Cooler recommendation

Connor D

I have a 19' boat and will be doing a 3 day fishing trip in September.. what cooler do you guys recommended that will keep things cold for that long but not be a $600 cooler? What size?

If they're in stock anywhere, Costco carries a 65l Lifetime that performs about on par with the Yetis etc, but sells for under 200 taxes and all.

2021-05-04 14.59.28.jpg

PXL_20210729_165133512.jpg

PXL_20210802_221247096.jpg

I put two blocks and one crush in there, and all our food for 5 days at the cabin over BC Day weekend, 30+ every day, all day, plus full sun on the boat both ways (cabin is on an island).

After I emptied it at home, still 5lbs of ice.

Made in the USA... which I don't specifically look for, but better than made in china.

I think I paid $160 at the Nanaimo Costco.

I have a 19' boat and will be doing a 3 day fishing trip in September.. what cooler do you guys recommended that will keep things cold for that long but not be a $600 cooler? What size?
Are ya keeping beers cold or fish cold? Boat layout dictates what size will
Work beat. Something around 120qt is max for me on a DE185. I’ll chuck another one up in the cuddy area as well as use a kill bag if necessary. Igloos work well. Expect something around $200. If you’re on land, then get a big one around 150qt. Salmon in one, bottom fish in another.

I use a 140

I use a 100 quart Coleman which is big enough for food and ice, and several fish - cleaned but not cut up. I've had the same one for 30+ years - for 12 years in a 16' boat, and the last 20 in 23', where it sits on top of the engine cover [pictured here at Esperanza, with the bait cooler in front]. Much smaller and you won't fit a whole salmon. Retails for about $200 at Steveston Marine, maybe less if you shop around.

Attachments

• 20200921_175749.jpg
    20200921_175749.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 95
Are ya keeping beers cold or fish cold? Boat layout dictates what size will
Work beat. Something around 120qt is max for me on a DE185. I’ll chuck another one up in the cuddy area as well as use a kill bag if necessary. Igloos work well. Expect something around $200. If you’re on land, then get a big one around 150qt. Salmon in one, bottom fish in another.

I use a 140
I was thinking about a 120qt one as well.. I think 60 would be a bit small @cracked_ribs ?

I was thinking about a 120qt one as well.. I think 60 would be a bit small @cracked_ribs ?
Really depends on whether it's fish and all, or just food and drink, I think.

If it's got to hold 3 days of successful fishing, yeah, no way is 65 enough.

If it's 3 days of me fishing, could be fine. But I'd still want a much bigger cooler.

I have a fish hold on my boat so I often forget that side of things.

Was in Costco in Langford on Wednesday and they had Coleman large coolers. Didn't look at price, but did look at the coolers and if I needed another one I would of bought one. They were actually better them the 2 that I have which were also from Costco

For the price point, durability and effectiveness you can’t beat the 120 qt Coleman Extreme Marine coolers sold at CT. May not help you now but they come on sale about twice a year and you can get a heck of a buy on them. They regularly sell for around $190 but often go on sale for around $140.

Does anyone know the performance difference between the extreme marine and just the marine cooler?

I believe it’s just in some of the hardware. Hinge, handles. If you look at the rating on them they are the same. The Extreme are built a little more durable. I own 3 of them and I really like them.

Back