First time smoking salmon

Ok, hoping to make candied salmon, wanted to keep it simple first time so did it like this.
Froze the fillets (pinks) for a couple of weeks then thawed and removed pinbones. Cut the fish into chunks, .
Did a dry brine 4kg demerera sugar 1kg kosher salt.
Brined 24 hrs. Rinsed off chunks and hung on racks for about 18hrs. Smoked 6 hrs in my Big Chief using apple and alder.
Fish is ok and tasty enough but way more salty than sweet, in fact a little bit too salty.

What can I do better next time?

Thanks guys
Cut brine time down to overnight, try 10hrs and a 5 to 1 ratio.
The absorption time was too high, but as you said it was tasty enough.

On a side note, I find frozen fish are not as good smoked as fresh.
The frozen product has a softer flesh as compared to fresh smoked.

I disagree with that assessment.
When frozen, ice crystals form within the cells causing them to have micro ruptures.
This allows a deeper and more complete penetration of both brine and smoke.
Consistency is all in how you dry then smoke it.

Cheers,
Nog

When frozen, ice crystals form within the cells causing them to have micro ruptures.

Cheers,
Nog
It may do just that, however that process also changes the consistency of the flesh in my opinon.

It may do just that, however that process also changes the consistency of the flesh in my opinon.

I hear your thoughts, but still disagree.
The speed and duration of drying, then the temperature and duration of smoking is what determines consistency in my experience.
That being damn near 50 years at this point.

The few times I have smoked salmon fresh, it had an almost "rubbery" consistency and I could easily tell the brine & smoke were but surface oriented.
Pass

Cheers

Cheers,
Nog
I think people think this because of how they freeze it. When we do smoke we use frozen whole dressed fish. For example if I take a fillet that was vac packed and try and do lox with it, nope. No worky very goody. Try and do it with fresh and it doesn't work either. Dressed frozen whole, bingo.

When I freeze they are dressed, whole and vac sealed.
Every single time.

Cheers

It's all in how you dress the fish and for how long you plan on keeping it frozen. Leave the collar on a princess dress and there's absolutely no need for a vac job.

Side note is I'm going to try your method on a small batch this year. As far as rack them with fans only and then a one fire smoke. We basically do it the same except we have the fans going in the smoke house with a small fire the whole time, and pick them off as they are done. Except they come out with such a strong smoke flavor for my tastes. Everyone else likes it. Id rather have just a bit of smoke. Which is where I think how your method would really shine

Dry brine for me but I am going to try wet brine next time. Everyone loves candied fish
I like to vacuumed pack while still warm

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpeg
    IMG_3324.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 44
Back