Braided Line VS Stainless on Scotty's

quote:Originally posted by highlights

.........meanwhile the rest of us wire using wannabes just sit here in the cold. Sorry Trev. You didn't make the list pal. LOL

All in good fun.:D

All in good fun! :D

I don’t think Trevor will have a problem not making that list? If I remember correctly in 2009 there were only TWO boats I know of catching fish, out of about 50 out of Renfrew? I being one… and another called ‘No Bananas’. Hmmm… while I don’t know what all the other boats were doing/using, I guess one thing ‘No Bananas’ and I had in common, was we were both using WIRE? LOL

"I'd use braid the more people that use braid the better.lol" :D

ya wire doesn't work i'm going to switch to.Not lol.

The braid and wire both catch fish the braid is more user friendly for sure.

Lets look at the sooke highliners just for example 1st one comes to mind is Gibby probably won more derbies than anyone on the coast he uses wire and swears by the black box,next would be Dave Kennedy he's won his fair share and uses wire,Karma won many derbs uses wire,
Wolfy he uses wire and has done good getting the odd biggie,Rollie uses wire.I'm not talkin about just catching fish i'm talkin about getting big fish over 35lbs consistantly.I bet if you did a servey 90% of the consistant guys getting big fish are using wire.

In reny i know a couple of the reg guys not guides who used to get a few over 40 every year they switched to braid and get just as many fish but not as many big one's one guy switched back this year and started getting bigger fish rite away.

I'm not saying wires the end all be all but thats just what i've noticed.

ya wire doesn't work i'm going to switch to.Not lol.

The braid and wire both catch fish the braid is more user friendly for sure.

Lets look at the sooke highliners just for example 1st one comes to mind is Gibby probably won more derbies than anyone on the coast he uses wire and swears by the black box,next would be Dave Kennedy he's won his fair share and uses wire,Karma won many derbs uses wire,
Wolfy he uses wire and has done good getting the odd biggie,Rollie uses wire.I'm not talkin about just catching fish i'm talkin about getting big fish over 35lbs consistantly.I bet if you did a servey 90% of the consistant guys getting big fish are using wire.

In reny i know a couple of the reg guys not guides who used to get a few over 40 every year they switched to braid and get just as many fish but not as many big one's one guy switched back this year and started getting bigger fish rite away.

I'm not saying wires the end all be all but thats just what i've noticed.

For me, Wire</u>. As Charlie noted, ONLY buy the Good (read BEST</u>) stuff you can lay your hands on. I've run both. Didn't have any problems with the braid, but given my background, I VERY much prefer to have a CONTROLLED</u> electrical field downstairs. And, running the Cannon Mag 20 Tournament Series, I very much do. :D

That of course leads to the question of electrical field control. That is exactly what a "Black Box" is designed to do. The "cheapos" aren't worth wasting any time on. The better ones can and do very much affect your catch rate. There is a reason that 90% or more WCVI Trollers use one! They MUST</u> catch fish. A working knowledge of the "temperature" (voltage) range that each species prefers, a good piece of equipment to control that, and you WILL out-fish any rig not so equipped! Really! ;)

Now before this wanders astray, any that wish to challenge what I understand and employ in the electrical game, C'mon DOWN! I'll hazard a wage against any rig that wants to take that fact on! [^]

Good Luck with your decision! [8D]

Cheers,
Nog

For me, Wire</u>. As Charlie noted, ONLY buy the Good (read BEST</u>) stuff you can lay your hands on. I've run both. Didn't have any problems with the braid, but given my background, I VERY much prefer to have a CONTROLLED</u> electrical field downstairs. And, running the Cannon Mag 20 Tournament Series, I very much do. :D

That of course leads to the question of electrical field control. That is exactly what a "Black Box" is designed to do. The "cheapos" aren't worth wasting any time on. The better ones can and do very much affect your catch rate. There is a reason that 90% or more WCVI Trollers use one! They MUST</u> catch fish. A working knowledge of the "temperature" (voltage) range that each species prefers, a good piece of equipment to control that, and you WILL out-fish any rig not so equipped! Really! ;)

Now before this wanders astray, any that wish to challenge what I understand and employ in the electrical game, C'mon DOWN! I'll hazard a wage against any rig that wants to take that fact on! [^]

Cheers,
Nog

The thing about why I started this topic is that I have no previous experience on my own and the boat is brand new to me. The guy that previously owned didn't fish much at all and had no success when he did. I decided to go with the new braided line at the recommendation of the shop....I think i made the right choice...I guess I will find out if I catch any fish next year.

The thing about why I started this topic is that I have no previous experience on my own and the boat is brand new to me. The guy that previously owned didn't fish much at all and had no success when he did. I decided to go with the new braided line at the recommendation of the shop....I think i made the right choice...I guess I will find out if I catch any fish next year.

Interesting commentary. A year ago I formed the very strong opinion that I would never drag braid on my side again after only one days use...lol.

May not be a big difference but even the slightest advantages add up out there and I'm convinced steel holds that.

Nice to see that some of the best at "catching" agree.

Hey Larry, sounds like you may respool your side with the perlon.lol.

Interesting commentary. A year ago I formed the very strong opinion that I would never drag braid on my side again after only one days use...lol.

May not be a big difference but even the slightest advantages add up out there and I'm convinced steel holds that.

Nice to see that some of the best at "catching" agree.

Hey Larry, sounds like you may respool your side with the perlon.lol.

Well done Trev. ( No Bananas ) You held back from blowing your own horn.

The guy is humble and he slays! How many over 50 for you this year.

......and he uses wire!

The guy is humble and he slays! How many over 50 for you this year.

......and he uses wire!

Ya can't argue with success...
Could it be that the real hi-liners do everything right and that
the downrigger cable is only a part of that equation ?
the right bait,speed,tides, moon's all play a bigger factor imho.
That said, if wire works best for them ... why change ?

:)

Ya can't argue with success...
Could it be that the real hi-liners do everything right and that
the downrigger cable is only a part of that equation ?
the right bait,speed,tides, moon's all play a bigger factor imho.
That said, if wire works best for them ... why change ?

:)

X 2!
3.gif

quote:The guy is humble and he slays! How many over 50 for you this year.

Now That I would be interested in knowing!
4.gif

Many 30+ and a decent handful into the 40's to the sport rig, but alas, it seems the Real</u> Biggies have gotten a tad scant... at least in the areas I fish that is...
Idunno.gif

quote:......and he uses wire!

Go Figure
7.gif
:D

Cheers,
Nog

X 2!
3.gif

quote:The guy is humble and he slays! How many over 50 for you this year.

Now That I would be interested in knowing!
4.gif

Many 30+ and a decent handful into the 40's to the sport rig, but alas, it seems the Real</u> Biggies have gotten a tad scant... at least in the areas I fish that is...
Idunno.gif

quote:......and he uses wire!

Go Figure
7.gif
:D

Cheers,
Nog

I call Bull-#$*& Serengetti fishes braid and he got tones of huge fish including a 64 pounder. I think its just to do with knowing what your doing like Craven stated. Just cause somone uses different line doesent mean he will catch bigger fish.

-Steve

I call Bull-#$*& Serengetti fishes braid and he got tones of huge fish including a 64 pounder. I think its just to do with knowing what your doing like Craven stated. Just cause somone uses different line doesent mean he will catch bigger fish.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Cheers,
Nog

Nog, forgive my ignorance but I couldn't understand if you did or did not use a "black box" on your charterboat. I understand having it on the troller, with it's extensive electrical system.

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Cheers,
Nog

Nog, forgive my ignorance but I couldn't understand if you did or did not use a "black box" on your charterboat. I understand having it on the troller, with it's extensive electrical system.

Well this has turned into quite a debate! I know many very good guides, much better than me, that use braid. I dont know any guide that uses a black box. I dont even think I know any guide that still uses cable.. There is just waay more pros with braid. Maybe the only con in my opinion is that if you stack a rod, the release clip may slide a little, but its few and far between that we ever stack rods.. To each his own though, it all comes down to what do you feel confident with.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back