Cuts of meat on sale

I saw a video talking about Teres Major being a decent steak for flavor, yet low fat. It’s from the chuck area, not far from the flat iron cut. I prefer a prime ribeye, choice or Angus will do. Erica prefers a lower fat filet. We both enjoy flat irons though. Being close to the flat iron, I thought I’d give the Teres Major a go. Had to buy it in bulk, 10# ( 8 or so cuts) for $5.05 USD per pound. For comparison, ribeyes are as low as $10/#, but often $13 for choice/angus and at least $16-$20 for prime.

They look a lot like little sections of filet, but not nearly as tender. Had to trim a fair bit of silver skin off each piece. Knowing that they weren’t as tender, I decided to season one up (Montreal steak seasoning) and plop it I. The sous vide. 132°F for 2 hours. Removed it and gave it a sear in the big green egg. For the money, a pretty good deal. Good flavor without ribeye level of fat. I don’t think I’d buy them wig I didn’t sous vide them. Then again, I sous vide my flat irons too. Not very many places cut the flat irons out, so these are a decent compromise.
Teres major is a cut of beef that comes from the chuck section of the cow, right below its front leg. It is about the size of a pork tenderloin and happens to be the second most tender cut from a cow (after the tenderloin, of course).

Superstore had whole pork loins for 1.99lb
Safeway has back ribs for 3.99lb
Independent has whole briskets for 3.99lb as well.
Time for a load up!!
Cheers
How'd the briskets look?

Back