Canada Banning WD40, Brake Clean, etc.

WTF!!!
Edit: Did a quick search and didn't see this on any "reputable" outlets. Maybe it's just another Reddit BS? We will know in a couple of days.

Last edited:
The linked video title is misleading. Ottawa is tightening up on use of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Products that exceed the prescribed concentration either need to be reformulated, permitted under an exemption, or mitigated by a credit trading system with low VOC products. An exemption could be granted if shown that there is no possible reformulation that provides similar benefits. WD40 and brake cleaner will remain available but are likely to increase in price as the makers incur costs during the compliance process.

I’m sure a bunch of people thought the sky was falling when leaded gasoline, DDT, and asbestos were banned too. WD-40 and brake cleaner work fine in spray bottles. The perpetual victimhood of people being mildly inconvenienced by things that improve the quality of the environment and prevent pollution will never cease to get a chuckle from me. Clickbait titles like “Canada will BAN WD-40” tells me all I need to know about the intellectual honesty and quality of reporting there. If anyone wants to debate the science behind the regulations using well-sourced data, I’m more than willing to change my opinion based on new information.

I’m sure a bunch of people thought the sky was falling when leaded gasoline, DDT, and asbestos were banned too. WD-40 and brake cleaner work fine in spray bottles. The perpetual victimhood of people being mildly inconvenienced by things that improve the quality of the environment and prevent pollution will never cease to get a chuckle from me. Clickbait titles like “Canada will BAN WD-40” tells me all I need to know about the intellectual honesty and quality of reporting there. If anyone wants to debate the science behind the regulations using well-sourced data, I’m more than willing to change my opinion based on new information.
Don’t they need to get it down to 10 voc for them to be able to sell it? So it won’t be the same product. Some things need to be heavy duty to work. The primer we use at work has horrendous VOC’s, but it works. Enjoy your watered down brake clean. Just use 10x as much of it.

Don’t they need to get it down to 10 voc for them to be able to sell it? So it won’t be the same product. Some things need to be heavy duty to work. The primer we use at work has horrendous VOC’s, but it works. Enjoy your watered down brake clean. Just use 10x as much of it.
I agree thar higher VOC compounds work way better. I dearly miss my paint stripper that killed a bunch of idiots that used it in enclosed spaces. CFCs were banned as propellants in the 80’s, and manufacturers adapted and innovated. Remember the gaping hole in the ozone layer? Anyway, there are a lot of unnecessary VOCs in propellants for certain products. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but headlines like “WD-40 will be Banned” are pretty hilarious to me.

Silicon spray or pb blaster works better than WD40 depending on the application
Agreed. I rarely use wd40. I’m just upset about brakekleen. It’s so damn good lol

Actually a bunch of these aerosols like pb blaster might have to adjust their formula. Or go to non aerosol cans

Last edited:
I agree thar higher VOC compounds work way better. I dearly miss my paint stripper that killed a bunch of idiots that used it in enclosed spaces. CFCs were banned as propellants in the 80’s, and manufacturers adapted and innovated. Remember the gaping hole in the ozone layer? Anyway, there are a lot of unnecessary VOCs in propellants for certain products. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but headlines like “WD-40 will be Banned” are pretty hilarious to me.
That reminds me of my old school carb cleaner that needs to be in a sealed metal container and then tied in a sealed bag. No messing around with that stuff but it works so good compared to the new stuff. Obviously you can get an ultrasonic cleaner to clean carbs but I’ll stick to my old cleaner that works soooooo good

We aren’t debating the best lubricant Seth haha
Lol well I had to say somthing because I buy whatever the things the shop needs in bulk, and those 3 things I never buy. The CSC carb clean is pretty wicked **** though takes anything off of anything real quick. Probly causes cancer. Maybe I should polish my spoons with it lol

So I have to chime in.

For lube I only use Marvels Mystery Oil, buy it in 1 gallon can and put it in spray jugs so don’t need WD in aerosol anyways so don’t care. Comparing WD to mystery oil is like comparing a pink salmon to a chinook, it will do if thats all there is.

Extreme cleaner,, I always have Acetone on hand. Same thing buy it in 4 litre jug and keep it in spray jugs. Break cleaner is for town kids lol.

Back