Carburetor leaking

slaydown

I posted in a previous thread about looking for a replacement 50hp. The issue that pushed that was when I primed my outboard fuel was leaking out from behind the carburetor and the ball was not getting hard. On my previous trip the motor ran awesome at both idle and open throttle. Well after trying to start you could tell it was flooded and after a couple tries it fired up and has ran now for the last 5 days with zero issues. I did a little research and it looks like a needle valve was stuck. I did a full carb rebuild about 4 yrs ago, but do I really need to do another so soon? Or was this just a one off. I always run it dry on my last day out so I'm hoping some how the valve got a little stuck from that and now it's fine. Any input is appreciated. If I need to do another rebuild that would suck right now but I can fit it in before my bamfield trip. As of right now there is no leaking and its running awesome. Thanks
Ps, finding a new 50hp is insane right now. And most shops are 3-6 weeks out for any work.

I wouldn't worry too much. My dirtbike does that. Tap the carb and the float needle un sticks. My lawn mower too. Lol.
If you use the motor monthly I wouldn't run it dry. No lube inside anymore and could part of the problem.

As you run the carburetors dry, the float will be near the bottom of the float bowl and the needle will be off its seat. When you pump the bulb fuel will flow into the carburetor until it floats high enough to raise the float and push the needle into the seat, effectivly sealing off the flow of fuel. There is usually a little pin that the float and needle rotate on. most likely a bit of gas and or oil if it is a premix 2 stroke dried out and temporarily kept the needle frozen. once the new gas dissolved the material causing the float to stick in the open position it worked fine. You will be good now.

Back