Deadheads on the North Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnFisher

A lesson I learned this weekend.
Deadheads are a real thing. This is a warning to all other boaters on the Fraser. To start with there’s one at MacDonald ramp just inside the entrance. It’s visible. A short while later I hit a submerged one going down the North Arm.
I took my wife out this weekend, who is a white knuckle boater to say the least, trying to help her feel comfortable on the water in our 21.5 ft Campion Victoria(1995).
Needless to say this incident did not help my cause one bit.
A tug was towing a log boom up river as I was going down river. Obviously I had to keep to one side to go by him. I thought I picked the safe option, between him and the sandbar. I was doing about 25 mph in about 12 ft of water (near low slack tide) when there was a great bang and my stern abruptly rose up out of the water and slammed back down.
I dropped the revs and noticed my motor vibrating badly. Immediately I knew the prop was damaged and possibly more…but no noise of rushing water was evident.
We limped in behind the log barriers on the North side of the river and threw out the anchor. I jumped into armpit-deep water and went to work to change out my 4-blade prop that was now a 3-blade prop, with the spare I carry with me always. Got ‘er done and after multiple checks for further damage we continued on for a great day out by Bowen and Gibsons, enjoying the nice conditions while catching a few undersized Springs.
It could easily have been a lot worse…it could have hit the bow area or taken off the lower leg or even the transom. I feel fortunate and thankful for my wife’s wellbeing too. Kudos to her, she got over the shock soon, to my surprise and relief.
Upon returning home I noticed paint that was scraped clean from the stern area of the hull just to the right of the motor and scratch marks on the right side of the recently installed stainless steel skeg guard.
I did not see this deadhead since it was under the murky surface by a few inches. Be warned and please be careful out there.

7D13B217-D4C1-408C-8C03-DDEA69350F29.jpeg 7EB2DF75-8ABA-4776-987A-B118F6B5B789.jpeg

I keep my boat at Milltown. Its not if you'll hit a deadhead, it's just a matter of when you'll hit one. Sometimes you luck out and get off the power in time, sometimes you swerve at the right time and avoid a major event. Sometimes they slide down the side of your hull. We've all hit them. You were lucky. I assume the bent prop was aluminum? I've actually hit some strange things on the river. I hit a sturgeon once. I didn't see it till I hit it.

Glad everyone was ok. I had two ruined seasons from future damage caused by a log I never saw (or even fealt for that matter). Just payment for all of this enjoyment we get on the coast I guess ;)

Ya fair warning indeed, glad you saved the day and no one was injured. I nailed one off the mouth of Howe sound back in June, never saw it. I circled back testing the boat figured I was done for the season. Found the ****** about 3' below the surface and it was at least 12" across...fortunately for me, I nailed it where it was rotted out inside. Props are stainless and OK, no leaks woohoo...didn't even scuff the fresh AF paint. I kick myself as I know that's a nasty area as debris floods out and back in exactly where I was running.

Always out there particularly with all the huge water the Fraser took this spring. Stay safe everyone!

A lesson I learned this weekend.
Deadheads are a real thing. This is a warning to all other boaters on the Fraser. To start with there’s one at MacDonald ramp just inside the entrance. It’s visible. A short while later I hit a submerged one going down the North Arm.
I took my wife out this weekend, who is a white knuckle boater to say the least, trying to help her feel comfortable on the water in our 21.5 ft Campion Victoria(1995).
Needless to say this incident did not help my cause one bit.
A tug was towing a log boom up river as I was going down river. Obviously I had to keep to one side to go by him. I thought I picked the safe option, between him and the sandbar. I was doing about 25 mph in about 12 ft of water (near low slack tide) when there was a great bang and my stern abruptly rose up out of the water and slammed back down.
I dropped the revs and noticed my motor vibrating badly. Immediately I knew the prop was damaged and possibly more…but no noise of rushing water was evident.
We limped in behind the log barriers on the North side of the river and threw out the anchor. I jumped into armpit-deep water and went to work to change out my 4-blade prop that was now a 3-blade prop, with the spare I carry with me always. Got ‘er done and after multiple checks for further damage we continued on for a great day out by Bowen and Gibsons, enjoying the nice conditions while catching a few undersized Springs.
It could easily have been a lot worse…it could have hit the bow area or taken off the lower leg or even the transom. I feel fortunate and thankful for my wife’s wellbeing too. Kudos to her, she got over the shock soon, to my surprise and relief.
Upon returning home I noticed paint that was scraped clean from the stern area of the hull just to the right of the motor and scratch marks on the right side of the recently installed stainless steel skeg guard.
I did not see this deadhead since it was under the murky surface by a few inches. Be warned and please be careful out there.

View attachment 84340 View attachment 84341
You hit a submerged steel object to rip the blade off like that.

At least it was a nice warm day ! Going into the water in the shallows is better than out in the middle of the straight hanging off the back! My buddy did the same thing a few years ago, reduced the blades by one.

I keep my boat at Milltown. Its not if you'll hit a deadhead, it's just a matter of when you'll hit one. Sometimes you luck out and get off the power in time, sometimes you swerve at the right time and avoid a major event. Sometimes they slide down the side of your hull. We've all hit them. You were lucky. I assume the bent prop was aluminum? I've actually hit some strange things on the river. I hit a sturgeon once. I didn't see it till I hit it.
Yes. Aluminum prop and I am so glad it is aluminum.

At least it was a nice warm day ! Going into the water in the shallows is better than out in the middle of the straight hanging off the back! My buddy did the same thing a few years ago, reduced the blades by one.
It was the best day for a dip with the warm sun and warm water temps.

North of Keats when cruising to Gibsons with the family @30 mph and hit a submerged log. The things surfaced after we stopped and it had a piece of rope hanging from its tail. As someone mentioned, "fresh off a boom out of Jervis". There was a bit of oil leak and vibration from the engine but there was no sign of water coming in. After limping to Gibson on the kicker, managed to change the prop and she brought us back home. That kept me out of water for almost two months, ended up replacing the leg and it was an expensive repair but could've been much worse.

My mechanic tells me that there are three group of boaters: those who have hit something, those who are going to hit something and the 3rd group are the ones that don't ride their boats!

Glad everyone was OK.

1661875909307.png

1661876209629.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back