Seadoo FishPro

i think jigging with awesome electronics would be so kick butt on a small platform like this
I'm thinking the same thing. How are they for fuel consumption? If they are decent-they can find the bait quickly and cheaply and you don't have any clumsy downriggers to carry and operate. New jigging outfits are so light it's almost a no brainer!

Morn'in gents,
I usually use a large spin casting set up with a bunch of 2 or 3 oz jigs, feels like you're casting 100 yards with braided line ha ha. I'll cast out let the jig drop/flutter through the bait.

Kill the engine listen to tunes and throw a bunch of casts. If it's not happening rip to the next spot (honestly cruising between spots is just as fun as fishing). Been fishing Barkley for a long time so I have lots spots in memory and marked on the plotter.

On slack tide, a glow lead-head hook and white scented power grub is how I caught the hali, open the bail let it drop to bottom and jig. Beauty of braided line lets you cover a lot of bases with one set up.

Rod/Reel of choice:
PENN Pursuit IV 9' Medium-Heavy the reel it comes with holds 300+ yards of 50Lbs braid
Relatively cheap compared to the outfit I troll with on our boat Loomis/Islander MR2

The fuel tank is large 18.5 gallons pretty much impossible to kill a tank in one day especially if you are fishing lots. They also have engine modes from Sport, Eco, Troll etc so if you wanted to conserve fuel they'll go a long ways.

I recommend a lithium Ion jump kit, the engine management system will shut down the 12v power if the battery gets to low so it will always start but I don't rely on it. Never had to jump it but always prepared if I had to.

Last edited:
Morn'in gents,
I usually use a large spin casting set up with a bunch of 2 or 3 oz jigs, feels like you're casting 100 yards with braided line ha ha. I'll cast out let the jig drop/flutter through the bait.

Kill the engine listen to tunes and throw a bunch of casts. If it's not happening rip to the next spot (honestly cruising between spots is just as fun as fishing). Been fishing Barkley for a long time so I have lots spots in memory and marked on the plotter.

On slack tide, a glow lead-head hook and white scented power grub is how I caught the hali, open the bail let it drop to bottom and jig. Beauty of braided line lets you cover a lot of bases with one set up.

Rod/Reel of choice:
PENN Pursuit IV 9' Medium-Heavy the reel it comes with holds 300+ yards of 50Lbs braid
Relatively cheap compared to the outfit I troll with on our boat Loomis/Islander MR2

You live in Alberni?
Hook up with with son ... @Rated-R

Morn'in gents,

Rod/Reel of choice:
Be careful you don’t run it out of battery. Only a few minutes of running the sounder and stereo can bring it down enough to not start, I carry booster pack for this reason.

B6F78784-A07B-41DB-8130-9B150F13BB8A.jpeg
Not shown in pic but ours now have coolers and rod holders gear boxes etc, portable finder/aux battery , these aren’t the Fishpro series but you can deck them out pretty much the same and will do the same thing at 1/2 the price if you shop around , 215HP closed loop cooled….great on fuel , gets you in the skinny water if need be, tons of fun…..will find a pic with the upgrades and post…..

What are you guys running for aux batteries? Wiring them into the skis or keeping them separate ?

View attachment 87715
Not shown in pic but ours now have coolers and rod holders gear boxes etc, portable finder/aux battery , these aren’t the Fishpro series but you can deck them out pretty much the same and will do the same thing at 1/2 the price if you shop around , 215HP closed loop cooled….great on fuel , gets you in the skinny water if need be, tons of fun…..will find a pic with the upgrades and post…..
Looks sweet! 215hp they must rip I find ours pretty quick with 170hp!

What are you guys running for aux batteries? Wiring them into the skis or keeping them separate ?
I followed a build on you-tube, formed & tig welded a holder that mounts the AGM battery under the back deck. Wired in parallel to increase capacity. We also make sure to have the lithium Ion jump kit charged up and stowed on board.

Because I'm spin casting with the engine off, sounder/plotter and tunes on I'm always watching the voltage display on the sounder. No issues yet but prepared if there ever is.

The battery doesn't have a chance to get drained, I have ADD and don't stay in one spot long enough ha ha

This was my last trip out to Barkley this year before I put the machine away. 2021 gtx230 with the fish pro cooler and lowrance hds7

Gets me from port alberni to bamfield in about 20-25 minutes. Round trip fishing all day burnt about 70-90L depending.

Attachments

• 0FA0F290-6583-48CA-A89D-D5D2050F5434.jpeg
    0FA0F290-6583-48CA-A89D-D5D2050F5434.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 82
  • B5AD134D-B402-411F-9900-847B71D7728E.jpeg
    B5AD134D-B402-411F-9900-847B71D7728E.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DCCE9687-DC75-4AC4-BC66-B5490A613C1B.jpeg
    DCCE9687-DC75-4AC4-BC66-B5490A613C1B.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 81
This was my last trip out to Barkley this year before I put the machine away. 2021 gtx230 with the fish pro cooler and lowrance hds7

Gets me from port alberni to bamfield in about 20-25 minutes. Round trip fishing all day burnt about 70-90L depending.
Right on looks like McKay Bay Lodge! How did you make out, lots of pockets to fish out of lump in Barkley.

Ucluelet Fishing has been pretty decent,
Looking forward to getting the Seadoo FishPro out, lots of casting hopefully another hali and really keen to try cut-plugging tight to the kelp beds. I've never been super stoked on trolling off this thing (got a boat for that with DR's etc..) but if cut plugging works out, an electric trolling motor mod is next.

Already have the 100Ah lithium ion battery and Minn Kota RipTide motor, fabbing a bracket up shouldn't be super hard. The whole point of this vessel for me was the ability to rip when necessary or bored, it has to be a robust mounting system to keep the motor secure while jumping swell and no ill effects on hull performance like porpoising etc

I'll be using the search function and diving into any "cut plug" archives!!

Back