Braided Line VS Stainless on Scotty's

Well this has turned into quite a debate! I know many very good guides, much better than me, that use braid. I dont know any guide that uses a black box. I dont even think I know any guide that still uses cable.. There is just waay more pros with braid. Maybe the only con in my opinion is that if you stack a rod, the release clip may slide a little, but its few and far between that we ever stack rods.. To each his own though, it all comes down to what do you feel confident with.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

IFL has it rite if your confident your rods are gonna go bottom line.

FFG89 calls bullshat maybe just dissagree buddy there's alot of guys that have way more time on the water than you take everyone's advise and use it all the little things ad up to being consistant.
Have fun gettin them coho's.

IFL has it rite if your confident your rods are gonna go bottom line.

FFG89 calls bullshat maybe just dissagree buddy there's alot of guys that have way more time on the water than you take everyone's advise and use it all the little things ad up to being consistant.
Have fun gettin them coho's.

Bannans- I totally Agree. I learn alot on this site. But a little debate never hurt.

I switched to braid to have a little less drag in the water. Never noticed a difference in my catching ratio. I know lots of people using both. My grandpa has been fishing the westcoast for over 50 years and he switched and has not seen a difference. Im not saying braid is better. That being said ive fished my share and Ive never landed any fish over 40. But I know ive had them on the line and lost a few monsters at the boat due to lack of knowledge and experience. But all were on braid.

-Steve

Bannans- I totally Agree. I learn alot on this site. But a little debate never hurt.

I switched to braid to have a little less drag in the water. Never noticed a difference in my catching ratio. I know lots of people using both. My grandpa has been fishing the westcoast for over 50 years and he switched and has not seen a difference. Im not saying braid is better. That being said ive fished my share and Ive never landed any fish over 40. But I know ive had them on the line and lost a few monsters at the boat due to lack of knowledge and experience. But all were on braid.

-Steve

Of course it's more than one variable. Wire or braid will not alone alter your course, but it certainly could detract from your success if all things considered equals your consistency. For me I won't gamble on chaniging a thing at this point.

I'm plenty happy with my average.;)

Of course it's more than one variable. Wire or braid will not alone alter your course, but it certainly could detract from your success if all things considered equals your consistency. For me I won't gamble on chaniging a thing at this point.

I'm plenty happy with my average.;)

Only this year have I been unhappy with my results fishing chinooks. I dont think that enough to make me change back to wire. when I was fishing braid the last 5 years and hitting lots. Just not this year.

-Steve

Only this year have I been unhappy with my results fishing chinooks. I dont think that enough to make me change back to wire. when I was fishing braid the last 5 years and hitting lots. Just not this year.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

-Steve

Soooo much to learn Glasshoppa
orly_mr_miyagi.jpg

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

-Steve

Soooo much to learn Glasshoppa
orly_mr_miyagi.jpg

S/S is a pain in the a&&. I'm done with the line frays, random breakage and difficulty changing up things if you hang a ball on the bottom. Braid is so much more reliable and easy to deal with...and there is no difference in catch ratio...unless you don't believe in what you are fishing.

Searun

th_067.jpg

S/S is a pain in the a&&. I'm done with the line frays, random breakage and difficulty changing up things if you hang a ball on the bottom. Braid is so much more reliable and easy to deal with...and there is no difference in catch ratio...unless you don't believe in what you are fishing.

Searun

th_067.jpg

If your line is fraying you dont have a good enough swivel on the end of your downrigger you need a good ball bearing one or it will twist and you get frays, this I know from years of experimenting. like I said got 2 years out of the wire.
fishfly just because dave is your bud and hes fishing way up north doesnt make him the best of the best yes hes good but he also gets to fish in a honey hole of a spot I know was up there for 15 years. you cant compare there to fishing sooke totally 2 different areas.

For deeper water fishing yeah id probablly go to braid (maybe) but for sooke where you dont fish much past a 100 ft ill stick to wire.
BTW wheres my 25 cents.... LOL LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

If your line is fraying you dont have a good enough swivel on the end of your downrigger you need a good ball bearing one or it will twist and you get frays, this I know from years of experimenting. like I said got 2 years out of the wire.
fishfly just because dave is your bud and hes fishing way up north doesnt make him the best of the best yes hes good but he also gets to fish in a honey hole of a spot I know was up there for 15 years. you cant compare there to fishing sooke totally 2 different areas.

For deeper water fishing yeah id probablly go to braid (maybe) but for sooke where you dont fish much past a 100 ft ill stick to wire.
BTW wheres my 25 cents.... LOL LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Well here is a tip concerning downrigger cables.

There are four things on the end of all my downrigger cables prior to the weights and I can change them out quickly. I have never timed it, but probably just a couple of minutes. If you do get a birds nest, I have pretty much learned – don’t miss with it just cut it out and be done with it. It’s not worth my time and it will usually end up creating other problems anyway resulting in lost gear. Yes, that applies to braid, also.

If you use ‘Cannon Terminator Kit’, you are familiar with these items. If you are not – get familiar, it will save you a lot of time and money. Most I fish with, even friends with Scotty now use these:
1. cushion
2. terminator
3. snap swivel
4. snap swivel with an insulator.

Don’t go out and by those items in a ‘Cannon Terminator Kit’, if you watch and don’t lose your gear usually the only thing you will have to replace is the ‘Terminator’ itself. All the rest can be used over and over again for years and the individual parts can be purchased a lot cheaper here:
http://www.fish307.com/779100101-cushionsleeveterminator.aspx
http://www.fish307.com/769100100-terminator.aspx
http://www.fish307.com/789100620-snapswivel.aspx
http://www.fish307.com/342200148-snapandinsulator.aspx

You are going to get frays in braid (kinks using wire), I don’t care how careful or what you use. Don’t throw all that stuff away. Use it to rebuild your release clips when they get a fray or kink. And don’t throw any release clips away – rebuilding them is easy and a lot cheaper than buying new ones. Just take a good section of that bad wire, a couple of sleeves, and you are back as good as new. The pads on the release clips are also cheap and easily replaced.

Back