Candied Salmon

Done & Cooling Down to be vac sealed:

wHSdINZ.jpg

The original Gummy Bear Style...

A good Buddy called a short spell ago, wondering if he could talk me into running off a batch of salmon candy.
Tried to get him to go with the Cranberry Sweet Thia version, but NOPE!
HAS to be the maple-honey "Gummy Bear" stuff.
Damn!
Long process, expensive, and been just long enough since I made it I said... SURE... why not...

So, as the original post of this version has long since gone the way of the Dodo, I figured I'd run it up for anyone interested once again...

In this case we actually went with a mix of coho, red and white springs.
All caught offshore, vac sealed and flash frozen...

Thawed the frozen salmon just enough to cut. Works a tad better to make what we're looking for when there are still ice crystals through it. Ripped the hides, pulled all the bones, and cut into strips.

The brine was made the same morning, and given a spell to blend while we were cutting..

Brine:

1 gallon of water
1/2 cup of coarse salt
4 Kg's of Demerra Sugar
4 cups of real maple syrup
4 Kg's of pure honey (melted)
1/2 cup lemon juice

Place the strips into the brine and let it do it's thing.
Occasionally stir gently.

vUxjLPR.jpg

The strips can sit in brine as little as 24 hours, but double that is better when you can keep it cold.

Prep the grills with a GOOD shot of BarBee Pam, and set them up on your drying table.
Do NOT rinse the salmon strips when they come out of the brine.

Lay each strip out on the grill such that they don't touch each other (or they WILL glue to each other).

ap5b2BA.jpg

Set the loaded grills up under your fans, keep the air temp chilly, and dry them puppies out some...

9OIvyuX.jpg

In this particular case, with the relative humidity right up there and temperatures on the chilly side, we ran the fans for 48 hours before being happy with their progress. Can take a fair bit shorter when the conditions are different. What you are looking for is the translucent gummy bear look...

0i3Elu5.jpg

Now it's time for a visit to the preheated smoker.
Once the product hits, I like to keep it medium low for this kind of candy.
A combination of 50/50 Apple / Alder chips gives an almost "velvety" finish.

cocdTwa.jpg

QAl7Wd4.jpg

My big stainless smoker usually runs a full load of chips up at medium temperatures in three hours.

JLqMCla.jpg

I generally give it that first shot, then have a look to decide if it needs a little more. Again, cooler days meant just that. In all cases this time around, 6 hours was just about perfect. The strips shrink down a fair bit, but if you've done your job right, they are still translucent, and indeed have the texture of a Salmon Gummy Bear!

9nuz68R.jpg

Was right pleased the sun made an appearance to help highlight the show!

U5SAmZJ.jpg

To finish I suggest letting sit in a cool place for 24 hours in larger ziplocks or some type of container. That allows the product to "settle" and the consistency to become... well... consistent.

twuTL6h.jpg

Been a busy few days.
My taste buds Love me at this point, as does those of everyone who has tried it again...
My ever blossoming belly... well... not so much. :D

Cheers,
Nog
Hey Nog.

I’m going to pull my salmon out of the brine tomorrow. How long do you think I should air dry with a fan considering how warm it is these days. My pieces are similar size to your.

Thank you,
Scott

Hey Nog.

I’m going to pull my salmon out of the brine tomorrow. How long do you think I should air dry with a fan considering how warm it is these days. My pieces are similar size to your.

Thank you,
Scott

Sorry Man! I was off to the new job up in Quesnel when you asked that, and just returned last night.
Hope it turned out well!

Cheers,
Nog

Sorry Man! I was off to the new job up in Quesnel when you asked that, and just returned last night.
Hope it turned out well!

Cheers,
Nog
Thx Nog. Yep it turned out pretty good. About 10 hours dry time with two fans. I figured out half way through to put some shims under the trays to help get air flow underneath as well. That helped speed the the process. Can’t wait for July 15 to get some fresh chinook to smoke up.

Thx for the info on the thread.

Thx,
Scott

Not sure but I think Matt posted up that recipe years ago in FlyBC. It’s the only one I use. Nog, do you remember the inaugural SFBC halibut derby years ago where we held the after party at the Esquimalt Legion. If I remember, we were asked to leave because you kept putting your hat back on. Oh god that was fun, I think a few beers were involved…

Not sure but I think Matt posted up that recipe years ago in FlyBC. It’s the only one I use. Nog, do you remember the inaugural SFBC halibut derby years ago where we held the after party at the Esquimalt Legion. If I remember, we were asked to leave because you kept putting your hat back on. Oh god that was fun, I think a few beers were involved…

Yep, that recipe was indeed posted there many moons ago.

And hell yeah, I do remember (although just a tad hazy) the evnt you noted, and the fellow who kept insisting I remove my chapeau!

Fun Times Indeed!

Cheers,
Nog

My wife is away so a perfect time to Give this recipe a try.

A 21lb red and 13 lb white chinook. I grated a beet into the brine to add some colour to the white.
4D7A9193-8627-41D8-8D13-F3AEB77D5B73.jpeg

I couldn’t fit it all on my 8 trays. So put the balance on the fridge. Will have to do two batches.
A day later
847CEBBE-ECFB-4657-92C9-DC35B2C67475.jpeg
The lighter coloured trays came out of the fridge just now and will get smoked tomorrow with the thicker pieces I guess.

I can’t find pickling salt to save my life!
Read there is a strike in Eastern Canada at the Windsor plant. Even if you are not using that brand the people that were using that brand will be gobbling up the other brands to use instead.

Read there is a strike in Eastern Canada at the Windsor plant. Even if you are not using that brand the people that were using that brand will be gobbling up the other brands to use instead.

Yep. I've been running with coarse Pink Himalayan (no iodine) and it is working....

A 21lb red and 13 lb white chinook. I grated a beet into the brine to add some colour to the white.
View attachment 98576

I couldn’t fit it all on my 8 trays. So put the balance on the fridge. Will have to do two batches.
A day later
View attachment 98577
The lighter coloured trays came out of the fridge just now and will get smoked tomorrow with the thicker pieces I guess.
I'm gonna brine a batch of gummy bear and sweet Thai chili tonight and pull it out on Friday. I don't think I'll take over the bathtub and sink though LOL

View attachment 98576

A day later
View attachment 98577
That's a lot of great Spring salmon to smoke...especially the white spring
Don't know why you need to add color to the White or why you would not try a few different brines and smoke temp and times.
If I am not smoking to can, my favorite smoked Spring salmon is a hot smoke Use the brine of choice. I prefer a dry bring. Smoke for around 5 hours, internal temperature no higher than 135 -140 F.
Pinks are for candied, but everyone has their own preferences.

That's a lot of great Spring salmon to smoke...especially the white spring
Don't know why you need to add color to the White or why you would not try a few different brines and smoke temp and times.
If I am not smoking to can, my favorite smoked Spring salmon is a hot smoke Use the brine of choice. I prefer a dry bring. Smoke for around 5 hours, internal temperature no higher than 135 -140 F.
Pinks are for candied, but everyone has their own preferences.
Well…I am trying a new brine! I usually do it differently.

I thought they were both whites when I did the brine. And I wanted to change their image with a little blush.
Wasn’t meaning to ruin your evening :)

I'm gonna brine a batch of gummy bear and sweet Thai chili tonight and pull it out on Friday. I don't think I'll take over the bathtub and sink though LOL
Yes. best to have a second bathroom or wait till your wife is away for a few days. :)
I did it in the basement 7-8 years ago and the dog ate quarter of it so had to change my M.O.

Well…I am trying a new brine! I usually do it differently.

I thought they were both whites when I did the brine. And I wanted to change their image with a little blush.
Wasn’t meaning to ruin your evening :)
lol why would you think you ruined my evening!!!
Everyone to his own taste.

Back