Do you buy quality lead cannonballs?

On the topic of quality balls, any recommendations or suggestion on places (or people) in the Comox Valley to pick up a couple of 15 pounders in late June?

Around here, I just see a lot of hitch 'balls' on rig rockets. Would they be made of lead??? Maybe I could start to stockpile some of them, make 'em into a bunch of steers ;)

I didn't start this thread to bash anyone, promote anyone, or directly affect anyone....I started it out of curiosity after seeing so many crappy balls being sold. It seems to have gone a different direction then I wanted....I have way better things to do with my spare time then worry about another mans balls...... LOL :)

You started this thread because you were worried about another man's ball's :p. That is the whole meaning of the thread :D. Funny to you, but educational at the same time :).

I would just suggest you look after your own balls from now on. It was educational and it opened peoples eyes to other men's balls for sure :eek:.

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK why but I seem to catch more fish when my balls are dirty lol :p

On the topic of quality balls, any recommendations or suggestion on places (or people) in the Comox Valley to pick up a couple of 15 pounders in late June?

Around here, I just see a lot of hitch 'balls' on rig rockets. Would they be made of lead??? Maybe I could start to stockpile some of them, make 'em into a bunch of steers ;)

I buy mine from Fish Assassin.

I was having a ball reading this but now it is "Balls to the wall" and back to work!

Well it's better then having your balls in a vise.......

photo_zpsf6af8f6f.jpg

I was in wal mart months ago and peaked at their balls. There was crap sticking out the side of them looked like some sort of metal rod or something.

Can be yours for about $50.

I get my balls online but have no idea their quality some I got were shiney which I read here isn't good but I'm happy with them. Anything that doesn't break the bank and gets the gear down is ok in my books.

About 5 years ago when 15 lbers. hit $50.00 each, I bought a mold for $75.00, have built dozens (fist with sh*tty lead) and more recently with quality lead. I don't sell them, but have given many to my friends. I don't recall any difference in my succes rate between lousy lead and "pure" lead.

Pouring lead is no fun, but at $50 bucks a pop I can save myself $300 in an hours work.

anyone know where to get a 15# mold? I've been looking for awhile but haven't had any luck... I've been pouring and using 12#'ers the last few seasons but wouldn't mind going bigger.

anyone know where to get a 15# mold? I've been looking for awhile but haven't had any luck... I've been pouring and using 12#'ers the last few seasons but wouldn't mind going bigger.
I got mine from Lummi Fish Supply in Bellingham. They have a website.

How many balls are you guys going through per year that you need to worry about buying molds and pouring your own?

I'm puzzled.

I've lost one in the last 3 years and that was due to a bonehead move when packing it in for the day one time.

I lose a couple a year. Had one guy buy 10 and came back the following week for 10 more as he decided to learn how to fish Cape Beale that weekend. :)

If your going to try to make your own balls safely get ready for some expenses which makes other guys balls look good... LOL :) hahaha

Ad in propane, a burner, a pot, a really good respirator, really good welding gloves, the cost of good lead, your time, coveralls, damage, health affects, molds, cutters, damage to your property.... You might find it not worth it.

Is it worth it? I haven't poured a ball in a couple years. I am just a middle man selling another guys balls now

Back