Cuts of meat on sale

Thrifty Foods has oysters in the shell on sale starting Thurs.
Lucky 88’s, Malpeque or Torpedo Bay.
When you purchase 12 + oysters $.50 each.
Last sale we purchased 7 dozen, all varieties and they were all excellent.

I think it will be oysters for appetizers and prime rib (on sale $11.99lb) for Christmas dinner this year.

Attachments

• Oysters $.50 each.jpg
    Oysters $.50 each.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 14
Thrifty Foods has oysters in the shell on sale starting Thurs.
Lucky 88’s, Malpeque or Torpedo Bay.
When you purchase 12 + oysters $.50 each.
Last sale we purchased 7 dozen, all varieties and they were all excellent.

I think it will be oysters for appetizers and prime rib (on sale $11.99lb) for Christmas dinner this year.
They had the same sale last week, but because of the storms and coming from Victoria area, none were available in the Nanaimo store we went to on Monday. Called today and they might appear some time Thursday.
We have similar menus.

Well marbled, aged 21 days, Alberta AAA Black Angus at Quality Foods for $ 9.99 / lb!

Zw9EiU7.jpg

Awesome!!

Cheers,
Nog

I still have one in the freezer from last year . Should do something with that soon
Pork freezer burns really fast. It will likely have some freezer burn that you can cut off and still salvage most of it. I try to use my pork products before six months.

Pork freezer burns really fast. It will likely have some freezer burn that you can cut off and still salvage most of it. I try to use my pork products before six months.
I’m not very confident in my pork leg processing . Anyone want this thing and give me a little taste of the final product ?

I’m not very confident in my pork leg processing . Anyone want this thing and give me a little taste of the final product ?
Since it's frozen, put a new blade in your sawzall and cut it into manageable sizes. Then just eat it as pork roasts.

I did my first few smoked pork legs last year and nailed a great recipe. It's pretty easy...don't be intimidated.

-Thaw in fridge for 48 hours
-Trim excess fat and membrane.
-Fully immerse in chilled brine (top-up with cold water) and refrigerate for 72 hours.
-Rinse excess brine with cold water
-Allow leg to come up to near room temp at least 2-3 hours.
-Pre-heat smoker to 250F
-Apply rub liberally everywhere & insert thermometer
-Plan on approximately 90 minutes per pound. 10lb bone-in leg can take up to 20 hours.
-Apply smoke until internal temp reaches 150F, then remove and wrap leg in foil until internal temp reaches 200F.
-Experiment with your favourite wood smoke. We used hickory/mesquite, and cherry/apple. Both came out amazing.

BRINE (prep the day before you plan on starting your brine).
1.5 cups Apple Cider vinegar
1 litre apple juice
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup non-iodized brining salt
Pepper
Garlic
Onions
Spice / Hot Sauce to taste
Bring to a low simmer for an hour. Allow brine to cool, then refrigerate.

RUB
Garlic powder
Onion powder/soup
1 cup brown sugar
Pepper
Cajun/Cayenne
Paprika
Slather leg with 1 cup yellow mustard, then apply rub evenly.

Last edited:
I did my first few smoked pork legs last year and nailed a great recipe. It's pretty easy...don't be intimidated.

-Thaw in fridge for 48 hours
-Trim excess fat and membrane.
-Fully immerse in chilled brine (top-up with cold water) and refrigerate for 72 hours.
-Rinse excess brine with cold water
-Allow leg to come up to near room temp at least 2-3 hours.
-Pre-heat smoker to 250F
-Apply rub liberally everywhere & insert thermometer
-Plan on approximately 90 minutes per pound. 10lb bone-in leg can take up to 20 hours.
-Apply smoke until internal temp reaches 150F, then remove and wrap leg in foil until internal temp reaches 200F.
-Experiment with your favourite wood smoke. We used hickory/mesquite, and cherry/apple. Both came out amazing.

BRINE (prep the day before you plan on starting your smoke).
1.5 cups Apple Cider vinegar
1 litre apple juice
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup non-iodized brining salt
Pepper
Garlic
Onions
Spice / Hot Sauce to taste
Bring to a low simmer for an hour. Allow brine to cool, then refrigerate.

RUB
Garlic powder
Onion powder/soup
1 cup brown sugar
Pepper
Cajun/Cayenne
Paprika
Slather leg with 1 cup yellow mustard, then apply rub evenly.
Got any pictures? Sounds delicious!

Back