Campbell River Reports 2012

I agree Sculpin... It is certainly better than most would think. There's also the salty dogs in October, which honestly everyone should try. Some of the funnest action you could imagine :D

Why don't you post up something positive for a change? When was you last fishing trip to CR and how did you do?

Everything I have read for that last few years's indicates that CR is coming back. There is GOOD fishing to be had there.

Ease up dude. I'm sorry if I offended you. What I posted was meant as ribbing, not full on crapping on the place. I do live there eh.

I also lived here when they got that title, but that was so long ago that electric downriggers where illegal for sporties. Now, I fish CR at least a dozen times a year and It is always slow. I posted my catch last time I got something of any consequence there.

Take it easy, its just the internet.

I have to agree with Chris on this one, i mean lets call a spade a spade. Im actually hard pressed to waste my time and gas even launching here. Id rather spend the extra time and money and go see some real fishing on the west side. I think a person gets spoiled over there, however the fall fishery here can be good.

I do both and enjoy each one West Coast or locally each have there goods and bads. I must admit locally the past 4 or 5 yrs its definately getting better. Until the Seiners show up then it slows down.

I'm actually quite happy scratching up a couple. I don't need sore arms at the end of every day on the water. I fish the salt for food, and too many WCVI trips means my season's over too early. A couple epic trips per season and I'm happy to keep working the local waters. But fishing around here is far from dead.

It is what it is! The cost of ferries to the Island covers a lot of gas. Don't have much of a problem filling the freezer with salmon. BUT travel is involved to put a hali in the freezer. Can't wait for my one shot to drag one up from the depths. Hey and yellow eye's are pretty tastey too.

Twin was a disappointment last weekend, fortunately I found the greener pasture as well. 3 sets 24 Prawns at Twin, filled my limit elsewhere.

Twin was a disappointment last weekend, fortunately I found the greener pasture as well. 3 sets 24 Prawns at Twin, filled my limit elsewhere.

Hey SeaWolf, that is what happens when the Striper Sniper isn't there....................

SS

Funny, I thought the same thing when pulling the traps and then later when going by Cape Mudge.

Got my first spring this year, nice 10lber!! Me and my daughter out for the afternoon tide change. 180' at the hump on a hootchy. Saw a few others caught too.

Was out prawning at fransico. (Not many.)
Fished the hump and not a sniff not many boats around .
Got blown off the water around 4ish.
Btw----anybody know whats with the hazard in the channel at pacific playground?
so dangerous on a low tide...

Btw----anybody know whats with the hazard in the channel at pacific playground?
so dangerous on a low tide...

Spoke to a gal up at Salmon Point and she said their channel has filled up from the winter storms.
Could be the same thing for Pacific Playgrounds.
Salmon Point should have a dredge in there early May, as for now I'm thinking 7ft and keep to the left when leaving.
GLG

We went camping this weekend. Tried our hand at prawning only to discover the same 2 guys from the fish farms across the bay, still had their traps out as they did 2 months ago. This spot is cleaned out of anything larger than a medium size prawn. Hopefully these 2.... individuals will realize they are killing off this spot and give it a break for a few months!!! They pull the traps twice a day and are moving the traps looking for larger prawns, but there won't even be any spawners for this year, if they don't give the area a break.

Can't hammer a spot every day without damaging the local stocks. Last year and previous year this spot would produce a 2 person daily, limit every 2-3 months for us. But it is all but dead for the foreseeable future.

We made a long run in behind Quadra Isle and found another area to try. Got lucky let the traps soak a couple of hours and came home with just over 1 person daily limit. These prawns were all large/x-larger size, but a couple fellas came along and set almost right on top of my last trap. I think that is called "corking", I don't mind sharing, but as the inlet is 2 miles long perhaps they could of at least set 100-200 metres away?

Back