!

My kicker remote control unit is mounted on the side wall just behind the main helm seat. From that position I can come off plane and switch over to running on the kicker in a few seconds all without getting out of the main helm station chair. While out the back fishing the kicker remote station is easily accessible for throttle control and taking it out of gear etc. With proper positioning you really only need one remote control kicker station on most boats unless you have an enclosed cabin. You can also get a fine adjustment electronic throttle control module with speed resume to mount up at you main helm station but they are expensive (about $300.) and if you have a full remote kicker with an accessible remote control station while out the back, not all that necessary unless you have money to burn.

Hi Rockfish - would love to see a picture of your placement of kicker control unit in your boat..

Hi Rockfish - would love to see a picture of your placement of kicker control unit in your boat..

You can see it in the background of this picture of a 2013 Sooke Coho. You will notice that the main helm chair is on a platform and is turned around facing backwards when the picture was taken. I always test and warm up the kicker at the dock before going out so when I come down from plane on the main I just reach back behind my shoulder while facing forward in the chair, drop the kicker on the power lift and turn the key and it starts right up. Then put the kicker in gear, then put the main out of gear and turn it off and you are steering and powered by the kicker. Takes about 10 seconds or less, all while sitting in the main helm chair facing forward and steering while the guys swing out the riggers and start getting the gear down. Very useful in the fog and a crowd, as you can check out the other boats on radar, keep a good forward watch, plan the course, call out depth ect. and steer while transitioning from travel to fishing. If you want to go back on the main to move to another location it is also very easy and fast.

I also included a picture of my second hydraulic helm steering station with a small wheel on top of the transom. This is the one you can steer with while working gear and playing/netting fish or if you want a little sun. PS - there is cap on each helm station for checking and adding Hydraulic fluid. I was told to never open the one on the transom helm as it is lower than the main helm and let’s just say it would be messy. Always check and add fluid on the helm that is the highest so gravity and pump pressure does not cause a lot of fluid to flow out of the lower positioned helm when the fill cap is out. These are Seastar systems and I have had little in the way of issues with them other than to change out the upper shaft seal on the transom helm once as it was sweating fluid. Needed a large quality gear puller to get the wheel off the shaft without causing damage to the helm. Once you have done it once, it is easy.

Attachments

• 284.jpg
    284.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 314.jpg
    314.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited by a moderator:
So, looks like I have the steering figured out. Next question, is there any way to have front and rear kicker controls?

You could rig up a set of Kobelt controls. You would have 2 levers up front and 2 levers on the back bulkhead or stern. The levers would run both the main and the kicker from either station. I have this on 2 of my boats and swear by it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Hi all
I picked up a Seasport 24 Explorer last fall, with NO rear helm steering station. Looking for Throttle control and steering for both the main and the kicker. Which I really would like to install before summer. I have a Volvo Penta IO with a Yam 9.9 kicker. TR-1 auto pilot already installed. One option is to use the TR1 remote, but that I find is sometimes difficult when in a crowd on the water. Is there a better way? Any recommendations as to how to go about this would be much appreciated. Have to assume others have figured this out already.

Rockfish, are those helms run in parallel or in series (Perhaps they are tee'd / with the relief port that is shown in the sea star docs)? That's an excellent setup you have just wondering what is involved in hooking up a second one on to an existing sea star hydraulic system. TIA!

S
Hi all
I picked up a Seasport 24 Explorer last fall, with NO rear helm steering station. Looking for Throttle control and steering for both the main and the kicker. Which I really would like to install before summer. I have a Volvo Penta IO with a Yam 9.9 kicker. TR-1 auto pilot already installed. One option is to use the TR1 remote, but that I find is sometimes difficult when in a crowd on the water. Is there a better way? Any recommendations as to how to go about this would be much appreciated. Have to assume others have figured this out already.

I love the tr1 that's what I have used in the past and will be installing one next month.

S

I love the tr1 that's what I have used in the past and will be installing one next month.

Did you already pick one up or are you still looking for one? I'm back to thinking more and more about switching to something like what Rockfish has.

Kmr240
Did that exact same thing last year. Bought the exterior factory consul from Seasport ($550usd)
New helm pump and wheel ($495) had to buy 2 new double stick binnacles ($750) if you got single binnacle It won't work, I called the Factory to check. Plumbed my kicker into the new dual steering station system. You can steer It inside or outside. ONLY down side is you can't run the IO and use the kicker steering at the same time, The power steering overwhelms the system. Maybe with adjustable needle valves it would work, but I have 2 lever valves to isolate kicker from hydraulic power steering when on the big motor and I open them up when I shut IO down. We have special KEVLAR HYDRAULIC lines running to your ram, you cannot remove and replace, TRUST ME ITS VERY IMPORTANT. The dual station is the best money I spent, I use to run a Goertz troll eze. I can give you a smoking good deal on it if Ya want. After Using it for a year, I needed to buy the new fancy SIMRAD Chartplotter.

Barrie, you have a PM sir! :)

If I were to set up a new boat, the dual binnacle looks like the way to go, would be very much worth it in the long run. So many ways to go about this. All depends on the setup. For me if I need to change speed, I just adjust the tiller handle, simple, and it works! Im sure it's nice to have that remote control though.

Things get tough when you have an enclosed cabin, easy to sit there and watch the sounder but hard to access the back deck, or see the rods at all times!!!

Fishinzinn,
I too have a yammie tiller handle kicker. The 2 stick binnacles only to control the IO, I was sorry if my post was confusing. My SS is the XL that are a short cabin and 90% windows. If it's nice out, I sit outside on starboard side to steer etc. had to buy the Simrad plotter/sounder cause I can't see my Furuno plotter, it's only 7" and I got tinted window and polarized sunglasses. I can see inside sounder cause it's 10" screen with black background and red highlites.

I think I'm going strip off my TR1 and go with a rear helm to the spashwell area. Is there a Seastar helm that would be better suited for a vertical application similar to what Rockfish has? Other than the helm itself and an add a helm fitting kit and some hose. Is there anything else a guy really needs for the install? Where do you get those steering wheels?

Hi all
Hey KRM240,
Welcome to the Sea Sport family. There are a few of us on here. I have dual station for my main but actually hand steer and throttle on the Yamaha 9.9. I may change later. But for now I like to have instant control. When we are playing a fish one guy can be on the kicker while bringing up the other line or helping net.
Plus if you are in the currents or weeds makes turning much easier and quicker. My SS does not have good visibility from the rear station. I always thought it was better to be constantly changing speed and direction anyway. Except for Sockeye that is.

Sir reel,
Don't tell me you sit out there in the rain and fog? Damn I'm a friggin sissy!

Last year I did not have one day of rain or fog. Was actually too hot and sunny. Figures. First year I had radar too.
Really skewed my perception and I may soon changed. I actually have a TR1 that I pulled out and may just put that back in. However Waypoint marine showed me a hydraulic system that you hook into the main steering but can easily disconnect and isolate with a key switched valve. Valve was only $250 I think plus hose, cylinder and wheel. I would put one of those small wheels on the back transom. Then I could steer inside if I wanted.

I solo fished sockeye salmon off the mouth of the Fraser last year and with hand steering was able to run downriggers, land Sockeye and watch our for weeds and other crazy boaters. Was a gongshow but don't think I could have done that with a different setup. Lots of fun. Limited in a hour.

Besides that's what fishing buddies are for right? Hey buddy you want to go fishing? Maybe bring a rain coat. Just in case. Lol

Hoping to see some other Seasports in the Bamfield area. Always interested in seeing how others have outfitted their boats. I am from Youbou, but the boat will be in Bamfield most of this summer.
Bought the exterior factory consul from Seasport ($550usd)
I just did that yesterday! I have it on order. $495us now.
The consol was the start, just need to figure out the rest. Would like to keep the TR1, but if that has to go ...

Back