2005 Yamaha F225

Cabezon1

Always a buyer, first time seller.

Recently re powered with a new Yamaha F300 so up for sale is a 2005 F225 with 1644 hours plus a sea star outboard motor steering cylinder.

First the good, it is a perfectly fine motor that fires up each and every time. Runs perfectly except at low idle speed when the overheat alarm comes on.
The bad, diagnosis as having mid section corrosion issues that is very common with Yamaha of this series. Mechanic suggested it can be fixed if you replace the corroded area with a kit that Yamaha sells for around 1600$.
The ugly, cavitation plate on the lower unit is damaged but issues can be mitigated with a hydrofoil.

This is a very good motor that should have lots of life left if the corrosion issue is fixed. Alternatively, it can be a parts motor that still has all the required parts, including two new thermostat installed this past summer.

Am I out to lunch asking $2500 for this motor plus a used sea-star outboard motor steering cylinder?

Located in Vancouver.0BE7FBBE-72BA-4188-BBB6-DB6592DA589B.jpeg

As a reference, Sherwood Marine gave me $5oo on trade for my 2003 F225 back in 2019. It had 700 hours, rust in the block by the thermostat,no steering but it had the exhaust kit done. Their logic was there are thousands of F225/F250’s from the 2000’s coming in on trade and demand was low. I think they just part them out. I had no place to store it and gave it to them.

As a reference, Sherwood Marine gave me $5oo on trade for my 2003 F225 back in 2019. It had 700 hours, rust in the block by the thermostat,no steering but it had the exhaust kit done. Their logic was there are thousands of F225/F250’s from the 2000’s coming in on trade and demand was low. I think they just part them out. I had no place to store it and gave it to them.
Thank you for the reference. Will keep that in mind if any offers comes my way. After the exhaust kit and still only $500 for a 700 hours motor ? Ouch. Hopefully post Covid market plus the steering will help it be more appealing. Thanks again.

its risky buying one that needs the kit. you won't know if the block is also bad until you take it apart. might be better to do the exhaust and ask for more. or sell it as a running parts motor and sell steering seperate

Does anyone have any idea on the cost of the labour to replace that mid section exhaust issue? You may want to include that cost to prospective buyers when selling the motor. I have pulled my own powerheads on some of my outboards but this may a little more tricky. Still might be a good deal considering the price of new outboards. On another note, I’m starting to see more rebuilt/refurbished older trucks and broncos on the road that look great, another indication about the ridiculous cost of new vehicles allowing people to rebuild the older trucks And still save tens of thousands of dollars.

Does anyone have any idea on the cost of the labour to replace that mid section exhaust issue? You may want to include that cost to prospective buyers when selling the motor. I have pulled my own powerheads on some of my outboards but this may a little more tricky. Still might be a good deal considering the price of new outboards. On another note, I’m starting to see more rebuilt/refurbished older trucks and broncos on the road that look great, another indication about the ridiculous cost of new vehicles allowing people to rebuild the older trucks And still save tens of thousands of dollars.

I believe it was a 8 - 9 hour job (per motor) when I had the midsection replaced on my previous F250's.

2014 I paid SG Power $2800 for the kit and labour On my 03 F225.

I was thinking about this today, why not just list it at $4000 and see what the interest is like. if it runs and doesn't overheat (yet) with the corrosion issue then someone will likely run it until they have to repair it. worst case you reconsider getting exhaust installed later on

Thanks for all the great advices and suggestions. Lots of things to consider. First and foremost don’t want to be accused of selling junk thus I tried to be as honest as possible. The engine does overheat at idle but still runs and has all the parts. Perhaps just sell as a running parts engine for a lower price? Motor and steering cylinder for $1700.

Back