Candied Salmon

Color & consistency changes were on track yesterday afternoon.
Hit it up with the rum glaze, and let the fans continue their magic:

cDk4IWo.jpg

Likely make the smoker late this afternoon or early tomorrow morning...

Cheers,
Nog

It was ready for the smoker early this morning. Dry to the touch, "rubbery" and translucent:

4ZPzsPQ.jpg

So loaded it up and brought it back to the Hacienda:

MI3shlY.jpg

Smoking a spell now, under rather low heat.

8SDrIpG.jpg

Be checking in on it soon...

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
Nog when you cut the salmon length ways do you leave the pin bones in or pull them after you air dry or cut them out That quite a load of candied salmon I also only use a Bradley and can only do 2 nice fish at a time

Our knives are RAZOR sharp. Helps in the processing.
And we do cut the pin bones out.
Having this huge custom smoker allows for seriously large runs as you can see.

Dropping the next load onto the screens.
Update on last run soon...

Cheers,
Nog

The smoke is simply the "finish".
The long brine ensures the salmon is cured right through.
The long run on the fans dumps a huge amount of moisture, and forms the pellicle.
When they hit the smoker, they are already dry to the touch, and just a little "rubbery" inside.

I run the smoker at as close to 125 - 130 degrees that I can.
With all dampers wide open to keep airflow high.
Most runs that takes around 4 - 5 hours to produce what I am looking for.
This is closer to a cold smoke than hot.
The smoke simply adds flavor, and contributes some to the final consistency.

When it comes out of the smoker it should look translucent, with a hint of smoke around the edges, and be reasonably... well... gummy bear in consistency:

T4itP5f.jpg

IVpBVUd.jpg

Got the last of it that I could rescue from the Lady & the neighbors bagged & tagged today. Even though no sunshine it stills kind of glows.

xuyGiqy.jpg

This run is indeed one of the better ones we have pulled off.
Consistency is bang on, starts with a smokey flavor, then you get a hint of salmon, followed by a maple / rum finish.
No wonder I am jagged today!! LOL

As for being "too tired"? Nope...

9BoU19A.jpg

And on it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

First run is now complete, and bagged & tagged.
86 bags of average 8 strips a bag = 688 strips.

Next run under the fans now.
Spent the entire day converting the final run into strips and dumping it into the brine.

Tired, with a bit of a bulging belly! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
First run is now complete, and bagged & tagged.
86 bags of average 8 strips a bag = 866 strips.

Next run under the fans now.
Spent the entire day converting the final run into strips and dumping it into the brine.

Tired, with a bit of a bulging belly! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Is your total number of strips a little high or did you add in the ones that went into your belly??

Is your total number of strips a little high or did you add in the ones that went into your belly??

Dyslexic moment. 688 pieces... o_O

Don't rightfully know how many got chowed down on before the shrink wrap was complete...

Cheers,
Nog

Was in a rush to head off to the SawBones this morning.
Here's a little more detail as to why I apply the glaze when drying this particular product:

It more or less depends on the product you are aiming at.
In this case, the vast majority of the drying is done under the fans.
Yesterday, the outside of the strips was very close to being dry to the touch.
For the glaze to adhere the best, that is the time (for this particular recipe) to hit it with the glaze.
Ensures both a little penetration, and strong adherence to the product.

Smoking in this case is conducted via a cold smoke regime.
You really don't want the internal temperature of the smoker to climb much above 125 - 130 degrees F.
You are not "cooking" this product like is done with a hot smoke regime.
The "gummy bears" are already near dry enough to be considered "done".
All the smoke does is add a little flavor while finishing off just a smidge of further drying.

In the case of hot smoking, it is better IMO to add the glaze just prior to the final run of chips.

In both cases the glaze adds flavor, and "seals" the product up.

Cheers,
Nog

Last run of the season is finally in the smoker!!
300 pounds and change rendered down to less than half of that.
Pretty well happy with the results, but don't care to see any more salmon for a spell now... ;)

Cheers,
Nog - The Finished!

Matt, just did 30lbs of sockeye and endangered early Fraser white and red spring(jk).
2 days in the marinade. 2.5 days air dryer.
6hrs of low smoke. Light sprinkle of sea salt and cayenne pepper.
Absolutely amazing!
Cheers

@IronNoggin I finally am making your Indian candy. Mix of this years Coho and White spring. Decided on a smaller batch because I haven't fired up the smoker in over a year & need to have a trial run. The Coho were caught on your spoons so it seems fitting.

Thanks again for sharing & I cant wait to get it on the smoker. I will send pics of final results 20190726_123446.jpg

Hi Guy's Just wanted to post my experience with Nog's candy recipes. I tried his Gummy Bear recipe but found the final product too sweet. I have since made two batches of the sweet chilli cranberry candy and wow what a great product, even my fish hating kids ate it was so good. Here are some pictures of the process, I highly recommend the recipe. I divided all his ingredients by two and cut up two medium sized springs.

I left the fish in the brine for 48hours in the fridge.

View media item 689
Then I dried it for 48 hours with a fan on it. (Warning your family will complain about the smell of garlic in house) Before hanging and drying I did sprinkle some freshly cracked pepper on the second batch as I felt the first batch need some spice...
View media item 690
The I smoked it with alder for 6 hours, the first 3 hours with heat 130F the rest was cold.

View media item 688
Awesome Recipe Nog thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Just did up a batch over the last 3 days. Toned down the sweetness a little the first time. Went with 3 sugar, 3 honey and 1.5 maple syrup. Other than that followed the recipe and directions. I did cut my pieces a little thicker not a lot but some what, maybe 3/8” on average.

Turned out really great, like really good, can’t wait to share it with some friends and family, going to be great at celebrations with some cream cheese and crackers and mommas homemade jalapeño jelly.

Thanks Nog, this one is a winner.

Back