Dan Barber: How I fell in love with a fish

FYI: TED ( Technology, Education, Design) invites some amazing speakers who are tops in their field. It is held every year in Long Beach and all types of topics are addressed. I remember one lecture about the Sunfish whch was very good. Each lecture is 20 min long. While attendees pay thousands$ to attend the week long event, all lectures are later free online. Interestingly a an event planning company in North Vancouver puts this on every year( thats a long story but a plug for North Van !). A friend of mine works with a team that puts this together then heads down there during the event.

Great video! I think it would be interesting to hear what local pro fish farm advocates, SockeyeFry and Barbender have to say about the concepts and ideas put forth in this video. More and more as time goes by, the harmful and unsustainable methods of fish farming they support are losing their credibility and validity. Not soon enough in my and a growing number of other peoples opinion.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Well put, however should this come as a surprise? This so called farm is actually mother nature and we all know that wild fish taste much better than farmed. And we all know that mother nature's course always takes the sustainable route. And wetlands have been used for centuries for wastewater treatment. So really nothing new and nobody should be surprised execpt for individuals who have been turning a blind eye to this by ignorance or purposeful denial.

Arent fish hatcheries a more natural way of fish farming? Lets put more money into hatcheries and get rid of the Fish Farms!!!!

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by CC Charters

Arent fish hatcheries a more natural way of fish farming? Lets put more money into hatcheries and get rid of the Fish Farms!!!!

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg
I agree I'd like to see hatcheries have enough funding although I know some of us are concerned about the effect hatcheries have on wilds. I beleive that farms should exist but only if they are operated seperate from the ocean and are sustainable...otherwise they should be closed down.
I do get a bit twichy when anyone compares hatcheries with farms and doesn't make it absolutely clear that they are VERY different.
The buisness and practical aspects of farming salmon is not even close to being similar to that of hatcheries. I wouldn't suggest a hatchery fish 'is a natural way of farming " at all because hatcheries are not farming.
I think we should emphasize ( to the general public ) that a hatchery fish and a farmed fish are COMPLETELY different. Too many times I have heard on the street people refering negatively to farmed fish when actually they are describing a hatchery fish......or visa versa, they are refering negatively to a hatchery but describing a fish farm. Some people get mixed up and its up to us to assist in straightening out that misconception.

I listened to about 60% of the talk but had to turn it off-couldn't stand that guy's whining voice. [V]

Back