Dimpled Cannonballs......?

Seafever

They put dimples on golf balls to make them go faster through the air.

Just a thought that this tech could be transferred to downrigger lead balls.

Of course, d/balls aren't going very fast through the water.....but I'm wondering if it would create less resistance on them this way.

I think golf balls are made like that because they also want them to spin which makes them fly further...I'm not looking for the cannon balls I use to spin

Dimples on a golf ball provide lift which increases distance, reduce or increase spin, and improve trajectory depending on their size and location on the golf ball. The do absolutely nothing to provide a more aerodynamic surface.

You should thinking along the lines of Shark Skin which is one of the most aerodynamic surfaces in water there is. Fluid Dynamically speaking, picture a modern submarine and go from there. Modern Submarines exteriors are one of the most fluid dynamic things ever designed by man.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Golf ball dimples break up the boundary layer of air that 'sticks' to a smooth surface - especially when speeds are high
With water, you want the flow to be as laminar as possible so smooth is best - ( exception being fins/ tail flukes of whales ) which we can't re-create for our proposes
The object with the least total surface area to weight ratio is a sphere and our low speeds do not offer any gains for more hydrodynamic shapes
( winter fishing withdrawl made me do some research...)

Why not tear dropped shaped like submarine hulls. Lot of research went into that .

That would be interesting....trying a "shark skin" coating on the d/ball.....not sure what product I'd use though.

That's one of the buggaboos of lead....getting any paint to stick to it well......

Golf ball dimples break up the boundary layer of air that 'sticks' to a smooth surface - especially when speeds are high
With water, you want the flow to be as laminar as possible so smooth is best - ( exception being fins/ tail flukes of whales ) which we can't re-create for our proposes
The object with the least total surface area to weight ratio is a sphere and our low speeds do not offer any gains for more hydrodynamic shapes
( winter fishing withdrawl made me do some research...)
You suffer from that too Terry? After the fall pilgrimage to the bush for swamp donkeys and to the flows for winter runs, I spend all winter working on boats, cleaning up gear and dreaming about my next opportunity to be out there. (of course, interrupted by brief moments of cold winter spring fishing) ;)

They put dimples on golf balls to make them go faster through the air.

Just a thought that this tech could be transferred to downrigger lead balls.

Of course, d/balls aren't going very fast through the water.....but I'm wondering if it would create less resistance on them this way.
I don't know about you guys but my cannonballs have all the dimples on them they can handle!!!

Back