How cold is too cold?

Clint r

Got a friends boat being dropped off to do a little work. That means I need to move mine out of the way. The thing is it’s -13 now and I’m leery of using tilt trim on my outboard when it’s this cold and after such an extended cold snap. Motors been stored in the down position since just before new years and even though it’s -13 here now it was as low as -32. Anybody know if that’s too cold to lift it? Won’t be any problems with seals, pump etc? I don’t want to risk it if there a chance something will give and cause an issue where I have none now.

electric motors shouldnt have a problem with the cold. your rubber seals might but in general it will likely be ok.
i would press the seals lightly and see if they are still flexible. if they feel stiff best not to try. depends on your risk level. if you dont HAVE to do it i would let it sit. i took my ebike out yesterday and it worked fine. will take it out again today.

I wouldn’t worry too much it’s only lifting it’s own weight not under load trim while running
Most logging equipment will blow seals when going straight to work and not while articulating it’s own weight to warm oil up so I think it would be fine

Back