Bottom paint

CCB

Why do people paint the bottom of there boats? Is it because they don't know how to properly maintain and kill the growth and restore it back to original colour? Does the paint its self stop the growth from even growing?

I'm just wondering as I leave my boat in the water for a month at a time maybe taking it out once but sometimes not and it does in fact start to grow barnickles and hair and the fiberglass turns yellow. I'm glad I'm not in Vancouver or this happens 100x worst lol. Anyways I pressure was and spray specific chemicals from Starbrite and my boat comes out looking brand new again with a little work.

So my question is why would anybody originally paint the bottom. Not repaint if on a used boat already done but first coat. As it seems to be a major undergoing and also even more work once you have to scrape off 5 layers.

Cheers

Because they leave their boats in the water year round. Not everyone trailers their boats and may only pull them once a year or send for maintenance.

Why do people paint the bottom of there boats? Is it because they don't know how to properly maintain and kill the growth and restore it back to original colour? Does the paint its self stop the growth from even growing?

I'm just wondering as I leave my boat in the water for a month at a time maybe taking it out once but sometimes not and it does in fact start to grow barnickles and hair and the fiberglass turns yellow. I'm glad I'm not in Vancouver or this happens 100x worst lol. Anyways I pressure was and spray specific chemicals from Starbrite and my boat comes out looking brand new again with a little work.

So my question is why would anybody originally paint the bottom. Not repaint if on a used boat already done but first coat. As it seems to be a major undergoing and also even more work once you have to scrape off 5 layers.

Cheers

If you put an ablative bottom paint on, it sloughs off like a bar of soap and you don't have to scrape. good luck. DAJ

Bottom paint on a trailered boat is a bit of a red flag for me. Usually hides damage/improper gelcoat repair

Ablative bottom paint saves hours and hours of agrivating bottom cleaning. Leave a boat in the month of June, or August seem to be the worst.

I'd rather apply new bottom coat every few years then get under there and scrape. IF you don't moor often, it doesn't do much, but once you have had heavy growth, you'll apreciate it.

Most good ablative paints (I use ACP-50 myself), will come off with a good pressure washing anyway, so removal isn't a problem, but you don't have to remove it. Clean the bottom, and roll 'er on again.

Keep rolling till the can is empty. Or if you want to be fancy, put a layer of one colour on, then another layer of the same compatible brand on but in a different colour, then you can see it sloughing through.

Back