Course up or N up. Chart Orientation.

Thanks AA, So glad to read someone refer to them as Charts and not maps. I know its just semantics, but I am a stickler for correct terminology ;-)
Absolutely but what we had here was a discussion of course up or north up and some examples given were aviation in nature where we use air to mud maps(topo's) and air nav charts and then of course we have marine charts. They are definitely not the same and one should be very specific about which type you are referring to as they give a very different view and information about an area. For example an air chart is just about totally useless to a mariner except it shows the outline of the coast and perhaps a few radio stations 'likewise for other various charts and maps. Specific uses for each type of map or chart. Marine charts are what we should be using in conjunction with our GPS and radars as one of the primary legal aids to navigation on the water.

Absolutely but what we had here was a discussion of course up or north up and some examples given were aviation in nature where we use air to mud maps(topo's) and air nav charts and then of course we have marine charts. They are definitely not the same and one should be very specific about which type you are referring to as they give a very different view and information about an area. For example an air chart is just about totally useless to a mariner except it shows the outline of the coast and perhaps a few radio stations 'likewise for other various charts and maps. Specific uses for each type of map or chart. Marine charts are what we should be using in conjunction with our GPS and radars as one of the primary legal aids to navigation on the water.
Good point SF. I guess if I was a true stickler for details I should have referred to them as hydrographic charts. heh heh heh

FYI: there are many video games that are North up, i.e., Pack Man. Just saying. lol

North Up is so arbitrary. Who decided that North should be at the top of maps?
Here's a view of Vancouver Island with West up. Much better if you ask me.
upload_2016-12-15_21-25-37.png

North Up is so arbitrary. Who decided that North should be at the top of maps?
Here's a view of Vancouver Island with West up. Much better if you ask me.
View attachment 30761

Wow, no wonder we have such a flakey image with the rest of the country. They already think we top our pizza's with magic Mushrooms. Now this. I think I'm having a bad trip, man.

Wow, no wonder we have such a flakey image with the rest of the country. They already think we top our pizza's with magic Mushrooms. Now this. I think I'm having a bad trip, man.

I think it was meant in jest.... like my post. It's winter and a good time to have some fun and keep it friendly. It's been a rough year for social media and I for one would like things to get better.

Back