campbell river reoprts??

There's massive herring balls out there right now, they were gorging on them.

I noted that too. So thick that they were at all depths, and there was huge fish of some sort also feeding right on the surface.. Motoring home, I felt like I had to avoid fish or sharks or whatever they were right on the surface... I know it wasn't seals, nor dolphins, nor whales.. Odd out there right now, but in an awesome way~!

great fish!!

...."there was huge fish of some sort also feeding right on the surface."

FishBC - those are small porpoise we get them all the time. They look really dark have small little fins and they just show their back briefly before they dive again. They never really seem in a hurry and there is usually several in the same area of each other.

Generally all you see of them looks like this...

harbour_porpoise_800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that the Village and Cape Mudge area is closed, I was thinking of launching at Salmon Point Marina and fishing in that area and up at the 'The Hump'. Does anyone know what they charge to launch and park, also how far is it to the hump from there? Never fished that area before and it's supposed to be nice on Sunday

Boat launch is $10 and its a 15-25 minute run to the hump on average. Or you could troll the whole way there, my old neighbour would regularly catch springs along the 200ft ledge in front there.

Now that the Village and Cape Mudge area is closed, I was thinking of launching at Salmon Point Marina and fishing in that area and up at the 'The Hump'. Does anyone know what they charge to launch and park, also how far is it to the hump from there? Never fished that area before and it's supposed to be nice on Sunday

I have always launched at pacific playgrounds, right next door. Beware of low tides there..can be tricky to get out of the marina. I have never launched at salmon pt. but would like to hear a comparison of both? It is 10$ at PP to launch and park.

Salmon Point is great place to go and launch boat. Lots of space to tie up once boat of trailer, even have gas right their by the ramp. Good fish cleaning station and scale and hose etc. One thing I like their is they have area which has hard surface to wash down your boat that’s great to wash down your gear right away. And the ramp is not as steep as Pacific Playgrounds ramp. At low tide you don’t have the long narrow channel to navigate back to get inside the breakwater. I belive its about 5 miles from Salmon Point to CR Hump, and about 7 mile to Pacific Playgrounds the. Ya first time at Pacfic with a friend we came back at a low tide and that was lots of fun, one point engine all the way up and we paddled in, but we wanted to get back thats my spin on it.

Based on what I've been able to glean, the CR hump and Kitty hump fisheries appear to be slack tide opportunities primarily. Am I on the right track? Monday looks like a great day to be out there.

Frankly either tide has been good both areas.. I've fished every tide for 5 of the last 7 days on both CR hump and kitty hump, and the slack is not when I caught fish. first two, and last two hours of each tide seems the best. Kitty hump's a bit slow, but I noted the boats were all at shelter point today covering alot of ground.. Looking for fish I bet. Stinks that they close the village, quadra hump. It was on fire a few days ago.

Just talked to my neighbour here (visiting Albertans) and he got a 23 something off Discovery Pier this morning and his pal got a 27 yesterday, same place and time.
I'm watching the Tyee Pool closely but no signs of anything there as yet.
Should any of you wish to spend an evening in a Tyee rowboat I have a new one that needs some rodholders.
Wait a week or so then contact me and you're welcome to ride along and fish if you'd like.
Sometimes it's just nice to be out there and I like sharing so.......

Take care.

Ran up to CR monday from Vancouver ...like glass...and tried to get into Telegraph Cove tuesday but the last stretch was a little too lumpy for my liking so came back and stayed with some friends on Quadra.
Fished last part of the ebb in early afternoon and boxed a 14 white and ran up to Browns bay and fished the flood along with a bunch of guide boats from the lodge...lotsa doggies didnt see any salmon netted.
Will try something differnt in the am

Salmon Point is great place to go and launch boat. Lots of space to tie up once boat of trailer, even have gas right their by the ramp. Good fish cleaning station and scale and hose etc. One thing I like their is they have area which has hard surface to wash down your boat that’s great to wash down your gear right away. And the ramp is not as steep as Pacific Playgrounds ramp. At low tide you don’t have the long narrow channel to navigate back to get inside the breakwater. I belive its about 5 miles from Salmon Point to CR Hump, and about 7 mile to Pacific Playgrounds the. Ya first time at Pacfic with a friend we came back at a low tide and that was lots of fun, one point engine all the way up and we paddled in, but we wanted to get back thats my spin on it.

Thanks for the tips on salmon pt.. I will try that next time since I do not want to launch the boat with the camper on at PP..just too steep.. asking for a disaster to happen.

Reports say the green can is on fire today.. Sadly no boat to fish with for about a week unless someone's got a spot open for Tomorrow and needs a buddy.

Report came from Tyee Marine

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we got to the Green Can around mid-morning, lots of boats, one guy said he got one, not sure of the size. Two nice tacks, then the weeds moved in on the tide change, lots of friggin weeds. We did not see anything being caught, before we packed it in.

Fished the CR hump yesterday for a couple of hours before boating back to Vancouver.Had a slab hit at 200 ft on a spoon...tripped the release and felt like it was still attached to the rigger for a few moments ...very heavy....then it ran but when the flasher came up it came unhooked....didnt see the fish.After that we were busy hooking weeds.

Couldnt help but notice the large schools of Soxs on there way down. I heard buzzes they have arrived in Seyward is that true?? I know they were in Blackfish Sound this weekend. Isnt it a little early??

Couldnt help but notice the large schools of Soxs on there way down. I heard buzzes they have arrived in Seyward is that true?? I know they were in Blackfish Sound this weekend. Isnt it a little early??

They are probably Pinks. They are a little late this year.

Back