Building A Forge!

So I got the frame built today between site visits. My employees understand this benefits them too so they're ok with me slacking off a bit... I hope. I guess you could say it's done? Might paint the frame. Might put some type of tank holder in, probably not. All in this was about 16 hours of work, 2 hours of YouTube, around $500 and a dozen trips to the store. Can't wait for the anvil to show up.Resized_20180227_140152.jpeg

How much heat do you expect where the shut off valves are? From an aspect of safety wouldn’t it be better to have the tanks located a further distance from your fire box?

How much heat do you expect where the shut off valves are? From an aspect of safety wouldn’t it be better to have the tanks located a further distance from your fire box?
I ran it for a half hour today right after putting the bottles there. When I shut it down they were ice cold. It's a really good point though and defintely something I'm going to keep an eye on.

I ran it for a half hour today right after putting the bottles there. When I shut it down they were ice cold. It's a really good point though and defintely something I'm going to keep an eye on.

I was thinking about a situation where you may have to kill the propane supply quickly. Perhaps a fire or a ruptured propane line.

My brother made a small forge himself. He wanted to make his own bronze (from copper and aluminum), to make sailboat parts for his wood sailboat. He used fire bricks and fire mortar, but no metal surround. then for torches he used 2 Tiger torches, aimed diagonally into the forge which created a swirling heat inside. He bought a crucible to heat the metal in. obtained 2600 degrees fairenheit to melt the copper, added the aluminum and poured his bronze castings. those tiger torches are loud.
I hope your machine is a great success. Looks good.

My brother made a small forge himself. He wanted to make his own bronze (from copper and aluminum), to make sailboat parts for his wood sailboat. He used fire bricks and fire mortar, but no metal surround. then for torches he used 2 Tiger torches, aimed diagonally into the forge which created a swirling heat inside. He bought a crucible to heat the metal in. obtained 2600 degrees fairenheit to melt the copper, added the aluminum and poured his bronze castings. those tiger torches are loud.
I hope your machine is a great success. Looks good.
About half way through this thing I was wishing I had done something like that :p
Sounds awesome!

So? Have you forged anything yet?
Well I finally got the anvil in last week. Ordered it through a local Ridgid dealer and it was custom made to order, shipped from Milwaukee or something. A buddy hooked me up huge and I got it for less than half price. Still a big ticket item at $1300 :confused:

This is what I came up with to keep it pinned down tight. The extra chain wraps are to deaden the PING.

Resized_20180330_183431.jpeg

So the day the anvil arrived I actually tested out things by hammering out this little guy. Made it out of 7/8" round bar.

Resized_20180320_183354.jpeg
I got some crops of W2 from a bolt making shop a friend works at. It hardened well but as you can see when I tried to take a wobble out (after quenching) it snapped. It only took an hour to get to where I did and to be honest I was pretty tickled. It's a lot of fun :) What you see in the pic is 100% shaped on the anvil. The only shaping with the grinder was on the butt end after I cut it off.

SO TODAY THOUGH I got REEEALLY confident and cut a chunk of 1-1/4" round bar about 7" long and starting smacking it. :eek:
Jesus Christ is that a whole lot harder. I managed to get it down to a 2-1/2" x 12" x 3/8" bar after getting a buddy to hold it while I gave my all with an 8 lb sledge. When my arm recovers I'll get back to it... honest. o_O

That’s a hefty price tag for a anvil!

That looks good for your first try. They are always concerned about the blade breaking when they try and straighten it after the quench...

Looking forward to seeing some more of your work.

Well I finally got the anvil in last week. Ordered it through a local Ridgid dealer and it was custom made to order, shipped from Milwaukee or something. A buddy hooked me up huge and I got it for less than half price. Still a big ticket item at $1300 :confused:

This is what I came up with to keep it pinned down tight. The extra chain wraps are to deaden the PING.

View attachment 37204

So the day the anvil arrived I actually tested out things by hammering out this little guy. Made it out of 7/8" round bar.

View attachment 37205
I got some crops of W2 from a bolt making shop a friend works at. It hardened well but as you can see when I tried to take a wobble out (after quenching) it snapped. It only took an hour to get to where I did and to be honest I was pretty tickled. It's a lot of fun :) What you see in the pic is 100% shaped on the anvil. The only shaping with the grinder was on the butt end after I cut it off.

SO TODAY THOUGH I got REEEALLY confident and cut a chunk of 1-1/4" round bar about 7" long and starting smacking it. :eek:
Jesus Christ is that a whole lot harder. I managed to get it down to a 2-1/2" x 12" x 3/8" bar after getting a buddy to hold it while I gave my all with an 8 lb sledge. When my arm recovers I'll get back to it... honest. o_O
you will be looking for a power hammer :) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...er/1335392887?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Nathan showed me pics of your forge John. I didn' know it was you lol

If you find you are going through a lot of propane and it get's pricey, or freezes, or for whatever reasons if you want to change to natural gas (fair bit cheaper than propane) and you have a gas meter at your shop you can ask Fortis to come change the meter to high flow and put a separate line on it with a different size regulator. I got it done at my home for no cost because I use natural gas in large amounts for a home business. They came and did the meter stuff for free then I got a gas furnace company to come (needed to be a licensed installer) and put a shut off on the new line with a 30' flexible gas line on it. Only cost a $100 for them to come out. I bought the supplies myself. Just that Fortis wanted to know a licensed company put the other stuff on the meter. I'm using about 300,000 BTU's per hour so needed the upgrade. The orifice's would need to be changed or drilled out a bit bigger I believe if you swap to natural gas.

I smashed steel today...

This is where I got to before my arm called it quits. By this point I felt like I was being too picky anyways. On to the grinder. Resized_20180405_184738.jpeg

So forging time today was about an hour so that's two hours total from a round bar. I have a ****** ROK 6x48 belt sander. I used a 40 grit belt and this was the result of about and hour and a half of grinding. I managed to get all the hammer marks out and THIS TIME it's dead straight. Whenever the wife goes out with friends again I'll start doing the finer grinding, it's the only time she really can't give me a hard time about not building the house.

Resized_20180405_214456.jpeg

Back