Campbell River Reports 2012

Whats considered a large to extra large prawn. Just curious, most of the ones I got were good size not a one with eggs either!

Whats considered a large to extra large prawn. Just curious, most of the ones I got were good size not a one with eggs either!

Hey Fish Nutz....that's a good question. I was just talking to my neighbor, who commercial prawn fishes, and there are medium, large, jumbo, and extra-jumbo sizes of prawns. There are a very limited number of extra-jumbo and none of the various grades of prawns are berried. The prawns we kept were good size (I briefly, commercially fished for prawns many years ago) and we had no berried prawns either. But we purchased some prawns from Thrifty's Grocery Store that were huge, half again the size of the prawns-tails we got yesterday and fatter in width. Overall, our prawns were about seven inches long (head on), with some even longer.

I would guess that much like extra-large springs, there are prawns who are better at finding food or who eat more or maybe genetics play a factor as well, to contributing to bigger size prawns. But over-fishing an area does reduce the harvest size of the prawns, thus resulting in areas closing according to the spawner index surveys that governs the commercial sector (I read this in the commercial prawn management fishing plan).

Just curious, what do you guys consider to be a good haul of prawns in one net? I feel that 25 per trap is a good average, if I get 50 I'm doing really well.

Since SS2 has bailed on our plans to go out prawning tomorrow, I will be forced to head out with my 9 month old daughter in search of bugs.
I have been soaking my traps on the green can to francisco pt. line earlier this year with some success, but would appreciate a bit of constructive (!) advice on some sheltered areas around the twin islands that may be fertile ground for some traps tomorrow.
I do have room for at least another body or two aboard.

Gong Show

Since SS2 has bailed on our plans to go out prawning tomorrow, I will be forced to head out with my 9 month old daughter in search of bugs.

Gong Show

Might want to check the weather forecast as GAIL WARNING have been posted for tomorrow.

We have a sticky, thanks mods

I heard that the prawning is better, more in fransisco bay. From the green can to fransisco point we have done o.k, but nothing to brag about. Next trip I am gonna try fransico point heading north.

prawned twin isl and fransisco.. no prawns!!!!! must have been at a different depth .. i set mine at 300-400ft... going to try the 200- 250 ft next time..... didnt see any boats out there all day was incredible weather. saw orka at fransisco.....

I saw those 3 Sea rays, the guys from the Campbell river spit,
fishing the big rock face just above seperation head.
Would they be fishing Toba and Bute Springs there?

Kinghorn island, just a little east of Twin Islands is a much better place for prawns. It is one of the first places the commerical boats hit, in that area.....350 ' deep .........BB

Speaking of the commercial boats, when does the commercial season start in Area 13? May 1st or is it later? Tx.

No kidding on the wind warning. We stayed ashore, fo sho.
I went up around Owen Bay and bagged a good number of plump prawns at Surge.
Looking to get out local this week when the weather and free time converge.
Thanks for the pointers.

GS

First post and first time prawning in my life. Dropped 2 traps to the bottom east of Twin Islands and successfully recovered 8 plump prawns. Not a stellar haul but that is enough to keep me interested. One and a half years on the island and everyday gets better.
The water was perfectly flat.

Hey foow!!
Welcome to the forum.
Good on ya for getting out there.
I did not to prawn today.
Funny thing, i was to get out today and prawn twin isl, my partner bailed on me at the last minute so it was a no go for me.
Thanks for posting!

Just got back from last bug trip of the year. Some traps good, others not so much! Inconsistent pretty much sums it up. Persistence pays off and we won't go without. But it seems harder to find good numbers every year. Prawns better run and hide pretty quick as the big boys are just about set to go exterminate the whole race.

Back