crazy steering

jimbob

My boat constantly wants to pull to the right at high speed. Also at low speed I can hold the wheel in a fixed position to travel in a straight line but the boat wanders at least 20 degrees off course to both the left and right which is quite weird. Any ideas???

Jimbob … What kind of boat? 2 stroke or 4? Could be you center of gravity is out. Try putting 2 or 3 sand bags up there and see if that helps. If it does than you may want to move gas and batteries up there. GLG

On the bottom of the cavitation plate, there should be a Zinc
shaped like a fin. usually one bolt secures to the plate.
you can undo the bolt and move the fin a few degrees to the left
or right(depending on the pull)
this may help correct the problem.

Jimbob

At slow speeds, just trim your leg up a bit and see if that makes a difference in weaving. I owned a boat for 4 years that did that. The day I sold it, the buyer was in it with me for a test drive and it was weaving. He told me to trim up and instantly it was going straight. Wish I'd known that earlier.

Give it a try, let me know how it goes, and good luck.

Hey baddog, do you think that it would be the same for a i/b? I have the same problem at slow speed, look like a drunk driver going through the channel in Nanaimo:D. I will try and thanks for the tip.
Mikiki

mikki and jimbob, something else to try is when your boats are out of the water, grasp the leg/ lower unit and jostle it side to side. There should be minimal slop. Your linkages etc... could be worn.

quote:Originally posted by Mikiki

Hey baddog, do you think that it would be the same for a i/b? I have the same problem at slow speed, look like a drunk driver going through the channel in Nanaimo:D. I will try and thanks for the tip.
Mikiki

Many inboards and inboard/outboards wander at low speeds due to high propeller side torque, and there is little (if anything) you can do about that.

That's my outfit Baddogg[^] I'll try your suggestion in the spring when I put'er back in the water, if I remember[:I]

Tom

I have a 150 Yamaha and had the same issues at high speeds. If I took my hands off the wheel it would make a hard turn, very dangerous. No matter what I did or adjusted I couldn't cure the problem. I finally bought and installed Bay Star hydraulic steering. It's wonderful. I can let go of the wheel at high speed and it just tracks perfectly straight. I know hydraulic steering isn't cheap but I was tired of arm wrestling my steering wheel every time. It's been a great investment.

We just went thru the same issue on a crew boat with a new 70hp 4 stroke we bought. It would do a u-turn in seconds if you let go of the wheel.
The guys at the shop where we bought it told me to turn the fin on the cavitation plate in the direction the boat pulls.(I know it doesn't sound right), but it fixed our steering.
good luck!!!!

quote:Originally posted by salmonkiller01

(I know it doesn't sound right), but it fixed our steering.
good luck!!!!

Gotta think of it this way salmonkiller, if a boat with an outboard motor wants to turn right, the o/b's tiller handle must be deflected to the right to eliminate the tendency for a right turn. Adjusting the trim fin in the direction the boat wants to turn, to the right in this example, will cause the tiller handle to deflect to the right, just what is needed.
So, always adjust the trim fin in the direction the boat wants to turn. Also, if you rifle shoots low, raise the rear site (just thought I'd throw that in :D:D)

Clear as mud? :D

Tom

Back