Building A Forge!

Well I finally got the anvil in last week. Ordered it through a local Ridgid dealer and it was custom made to order, shipped from Milwaukee or something. A buddy hooked me up huge and I got it for less than half price. Still a big ticket item at $1300 :confused:

This is what I came up with to keep it pinned down tight. The extra chain wraps are to deaden the PING.

View attachment 37204

So the day the anvil arrived I actually tested out things by hammering out this little guy. Made it out of 7/8" round bar.

View attachment 37205
I got some crops of W2 from a bolt making shop a friend works at. It hardened well but as you can see when I tried to take a wobble out (after quenching) it snapped. It only took an hour to get to where I did and to be honest I was pretty tickled. It's a lot of fun :) What you see in the pic is 100% shaped on the anvil. The only shaping with the grinder was on the butt end after I cut it off.

SO TODAY THOUGH I got REEEALLY confident and cut a chunk of 1-1/4" round bar about 7" long and starting smacking it. :eek:
Jesus Christ is that a whole lot harder. I managed to get it down to a 2-1/2" x 12" x 3/8" bar after getting a buddy to hold it while I gave my all with an 8 lb sledge. When my arm recovers I'll get back to it... honest. o_O

That's one of my buddies latest knives. Making Damascus has by far been the most interesting part of this. View attachment 42538

One of my last ones.....
So I got the frame built today between site visits. My employees understand this benefits them too so they're ok with me slacking off a bit... I hope. I guess you could say it's done? Might paint the frame. Might put some type of tank holder in, probably not. All in this was about 16 hours of work, 2 hours of YouTube, around $500 and a dozen trips to the store. Can't wait for the anvil to show up.View attachment 36785

looks good , you going to add any kao wool or refrac to your forge

Making a sturdy kitchen knife. Something between a chefs knife and a utility knife. Playing with canister Damascus, pretty fun. Tough to set by hand. View attachment 42535 View attachment 42536 View attachment 42537

getting it to weld is tough but your doing it.....gentle blows to set then add some more ooomph with each heat.......
too bad I just sold everything in my shop last fall , little giant power hammer , anvils , tools , paragon ovens , forges , steel , handle material , 15 years worth

One of my last ones.....

looks good , you going to add any kao wool or refrac to your forge
Wasn't planning on it. I heard it helps but being made of such thick plate that thing retains heat like you wouldn't believe.

getting it to weld is tough but your doing it.....gentle blows to set then add some more ooomph with each heat.......
too bad I just sold everything in my shop last fall , little giant power hammer , anvils , tools , paragon ovens , forges , steel , handle material , 15 years worth
God I wish. Being that it's just a hobby I don't think I could have justified spending any more than I already have either way lol. It is addicting though.

Career for you or just a hobby? How come you sold everything? I always assume guys are 40 for some reason, maybe you're retired.

Wasn't planning on it. I heard it helps but being made of such thick plate that thing retains heat like you wouldn't believe.

God I wish. Being that it's just a hobby I don't think I could have justified spending any more than I already have either way lol. It is addicting though.

Ah yes addicting it is......you’ll have a pile of anvils before you know it lol !

Career for you or just a hobby? How come you sold everything? I always assume guys are 40 for some reason, maybe you're retired.

Just a hobby that was turning into 20-30 hours a week to keep up......
we ended up selling our acreage downsizing and getting a little closer to town ,
ha ! not 40 but semi retired now at 50.....fishing more ;)

Back