Course up or N up. Chart Orientation.

The truth is, that the only reason that it's an option on the modern GPS plotters is to keep us confused about the real shape of the earth. Its' a conspiracy perpetrated by the "Man"..... wake up sheeple....

What do guys mean when they say their plotter jumps around all the time in course up? My plotter does not jump all over in course up.

What do guys mean when they say their plotter jumps around all the time in course up? My plotter does not jump all over in course up.

I have a low budget chartplotter that isn't too bad. My buddy has a high end big screen that seems to correct it's position many more times per second than mine does. So in on his boat while trolling in a big swell, the trails, waypoints, and depth contours on the screen jump around a lot as the boat bounces, making it irritating to even look at the screen if it's set to course up.

I have a low budget chartplotter that isn't too bad. My buddy has a high end big screen that seems to correct it's position many more times per second than mine does. So in on his boat while trolling in a big swell, the trails, waypoints, and depth contours on the screen jump around a lot as the boat bounces, making it irritating to even look at the screen if it's set to course up.
Hmmm, there must be a sensitivity setting or something, that would be very irritating.

I think some units with radar have a compass for the radar so that it can be used in a N up configuration. This device could be used to stabilize a course up screen while trolling. Maybe this is why mine is somewhat stable while trolling but I do use a trial which I think would help individual stay oriented.

Course up as i want to see the shore AS it is not trying to figure out where north is, most flatlanders like north up so its like a grid (seems only way they can get around) LOL
on the water i dont care where north up is i can look at compass for that ...
I almost ran boat up on rock in fog with north up as it shows opposite where hazards are. but it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with close to 40 yr on water i have evolved from loran C to radar and now GPS ill stick to course up way easier

I think some units with radar have a compass for the radar so that it can be used in a N up configuration. This device could be used to stabilize a course up screen while trolling. Maybe this is why mine is somewhat stable while trolling but I do use a trial which I think would help individual stay oriented.

most gps need a independent heading sensor in order to be "stable" in heads up or course up at slower speeds.

As someone who was schooled in North up and charts , It took me a while to fully "get" course up . I am all on board and think it is a better way (for me) to run a boat at speed in limited visibility or at night. You can quickly jive your gps with your radar image and it leads to less confusion with other crew. Ultimately it is all about keeping safe and alive.

beemer

Last edited:
What Beemer said.Without a heading sensor the chart spins at slow speed.I also leave a 1 mile heading line so that I take the straightest line to where I want to go without setting a GOTO waypoint every time.I do this a lot when jigging and drifting on the bank.

North up for me. It feels more natural just like looking at a map. I want to know where I am geographically at all times. I don't necessarily need to know the coordinates but I want to know if I am N,E,S, or W of land, structure etc. I'm not too concerned about which way the cursor is pointing. It used to drive me crazy when my wife would keep turning the map when we were on road trips. But hey each to their own.

I'm also North up. The map jumps around way too much for me if it's course up. I try to always know where North is, or at least have a sense where it is. I have no trouble translating which direction to turn if I'm heading towards the bottom Right corner of my map in North up, and there's an obstruction/reef or whatever ahead.
My son (who uses the boat all the time) has also learnt on North up, and he doesn't even know Course up exists!! I hope he doesn't find out about it.

I use course up all the time while running. My boat is doing 32 mph at cruise. It is not doing 7 knots in tow. I have never had a problem with "bouncing" GPS signals at that speed. I think there is a positive for boaters like myself using the current systems as they are intended to be used. It is safer for them at speed to be course up while navigating rocks or narrow passages at said speed. You can not argue that. You are more familiar with your surroundings as well. I do not compare it to a video game. I compare it being right there and right now.

I get the whole North up thing and might even start using it more after reading this thread (I already do sometimes). I always look at my compass while fishing offshore on the way out and the way in. It is a no brainer for getting to the grounds and getting back to shore. I still look at my printed maps a few times a year but mostly rely on my electronic unit. This is where I think the old salty dogs have merit. When sh*te hit's the fan they have a better idea of where they are. This is amplified if one is in a new area like others have posted.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky in that my gps also doesn't seem to bounce. (using furuno) To get into some tight anchorages it can be a virtual maze of rocks and underwater structure that fortunately in most cases are charted. I can't imagine trying to use North up in a situation like that where if you are off by a few feet here or there it could mean grounding the boat or outdrives. Course up just seems so much more accurate (to me anyways) and one less thing to try to keep the mind focused on when having to use the twins to "tank track" around a bunch of obstacles, etc...while keeping watch of the depth and quite often at night with limited visibility...

Last edited:
My GPS swings around when the tide is almost the same as trolling speed. Your course over ground can sometimes be the same as where your bow is pointed, or totally the opposite direction. Not sure how any other unit wouldn't do this in similar conditions when set to course up?

Most Pros use North up. Fact. For reasons already mentioned. However that's on vessels with gyro or satelite compasses, charts (although they are going the way of the dodo thanks to ECDIS), formal marine training ect.
I totally get why one would want to run with radar and charts in heads up mode because it makes them feel more comfortable, and really that's all that matters in your own boat.
Again, I would caution one in the use of course up vrs heads up due to the possibility of misleading information in tidal or weather conditions. (As fisherman Rob and others have mentioned). Heads up with a course made good vector line will provide better information that is easier to act upon.

Last edited:
Wonder if that "pro" tug operator was using N up when he hit that reef up on the west side that took forever to re lift up.... been running course up for almost 40 years and i havent hit a reef or land yet ..............................
if your not used to something nothing is going to work

Wonder if that "pro" tug operator was using N up when he hit that reef up on the west side that took forever to re lift up.... been running course up for almost 40 years and i havent hit a reef or land yet ..............................
if your not used to something nothing is going to work
Nothing will work if you fall asleep!

I use course up all the time while running. My boat is doing 32 mph at cruise. It is not doing 7 knots in tow. I have never had a problem with "bouncing" GPS signals at that speed. I think there is a positive for boaters like myself using the current systems as they are intended to be used. It is safer for them at speed to be course up while navigating rocks or narrow passages at said speed. You can not argue that. You are more familiar with your surroundings as well. I do not compare it to a video game. I compare it being right there and right now.

I get the whole North up thing and might even start using it more after reading this thread (I already do sometimes). I always look at my compass while fishing offshore on the way out and the way in. It is a no brainer for getting to the grounds and getting back to shore. I still look at my printed maps a few times a year but mostly rely on my electronic unit. This is where I think the old salty dogs have merit. When sh*te hit's the fan they have a better idea of where they are. This is amplified if one is in a new area like others have posted.

I use the course up all the time. There are no issues when running at speed, it works great. The problems start when going slow, especially against the current. I will zoom out the chart plotter if trolling in the fog and steer mostly by compass heading, keeping in mind my plotter trail and general position on the chartplotter. I have got used to operating this way and it works for me. I am pretty sure most of my fishing partners are also used to Course Up navigating so I don't expect to switch to North Up.

...Rob

Some of you guys remind me of my wife, who would be madly turning the map around in the passenger seat of the truck trying to figure out where we were going.

When doing shift work on a boat, you come on shift, the plotter is always north up and you look at the compass. Done.

I think it really comes down to learning on charts or a 'modern' chart plotter.
I do not believe that chart plotters are intended to be used course up, it is a feature allowed by computers.

Back