Cut plug rig

Down riggers vs. mooching, lets see.. Being somewhat of a purist when it comes to mooching cut plug herring on the sliders, it all depends on the method at hand to decide on the size of bait to use. In the charlottes there are two distinctive runs of herring in the area through the summer months... In early to mid June the first of the goldy backs come through in schools the size of many football fields.. If you are lucky to jig some of this natural bait up you will find that the size is big lg. to xtra lg.
Depending on your method, be it downriggers or mooching take these considerations into hand.. When riggin cutty's it only makes sense to use a med. to lg. in order not to blow them out quicker than say an ex. lg..
When mooching the old saying-the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish surely holds true as I have worked with 23 other guides on a daily basis and when a case of xtra. lg. gets thrown into the bait freezer you know who is on the dock first in the morning. It can be a frenzy in it's own...
Charlotte herring are by far larger than their southern cousin's so it only goes to show what the pigs preferences are on each and every tide!!!Hope it helps.cheers-the dirtdog

Down riggers vs. mooching, lets see.. Being somewhat of a purist when it comes to mooching cut plug herring on the sliders, it all depends on the method at hand to decide on the size of bait to use. In the charlottes there are two distinctive runs of herring in the area through the summer months... In early to mid June the first of the goldy backs come through in schools the size of many football fields.. If you are lucky to jig some of this natural bait up you will find that the size is big lg. to xtra lg.
Depending on your method, be it downriggers or mooching take these considerations into hand.. When riggin cutty's it only makes sense to use a med. to lg. in order not to blow them out quicker than say an ex. lg..
When mooching the old saying-the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish surely holds true as I have worked with 23 other guides on a daily basis and when a case of xtra. lg. gets thrown into the bait freezer you know who is on the dock first in the morning. It can be a frenzy in it's own...
Charlotte herring are by far larger than their southern cousin's so it only goes to show what the pigs preferences are on each and every tide!!!Hope it helps.cheers-the dirtdog

Not so much by choice mama. The Size of fish dropped off dramatically pulling those 15lb. balls of lead over their heads.. Don't get me wrong, it was nice having the cover over the head on those rainy day's.. Bigger fish on the sliders no doubt about it..cheers-Dirtdog

Not so much by choice mama. The Size of fish dropped off dramatically pulling those 15lb. balls of lead over their heads.. Don't get me wrong, it was nice having the cover over the head on those rainy day's.. Bigger fish on the sliders no doubt about it..cheers-Dirtdog

Back