Do you buy quality lead cannonballs?

I dont make balls so to me it doesnt matter what is in them,
but I do know this from making my own bullets for years you cant hide **** that wants to float.
but I have also seen those pictures posted on CL slagging balls from surrey, now thats a pretty
broad generalization since there are a few people in surrey that make them
so as not to slag all of them or give them all a black eye why not post up whos they are if you are so confidant who's they are?
if the members the balls came from would rather pm me please do so and I'll post it
seems like a bit of a witch hunt to me
Tim

I don't like dirty balls, but don't understand how FA gets them, its more work to get that crap in a mold. I have poured lead for 20+ years, used wheel weights when they were cheap/free, use any lead I can get now. Thanks to my son I have a ton (no not selling). Clean, dirty, contaminated it all goes in the smelter, all crap floats, do not let it pour in a mold. Clean shinny lead "pours" and makes good strong clean lures, weights or jigs. Good ling lures with a perfect mold poured do not allow the wire to pull out and they weight what they say. So to end, like you FA I like clean balls, I do it right to get them.

HM

I am not sure how they hide stuff in balls..... Seems like way to much work and dangerous.

If you actually take the time to read this thread before coming to the defence of your friends that may be pouring poor balls you will read that the stuff in those photos was not in balls I received.

Its just amazing what kind of trashy material people are making cannonballs from. You can see it in photos all over the internet. As said in the first post in this topic if you've read it :)

I haven't poured a ball now in a couple years as it just not worth it.

I have had guys ask me to melt and re-pour their lead for them.... Again it's not worth it. I have just offered them my gear and not one has ever said OK.

I have personally found ball bearings, nails/bolts and scrap metal though. Oh then there's keel lead. That is often full of building materials. It is often not worth the time to cut it up. Again I am not sure how it gets hidden.

I have had guys in the past trade in trashy balls they bought that are full of contaminates that have ruined my good lead during a pour. Skimming and fluxing won't remove the impurities. You'd need to own a refinery to clean crap lead.

The only person your fooling, is yourself when thinking your lead is clean.

I purchased a couple 12 lbers last year from wholesale sports because HC was out of them, I noticed the other day that one has deteriorated and is exposing some type dirty lead in the middle of the cannonball.. Beat.. I thought maybe I had a voltage problem with my boat and stainless steel wire ...nope .. DIRTY BALLS.. must be , guess I will be in the market for some clean ones now..

I purchased a couple 12 lbers last year from wholesale sports because HC was out of them, I noticed the other day that one has deteriorated and is exposing some type dirty lead in the middle of the cannonball.. Beat.. I thought maybe I had a voltage problem with my boat and stainless steel wire ...nope .. DIRTY BALLS.. must be , guess I will be in the market for some clean ones now..

Jeffy that's a big shame. I don't sell balls to wholesale but I do to chandler take your wholesale balls when you have time to chandler and a change them free of charge I know you support chandler and if your buying balls from them then me too. They have lots at the moments. I will contact Dane and let him know tomorrow as he's not in today .ill just use your lead for my ling weights and replace 2 balls to chandler whem I head there next. Take any colour you want it doesn't matter.

Edit actually Jeffy it's Tuesday ill call there now for yeah.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay Jeffy take them and go see Dane he's pretty sure he knows who you are as I don't know 100% but just from reading your posts I know you shop there alot.

AND NO!!!! FA you cannot buy 100 shi..... Balls and trade in to the chandler. Jeffy is being and honest guy who has no relationship to me at all and I know he's not scamming the system. LOL

Also to fact that he went to chandler and they were sold out.

Cheers

Dam and I just secured an order of a hundred dirty balls for cheap.... LOL :)

I'd cancel it, but I used your name and number when ordering..... :)

Wow. thanks that's awesome of you to do that , To whoever poured these DIRTYBALLS.. take that.. and also let it be known I do not know CCB or represent his company at all, Kudo`s to him for replacing someone else`s DIRTYBALLS.. would love to see a cross section view of these to see what they are really using.

Glad to help out Jeffy as I try to make as best a product I can at a good price.

Cheers

Should send this info to Wholesale Sports.....

Return them to them, then go buy new ones else where. That's what I'd do

You're not going to know out of the blue how many volts any downrigger ball is emitting while trolling.

There is a way to test them on land in a container of saltwater ...but it would be too involved for most people.

Most tackle is far enough back from the d/ball that you wonder if it matters.

If you were trailing .65 volts that would be good. If you were trailing way above that it might not be good.

The issue was more important with wire lines...where a "hot" ball could affect the wire voltage.....so Scotty always advised to isolate the ball.....but some guys went ahead and connected their wire lines to the balls direct and claimed even better results.

With braid you get no line voltage ...but you are still trailing some kind of voltage from the ball if there is more than one metal in the ball.

The old commies used iron balls ......and there is metal denser than lead (if you want to pay for it).

A ball with mixed metal in it would have to be slightly bigger than a 100% lead ball to get the same weight.

Who knows ...maybe that 's why one side of a boat outfishes the other side....because one ball is putting out the wrong voltage.

Sure ...you can get vinyl-coated balls......which will be slightly bigger diameter because of the coating......I've no proof that coated outfishes non-coated (other than some guys say the colored or glow -coated do outfish a normal lead ball).

Should send this info to Wholesale Sports.....

Return them to them, then go buy new ones else where. That's what I'd do

I cant seem to find the receipt for them, but at the time I was buying a 1080 manual downrigger I couldn`t find anywhere else didn't realize the price I was paying for the lead until later,live n learn I guess. I am going to take CCB up on his very generous offer. hope he cuts them open to show the impurities I know is in there.

I cant seem to find the receipt for them, but at the time I was buying a 1080 manual downrigger I couldn`t find anywhere else didn't realize the price I was paying for the lead until later,live n learn I guess. I am going to take CCB up on his very generous offer. hope he cuts them open to show the impurities I know is in there.

No Problem Jeffy but they won't cut them open I will melt them up in Hardy when I go in late June as spare 1lbers , cause right now I have no plans to go to the island anytime soon.

Cheers

Those photos of junk in cannon balls is unbelievable! Why someone would go to all that trouble is just insane.

Was easy to find out who supplies the cannonballs to Wholesale Sports. Made one phone call and asked. That person should be ashamed of his doings. I directed the person I spoke to to have a look this thread.

Maybe the maker or Wholsale Sports will post a reply :)

Oh who cares. We all have made mixed balls at some point the thing to do is learn from it to make a great product. If somebody wants to make balls like that put them in big box stores let them they are only hurting themselves. I know when I make bare balls I try to make em as pure and purfect as possible. It's very hard to find cheaper clean pure lead in large amounts so people use whatever. Also some shops don't care as alot of people don't care aswell. I've seen some shops have horendous looking balls and selling for more then a gibbs stamped pure lead ball. Also just cause one place has a specific ball does not mean all balls there are made by the same supplier or maker. A few places have my balls but also others as well. I'm in the process of getting my molds cut with a marking to mark my balls so there's no confusion when buying bare lead balls or coated balls for that matter. People also claim to use pure lead I have seen it on a recipte and for sure 100% not pure. Just because you pay $60 for a cannon ball does not mean its of the highest quality . That goes for anything in retail for that matter. I had a Hugo boss belt lasted 2 years I had a PNE belt lasted 10 years go figure . Lol

Lets get out fishing and prawning

Cheers

I went and saw Dane today and picked out a couple beauties Thanx again CCB, should have them swimming in a couple hours :cool:

I didn't start this thread to bash anyone, promote anyone, or directly affect anyone....I started it out of curiosity after seeing so many crappy balls being sold. It seems to have gone a different direction then I wanted....I have way better things to do with my spare time then worry about another mans balls...... LOL :)

Back